DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Essential tools, tips and tricks

Loki

Thought this might be a good idea for a thread as the motoring section quite popular.  

My suggestion:

One of these gas soldering irons is ideal for directing a tiny little flame exactly where you want it.  I had a stuck flare nut on a brake line union, nothing was working and as they are soft metal I could feel it rounding even with a flare spanner.

Three goes of heating with this then spraying with PB Blaster, then just holding a sustained steady pressure on it, and off it came. 

Compared to having to cut and re-flare etc a brake pipe, I would have paid £100 for it if needed!

Apparently you can solder cables with it too!

Edited by Loki
  • Agree 1

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Thought this might be a good idea for a thread as the motoring section quite popular.  

My suggestion:

One of these gas soldering irons is ideal for directing a tiny little flame exactly where you want it.  I had a stuck flare nut on a brake line union, nothing was working and as they are soft metal I could feel it rounding even with a flare spanner.

Three goes of heating with this then spraying with PB Blaster, then just holding a sustained steady pressure on it, and off it came. 

Apparently you can solder cables with it too!

Yep, I've used a similar thing from machine mart for years.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbt1-butane-gas-torch-kit/

• Cheers 1

A mate had a Cortina Mk V with the classic on/off intermittent problem with the rear lights. Due to faulty connections. He used one of those gas torches to solder the wires directly to the board, bypassing the connectors.

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass

Have a watch of Allen cutting two three cylinder engines in two and making a four cylinder, followed by pre-heating in the barbeque, baking cookies and welding.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Have a watch of Allen cutting two three cylinder engines in two and making a four cylinder, followed by pre-heating in the barbeque, baking cookies and welding.

On YouTube, where the talk normally exceeds the talent, he’s one of the very few where the opposite is the case.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
manservantjerkins
On 04/12/2021 at 21:04, Chewing Grass said:

That was fantastic!

• Agree 1