• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Southmartin

Pen recommendations

Hi All. I'm hoping you guys can recommend a rally good pen to write with. 

Now assuming that you DOSBODS people all migrated from ToS, then it's a fair bet to say i'm not looking for the most expensive - so no Mont Blanc suggestion... likewise don't go full on 'casio' and recommend a Bic either

But something that rest nicely in the hand and helps writing flow.. You now, not too heavy, not too light.. The one Goldilocks would choose if she had a lot of handwriting to do

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

- so no Mont Blanc suggestion...

Have had hundreds of pens most of which given through work.

Including Mont Blanc, now having to write hardly anything except Christmas cards it doesn't bother me anymore, but I detest Parker pens, BIC pens, felt pens, fountain pens, but the pens I really like using are Mont Blanc types, notice that's types not necessarily Mont Blanc.

There are plenty of similar pens, in weight, balance, ink delivery, size and shape that feel the same but don't have the badge.

I was quite happy with an all metal Parker jotter I picked up for £5 on eBay, until sometime bought me one of these as a present

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parker-Chrome-Premium-Ballpoint-Medium/dp/B00383PXGW

It's not too expensive or fancy, but It fits really well in the hand, has a nice heft, and is comfortable to write with for longer periods.

30 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Do you do fountain pens? I have a Parker Duofold, as relentlessly advertised in that film "Brazil".

I like the idea of fountain pens, but the reality is always a right PITA with ink everywhere and 'scratchiness' when using

19 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Have had hundreds of pens most of which given through work.

Including Mont Blanc, now having to write hardly anything except Christmas cards it doesn't bother me anymore, but I detest Parker pens, BIC pens, felt pens, fountain pens, but the pens I really like using are Mont Blanc types, notice that's types not necessarily Mont Blanc.

There are plenty of similar pens, in weight, balance, ink delivery, size and shape that feel the same but don't have the badge.

So these are like the Skoda of the pen works then? Sounds good to me - got any names?

1 minute ago, Southmartin said:

I like the idea of fountain pens, but the reality is always a right PITA with ink everywhere and 'scratchiness' when using

And I'm a left hander.

2 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

So these are like the Skoda of the pen works then? Sounds good to me - got any names?

Not on the pens, except the company that issued them.

Standard refills I think, have to open some and have a look.

When I wrote a lot, metal barrels gave me blister type swellings on my fingers, preferred ceramic barrels, or better still soft rubberised grips.

Hopefully thicker along the shaft rather than thin.*

I know, that's what all the girls say.

7 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Have to say I really used to like my nice pens, and enjoyed writing with them, and find it a bit sad I have no real non-contrived use for them now.

Won't be messy or scratchy with decent ones Parker Sonnet, as mentioned, is a good middle of the road fountain pen. My favourite jacket pocket one used to be a Waterman Expert.

You really would not believe how well the write until you've had one. The thing with all expensive pens, that aren't fountain pens, is you're just paying for a fancy barrel the innards are the same as a £5 Parker if you have the ballpoint.

3a903b5d6f8616a091fb5ff8684f7fc7.jpg

29 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Parker, Parker, Parker! Those Sheaffers do not last!

In the early noughties Bic tried to sell Sheaffer to me but I'd never really wanted a pen company and could see it was a dying market.

I like the Sheaffer Legacy pens probably the one I use most still at my desk.

Edited by SNACR

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

In the early noughties Bic tried to sell Sheaffer to me but I'd never really wanted a pen company and could see it was a dying market.

I admire your tat warehouse!.Sheaffers all crack.

I like these ones :

ST432S1BK5_staedtler_yk_pk5_staed_432_bp

Staedler ball points, nothing fancy but then it doesn't matter if you lose or break them. 

I have a fancy Parker somewhere which is nice, it would make a much better weapon than the plastic ball points shown above.

Is this for writing or stabbing people?