• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Eyeball ripping LED headlights

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Once again the nights are drawing in and headlights are on, not only do we have the flashes of blue spectrum behind that make you think the coppers are in hot pursuit but we have eyball ripping traffic coming the other way.

Had a sponny new Kia Sportage flash me to cross a junction earlier and the fucking thing nearly burnt my eyeballs out.

I know its modern technology but it seems poorly tested, implemented and regulated especially on cheap cars.

I love it when I can see my silhouette on a motorway sign!

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I was brought up on the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" illumination.O.o

I remember that, yellowish flickering lights that actually made little difference if they were on or not.

I always liked the speedos that used to wibble around giving a speed anywhere between 50 and 80 mph and the fuel gauges that showed empty until you tapped them then went to full. Neither was right.

Edited by davidg

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Yup.  You knew where you were with Lucas.

Actually you didn't! You were stuck somewhere on a heath in Surrey, surrounded by zombies!

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

I remember that, yellowish flickering lights that actually made little difference if they were on or not.

I always liked the speedos that used to wibble around giving a speed anywhere between 50 and 80 mph and the fuel gauges that showed empty until you tapped them then went to full. Neither was right.

I'll bet you are fond of solid rear axles, drum brakes, and cart springs!

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

Sounds like the English version of Magnetti Marelli.

Dangerous and in need of regulation.

If I have those coming at me on a two lane A road I lose sight of the side of the road and so steer closer to the middle and the oncoming car; not to cause an accident or initimidate the other driver but because I don't want to clip the kerb / bank and potentially roll my car.

So it's actually more dangerous for them as well as I am going to be closer to them.

16 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Anyone remember those £3 amber night driving glasses that used to be onsale in petrol stations in the early 90's?

Ima get me a pair

They'll not help if you're youngish, but if you're early stage cataract (which might be normally unnoticeable, so maybe if aged 55+) you might find a significant benefit of using an amber tint.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

They'll not help if you're youngish, but if you're early stage cataract (which might be normally unnoticeable, so maybe if aged 55+) you might find a significant benefit of using an amber tint.

polarised glasses help a lot, even clear ones, especially in the rain at night.

LEDs use pulse width modulation to control brightness. That means they give out a distracting pulsing output. It's very noticeable when viewed through the rear view mirror. 

Don't get me started on Audi's ridiculous sweeping indicators. Can we just go back to filament bulbs and amber lenses please?

2 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

LEDs use pulse width modulation to control brightness. That means they give out a distracting pulsing output. It's very noticeable when viewed through the rear view mirror. 

Don't get me started on Audi's ridiculous sweeping indicators. Can we just go back to filament bulbs and amber lenses please?

Those Audi affairs are the definition of fashion victim imo: the automotive equivalent of deely boppers.   A tried-and-tested system replaced by a novelty that actually performs worse than the traditional solution, like a sort of trafficator Theresa May.  

The only thing worse are those Noughties Passat things, that you cannot see at all.

2 hours ago, davidg said:

My spider has an unbaffled tank so the guage can go from half full to empty on a hard corner.

However, the back end is so light, you never drive it less than half full unless you are a big fan of drifting on roundabouts. I normally keep 10 reams of paper in the boot to keep it on the right track

However, for headlights, crossing with the hot hatch thread, you really need a batch of six kc daylighters up front. Though I am sure they used to be called ceebie daylighters? 

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

It could be worse, you could be an Audi driver. O.o

I always thought Audis were driven by people who couldn't afford a BMW but wouldn't lower themselves to drive a VW.

Edited by Chewing Grass
bloody hell that went wrong

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I always thought Audis were driven by people who couldn't afford a BMW but wouldn't lower themselves to drive a VW.

Dunno but Audi and drive in the same sentence is an oxymoron. They clearly can't. The car for those who have no driving skills whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Dangerous and in need of regulation.

If I have those coming at me on a two lane A road I lose sight of the side of the road and so steer closer to the middle and the oncoming car; not to cause an accident or initimidate the other driver but because I don't want to clip the kerb / bank and potentially roll my car.

So it's actually more dangerous for them as well as I am going to be closer to them.

Dunno whether this is any use, but something I learnt on a bike forum is to stare slightly away from the lights. You'll still be able to discern movement OK with your rods, and as soon as you've passed you switch back to normal view [film reference anyone?] and the spot of temporary blindness will be off-centre from your vision and you'll be able to see OK. It works, but you have to catch it before it dazzles you.