DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cashless Society

Hase2001

Not strictly COVID related, but has anyone noticed the rise of "cashless" businesses since the last lockdown? When the government stated that touching notes and coins can spread the disease, but touching cards and pin terminals cannot.

There are a few small bars / coffee shops that proudly declare they do not take cash. Similarly, a new Tesco opened nearby where only one of the checkouts accepted cash - the automated self checkout machines were all "card only".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is worried about this latest change. Cash is one of the last freedoms we have, both in terms of making relatively anonymous purchases without our full legal name / date / time / location being recorded, and in terms of having freedom from the banking system.

• Agree 8

sarahbell

But as people are only buying bloody coffee it's probably a good idea big brother can monitor how much caffeine and sugar they're having.

• Lol 2

Snake Plissken

Banks charge small business more to pay in cash now. Easier for them just to not bother with it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

32 minutes ago, mosstrooper said:

The problem with cash is it exposes real inflation. People don't notice prices when paying with cards...

I've not noticed inflation today

Wetherspoons pint £1.99

Sun Inn, Stockton £2.70

Lucifers, Stockton £3.20

Shit it's going up by the minute. But so is the beer quality...

Bricks & Mortar

No, I haven't noticed.  The local businesses are all accepting cash just the same as they always did.  There's hasn't been any new businesses opened locally.  The diy shop has a sign up recommending card use if possible.  I think its the staff that wanted that.  They're mostly retirement age in there.

Don't walk past one without telling them you'd like to buy something but only have cash.  You may have to actually buy something, if they agree to take it.  

25 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

No, I haven't noticed.  The local businesses are all accepting cash just the same as they always did.  There's hasn't been any new businesses opened locally.  The diy shop has a sign up recommending card use if possible.  I think its the staff that wanted that.  They're mostly retirement age in there.

Don't walk past one without telling them you'd like to buy something but only have cash.  You may have to actually buy something, if they agree to take it.  

Bought my Christmas cards at Darwen market - said sorry I've just been to the cashy and only have £20 notes. That's alright fella he said so got the big cards..5 for £9 :)

Edited by Stuey
  • Agree 1

supernaut

Girlfriend went to a Thai massage place yesterday, cash only.

She says she saw some guy in the waiting room when she was coming out who wouldn't look at her .

Girlfriend does occasional sports massage's on me as qualified, I enquired if I should try a Thai massage, she insisted it would be no good for me

• Informative 1
  • Lol 2

sarahbell
4 minutes ago, Rollseyes said:

I miss Thai massages in Thailand, particularly those with soap, if you catch my drift. 

They had a Thai massage place down in failsworth. 'massage' 

mosstrooper
1 hour ago, ccc said:

Contactless already £100

Like I said earlier, the zombies won't know the price increases when they swipe there cards. Also, another issue of inflation and cash...the banks won't have enough cash if inflation goes to the moon, another reason to go cashless to try and hide inflation

• Agree 1

Hubby gets cash for window cleaner/gardener, he may use loose change for lottery. I only tend to keep £1 coin for shopping trolleys 🛒
Had to write a cheque the other day for ground rent it is only used for this and noted we have had the book since 2012.