DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Home cooking is great.

Popuplights

Popuplights

Had some friends round for lunch. I decided to smoke some chickens on my smoker. 

Seasoning was just salt and pepper. I spatchcocked the birds, and they smoked for about 2 hours over oak and hickory. 

The results were excellent. The smoking transforms an inexpensive supermarket chicken. 

Screenshot_20211121-173853.jpg

Screenshot_20211121-173858.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 7

The Grey Man
36 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Had some friends round for lunch. I decided to smoke some chickens on my smoker. 

Seasoning was just salt and pepper. I spatchcocked the birds, and they smoked for about 2 hours over oak and hickory. 

The results were excellent. The smoking transforms an inexpensive supermarket chicken. 

Screenshot_20211121-173853.jpg

Screenshot_20211121-173858.jpg

They look very tasty!

• Cheers 1

Which sort of smoker do you have? I've packed mine away, not a huge meat eater at the best of times, but I'm wondering if I should do some turkey on mine for Christmas. It might even taste not like cardboard...

Popuplights
2 hours ago, spunko said:

Which sort of smoker do you have? I've packed mine away, not a huge meat eater at the best of times, but I'm wondering if I should do some turkey on mine for Christmas. It might even taste not like cardboard...

I have a Weber smokey mountain.

Smoked turkey would be awesome

The Grey Man

I normally avoid carbs but this time of year I get the munchies.

The business paid for it.

Some Sainsburys artisan bread, cheddar, pastrami, tomato, ice berg lettuce, mayo, some muatard and then a bit of piccalli. A few slices of piccled gherkin.20211122_212931.thumb.jpg.f9b2bd5380ca2eeb710cf20477868fec.jpg

My tastes..just for me.

• Agree 2

On 22/11/2021 at 19:08, spunko said:

I'm wondering if I should do some turkey on mine for Christmas.

Apparently the new craze in America this thanksgiving is deep fried Turkey. Apparently it’s better than roasted because it keeps it moist and juicy (or something like that):

https://slate.com/culture/2012/11/deep-fried-turkey-recipe-why-you-should-never-cook-your-thanksgiving-bird-any-other-way.html

On 22/11/2021 at 21:46, Popuplights said:

I have a Weber smokey mountain.

Smoked turkey would be awesome

The results look great and I believe there are 37, 47 and 57 cm models.

None of those seem that big in comparison to a standard bbq ....... do I need the biggest to be able to smoke, say, a Boston Butt or would that be too large?

Sorry for the idiot questions but any guidance appreciated!

Popuplights

I have the 22 inch version. There are 2 levels of rack to smoke on, and a water pan which sits below the racks and moderates the heat. 

It's plenty big enough for me, I have smoked a 6 kg brisket easily. 

The best thing about it is the fact it maintains a constant temperature for hours with a single load of charcoal. 

On 27/11/2021 at 14:02, Popuplights said:

I have the 22 inch version. There are 2 levels of rack to smoke on, and a water pan which sits below the racks and moderates the heat. 

It's plenty big enough for me, I have smoked a 6 kg brisket easily. 

The best thing about it is the fact it maintains a constant temperature for hours with a single load of charcoal. 

Thanks!  Very helpful.

sarahbell

We had toad in the hole yesterday. Mostly cos I fancied pancakes when I came down to the kitchen after work.

They're almost the same. So left overs heated up for lunch. 

• Cheers 1