• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JackieO

Explain your Avatar

Recommended Posts

I've had mine for over a decade and consequently its origins are lost in the mists of time. Erranta once complained it had masonic symbolism, so I changed it to an eight ball from pool, and he complained about that too! No pleasing some nutters.....

Edited by eight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a highbrow answer or a lowbrow:

  • In a mind controlled dystopia, wearing a fake control cap and saying "Hail the Tripod" allowed the men with free minds to pass unnoticed and eventually undermine the masters.
  • Playing up to the stereotype of how all men like to brag about having a big cock.

It's a bit of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Henry Fonda as Tom Joad from The Grapes of Wrath. A favourite book and seemed quite fitting when I joined ToS, though this is a different pic to the one I used there as it seems to have disappeared from the internet.

(On ToS it is a technicolour pic of him with two young kids looking poor, hungry and forlorn, as I often do with my wee ones!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is my third avatar from ToS, starting with Sid the Sexist and then Richard Nixon, these were both ironic as was my location of West Wales which was how the Anglo Saxons referred to Cornwall.

But as nobody got the irony and everyone just assumed that I was a Welsh fan of Richard Nixon I decided to have something a bit more representative of myself which is an icon from the late 80s indie music scene, the Felt cover featuring Martin Duffy their keyboardist who is sporting a very late 80s indie look.

And not Lloyd Cole as has been thought; though he would be equally good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LC1 said:

It's Henry Fonda as Tom Joad from The Grapes of Wrath. A favourite book and seemed quite fitting when I joined ToS, though this is a different pic to the one I used there as it seems to have disappeared from the internet.

(On ToS it is a technicolour pic of him with two young kids looking poor, hungry and forlorn, as I often do with my wee ones!)

That's funny my avatar of ToS was this 

Image result for migrant mother

A photo taken of destitute Florence Owens Thompson during the great depression. She's only 33 in the photo but looks haggard. I choose that avatar for similar reasons as your grapes of wrath one. I thought we were heading for a depression back in 2007-8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JackieO said:

OK mine is Eowyn from Lord of the Rings.

A truly strong woman who fought for her family and people. She wasn't afraid of killing Orcs ;)

 

I always saw her as a likeable but rather sad character. Basically an alternative version of Cinderella where after she is lifted from domestic misery and has her moment of glory, Prince Charming marries a godlike elf-princess and she gets stuck with a disagreeable cripple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JackieO said:

OK mine is Eowyn from Lord of the Rings.

A truly strong woman who fought for her family and people. She wasn't afraid of killing Orcs ;)

 

The sexiest character in the LOTR films, I thought. Not a great beauty but phwoar anyway, the actress has X factor and was playing a strong role. 

 

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I always saw her as a likeable but rather sad character. Basically an alternative version of Cinderella where after she is lifted from domestic misery and has her moment of glory, Prince Charming marries a godlike elf-princess and she gets stuck with a disagreeable cripple. 

She marries Faramir the Steward of Gondor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swissy_fit said:

How is Faramir a disagreeable cripple? Maybe I have forgotten something from the films as I was bored by the third one, but in the book he's almost as big a handsome hero as Aragorn, and they go off and live fairy-story style HEA in Ithilien.

I thought the wounds from the battle where he nearly died (and was assumed to be dead by Denethor) left him crippled, though I haven't read the books for 30 years. And he is difficult at best in every interaction with other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I thought the wounds from the battle where he nearly died (and was assumed to be dead by Denethor) left him crippled, though I haven't read the books for 30 years. And he is difficult at best in every interaction with other people.

Haven't read the books for 30 years and yet still remember the plot, all the characters and place names as if you read it yesterday?! 

I can barely remember my own name sometimes o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LC1 said:

Haven't read the books for 30 years and yet still remember the plot, all the characters and place names as if you read it yesterday?! 

I can barely remember my own name sometimes o.O

xD Yes, I have seen the films more recently, but the wrap up of Faramir's story is vague to non-existent in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LC1 said:

Haven't read the books for 30 years and yet still remember the plot, all the characters and place names as if you read it yesterday?! 

I can barely remember my own name sometimes o.O

He's not as sad as me - I can't remember anything either, but the LOTR obviously was read at a semi-autistic stage of my development because I know the whole bloody thing, practically line by line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it a lot of thought and it took me ages before choosing mine.

I thought a green background would be nice to represent England's green and pleasant land.

Then a big F to stand for Freedom.

I see a lot of posters have been copying my wonderful uncluttered design, so it's catching on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.