• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Hard disk pre failure

I know there was a topic on hard disk failure. very recently, but can't seem to find it.

Anyway, there was and is something weird about my hard disk. "Smart" testing results in rapid failure. I think it was something about the checksum. Have several partitions with linux distros, one of which keeps doing weird things every day, freezing up, losing settings etc, then refusing to boot into it. Running fsck (from a different source) reveals a bunch of weird errors with orphan inodes and counts (but no bad sectors) after which distro boots successfully.  Reinstalled a new distro which is also doing weird things. Running fsck on rest of disk reveals no errors.

I know the obvious answer is to buy a new disk or laptop, but do you think it can be saved simply by deleting this partition (20 gigs out of 500) where the problems seem to be contained? (Not that I'm going to take any notice of your opinions, just curious to hear them).

edit: that probably came out wrong. I mean in the sense that sensible advice is probably wasted on me.

Edited by steppensheep

I have a feeling that when you start to get bad sectors it is symptomatic of a problem with the head,  as opposed to the particular area you are writing to.

So if it is happening in an area you use a lot,  it is probably just that the head is corrupting those sectors more because they are in constant use.  If you wipe them and start using other sectors the problem will likely just move.  

I would be inclined to be grateful you have been given a chance to get your data off before it goes kaput.   Don't look that gift horse  :)

12 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I know there was a topic on hard disk failure. very recently, but can't seem to find it.

Anyway, there was and is something weird about my hard disk. "Smart" testing results in rapid failure. I think it was something about the checksum. Have several partitions with linux distros, one of which keeps doing weird things every day, freezing up, losing settings etc, then refusing to boot into it. Running fsck (from a different source) reveals a bunch of weird errors with orphan inodes and counts (but no bad sectors) after which distro boots successfully.  Reinstalled a new distro which is also doing weird things. Running fsck on rest of disk reveals no errors.

I know the obvious answer is to buy a new disk or laptop, but do you think it can be saved simply by deleting this partition (20 gigs out of 500) where the problems seem to be contained? (Not that I'm going to take any notice of your opinions, just curious to hear them).

edit: that probably came out wrong. I mean in the sense that sensible advice is probably wasted on me.

Freezing up can cause orphan inodes.  Orphan inodes can cause freezing up. 

Difficult to say whether it is cause or effect.

But £40 (or whatever)  buys reassurance either way.

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I have a feeling that when you start to get bad sectors

Although i dont know if there were bad sectors initially, for the last couple of weeks it has mostly been about these inodes and counts. There's no data to lose, so I will probably see how it goes.

e2fsck -f -y -v -C 0 /dev/sda4  00:00:07    ( SUCCESS )

Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. Fix? yes

Inode 655894 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.
Inode 662651 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.
Inode 675718 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.
Deleted inode 682249 has zero dtime. Fix? yes

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Block bitmap differences: -(3785224--3785226) -(3785233--3785235) -(3785248--3785250) -(3786029--3786031)
Fix? yes

Free blocks count wrong for group #115 (4940, counted=4952).
Fix? yes

Free blocks count wrong (3282923, counted=3282935).
Fix? yes

Inode bitmap differences: -655894 -662651 -675718 -682249
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #80 (0, counted=1).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #81 (0, counted=1).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #82 (1, counted=2).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong for group #83 (3058, counted=3059).
Fix? yes

Free inodes count wrong (1059440, counted=1059444).
Fix? yes

/dev/sda4: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

15 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I have a feeling that when you start to get bad sectors it is symptomatic of a problem with the head,  as opposed to the particular area you are writing to.

HDs have internal bad sector remapping i.e. there is a certain amount of redundancy built in so by the time you start getting visible data errors you have used up this contingency ... so I echo what others have said, back this up immediately.

Edited by goldbug9999

1 minute ago, steppensheep said:

Although i dont know if there were bad sectors initially, for the last couple of weeks it has mostly been about these inodes and counts. There's no data to lose, so I will probably see how it goes.

Ditto!  It amazes me what people will store on their hard drives without backup.  I had a hard disk fail on me two years' ago, had it mended under warranty, no problem other than re-installing from the net the small suite of programmes I always use.  It would have been incovenient other than that I have two computers (one for work in the office, one for watching Youtube and DVDs in the lounge) so I had a back up.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I would be inclined to be grateful you have been given a chance to get your data off before it goes kaput.   Don't look that gift horse  :)

This. 

I just replaced a drive in an old Macbook Pro that was giving me the old beachball constantly and taking forever to restart. Just a cheap secondhand drive from eBay but it's like a new machine now - not a bad result for £7!