• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
davidg

Diane Abbot's loo threatens London

Central London has a 150 year old sewage system built for ?2 million people that is now coping with ?8 million (I know there'svmore in Greater London but they have their own systems in the 'burbs).

It's been in managed decline for years and needs serious money spending on it rather than HS2.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Central London has a 150 year old sewage system built for ?2 million people that is now coping with ?8 million (I know there'svmore in Greater London but they have their own systems in the 'burbs).

It's been in managed decline for years and needs serious money spending on it rather than HS2.

It's a tribute to the engineering skills of the Victorian age that it still works at all!

50 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Those comuting into central London should do their bit by exercising self-control and only defacating in the suburbs.

Another opportunity for the self driving car.

car-toilet-.jpg

Edited by onlyme

My dead Uncle did sewers. He had a consultancy that put new ones down and sorted out old ones.

Some of the brickwork is stunning.

The problem is takeaways and their fat/oil/grease.

We were down to do a sewerbot together. But then he died.

Roboturdkilla was filed away.

The stench from congealed cooking fat bergs that block sewers is something that you will never forget once you have smelt it. It's staggeringly powerful and causes retching in all but the most hardy individuals. I worked for a while dealing with blocked drains (always near a restaurant for some reason) and I can tell you it was the least pleasant job I've ever done.  In comparison to fat blockages raw sewage smelt like fresh roses. If you got any of that fat on your skin then you would smell for the rest of you life unless you severed that part of the body immediately. We would throw our thick rubber rigger gloves in the bin after each job and use fresh ones each time, such was the vile stench.

Edited by the gardener

26 minutes ago, spygirl said:

My dead Uncle did sewers.

My uncles the lord mayor of lahdan
He works in the sewers by night
when he comes home in the morning
He smells of the smell of shite.

6 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Looks like another collation of thoughts and ideas from Endemol.

Funnily enough , Peter Bazalgette,  former Chairman of Endemol UK and Creative Director of Endemol Group worldwide,  is the great-great-grandson of Victorian civil engineer Joseph Bazalgette who created the wonderful London sewer system.

The decline of Great Britain illustrated in just one family tree.

Edited by Fischer

On 9/27/2017 at 18:50, Chewing Grass said:

Those comuting into central London should do their bit by exercising self-control and only defacating in the suburbs.

Sod that - I take a dump in Westminster Monday to Friday. Better on the firms bill than mine.

On 9/27/2017 at 20:08, the gardener said:

The stench from congealed cooking fat bergs that block sewers is something that you will never forget once you have smelt it. It's staggeringly powerful and causes retching in all but the most hardy individuals. I worked for a while dealing with blocked drains (always near a restaurant for some reason) and I can tell you it was the least pleasant job I've ever done.  In comparison to fat blockages raw sewage smelt like fresh roses. If you got any of that fat on your skin then you would smell for the rest of you life unless you severed that part of the body immediately. We would throw our thick rubber rigger gloves in the bin after each job and use fresh ones each time, such was the vile stench.

I remember serving a Prohibition Notice on a Kebab shop[ owner I caught cleaning out the fat clogged sewer behind his shop between serving up kebabs. The top of the manhole looked like the top of a Lasagne.

On 27/09/2017 at 13:08, the gardener said:

Sewers in residential areas don't tend to block because of the detergent from all the individual washing machines and dishwashers breaking down the excrement and used cooking oils going down the drains.

In central areas with a higher ratio of oil and crap to detergent it doesn't get broken down.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Frank, are you a consultant to the poo industry?

I know everyone likes to blame Ms Abbot for everything, but I don't think she is personally responsible for this.

Now if Corbyn got in and Abbot was put in Sec of State for Environment, then technically she could be responsible for Fatburgs.

On 27/09/2017 at 15:24, Fischer said:

Funnily enough , Peter Bazalgette,  former Chairman of Endemol UK and Creative Director of Endemol Group worldwide,  is the great-great-grandson of Victorian civil engineer Joseph Bazalgette who created the wonderful London sewer system.

The decline of Great Britain illustrated in just one family tree.

I think it's what he's deliberately referencing as I mentioned it on another thread.

6 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I think it's what he's deliberately referencing as I mentioned it on another thread.

Yes. And it's shocking actually.

I was good friends with Archie, a very senior engineer over 40 years with Weir Pumps. He literally died of old age on the job with the Bangkok stormwater pumoing system. Weir begged and begged him to keep working well past retirement, as nobody could do his job properly.

When he died, a lot of knowhow died with him.

Its unbelievable that we let proven systems like engineering apprenticeships wither on the vine so now we just have a nation of idiots.

40 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Its unbelievable that we let proven systems like engineering apprenticeships wither on the vine so now we just have a nation of idiots.

At first job saw apprenticeships replaced with YTS schemes. Companies took the money and ditched the apprenticeship schemes and any any commitment they ever had to them, then they complain at lack of skills - pretty much all self-inflicted. Meanwhile the tertiary sector pump out degrees useful mainly for creating more tertiary level educators.