DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Taking the piss at the pump

BoSon

Just seen the following news item which backs up my own surprising finding yesterday when the local Tesco was dearer than the local (known to always be pricey) independent. Absolute clown world strikes once again. [insert your favourite honkler here xD]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59508286

Retailers make shocking petrol profit, says RAC

Retailers are continuing to put up fuel prices when they should reduce them in line with savings in wholesale oil prices, the RAC motoring services organisation has claimed.

In response to concerns about the Omicron variant, oil prices fell by around $10 a barrel last week.

But this reduced wholesale fuel price has not been reflected at the pumps.

Retailers added on average another 3.1p to a litre of unleaded petrol and 2.7p to diesel in November.

The RAC said this hike in petrol prices was "completely unjustified", with larger retailers making a "shocking" profit.

In particular, the RAC pointed the finger at supermarket chains who are major fuel retailers, such as Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons, saying they should have reduced prices, but had instead increased them "unnecessarily".

I won't be buying supermarket fuel again. Even before this piss take they were often supposedly poorer quality fuels in terms of additives and whatnot that the local Shell/BP/Esso may have offered in normal grade fuel.

reformed nice guy

If the price of petrol is about £1.50 but the new type reduced the miles per gallon by about 7%, shouldnt we be thinking what the adjusted price should be ie £1.60 per litre

• Agree 3

Everyone should just start bilking ie pinching less than 20 quid. The retailers never pursue fuel loss unless it's serial offenders who get a full tank. Crash the system I say. Won't ever happen, covid has proven how weak people are. But nice to imagine a nation rebelling against the state in your head.

• Lol 2

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Everyone should just start bilking ie pinching less than 20 quid. The retailers never pursue fuel loss unless it's serial offenders who get a full tank. Crash the system I say. Won't ever happen, covid has proven how weak people are. But nice to imagine a nation rebelling against the state in your head.

Just smear the number plates with mud before going to the forecourt and blame the kids if pulled. xD

My cousin did this, not to steal petrol but to avoid speed cameras and plod apparently let him off, though he is a bit of a bullshitter so not sure I believe it.

7 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Just smear the number plates with mud before going to the forecourt and blame the kids if pulled. xD

My cousin did this, not to steal petrol but to avoid speed cameras and plod apparently let him off, though he is a bit of a bullshitter so not sure I believe it.

Depends when it was, IIRC the law changed a few years back to make "accidental" obfuscation of number plates not a valid excuse. How did they catch him if they couldnt read his plate btw?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, spunko said:

Depends when it was, IIRC the law changed a few years back to make "accidental" obfuscation of number plates not a valid excuse. How did they catch him if they couldnt read his plate btw?

Just tugged by spotting him on the road apparently.

Same as when I was pulled on the M6 by a battenberg with that mobile ANPR system, saying my plate was illegally spaced and to change it or would get done next time, and that I was lucky their ANPR could still read it or it would have been a more serious offence.

I did wonder if they can read it why bother, and see way more dodgy plates everywhere. but know better than trying to argue the toss with 'only following the rules' types like coppers and traffic wardens, gets you nowhere better.

Got shut of the plate as I'd grown out of the vanity aspect anyway and prefer nosey people not knowing where my car is parked so easily.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Just tugged by spotting him on the road apparently.

Same as when I was pulled on the M6 by a battenberg with that mobile ANPR system, saying my plate was illegally spaced and to change it or would get done next time, and that I was lucky their ANPR could still read it or it would have been a more serious offence.

I did wonder if they can read it why bother, and see way more dodgy plates everywhere. but know better than trying to argue the toss with 'only following the rules' types like coppers and traffic wardens, gets you nowhere better.

Got shut of the plate as I'd grown out of the vanity aspect anyway and prefer nosey people not knowing where my car is parked so easily.

The copper who told you it was a more serious offence was exaggerating. If the automated system cannot recognise the VRM, they send it off for manual human analysis. It's surprising how often these cameras catch a bit of glare on them, or there's poor conditions etc. It's impossible to prove in a court of law that this would be wilful obfuscation, based on one camera photo. Even if you smeared mud all over it and had an illegally spaced plate, I'd imagine a half decent solicitor would get it thrown out (although you'd probably have to admit to the speeding offence etc).

Edited by spunko
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, spunko said:

The copper who told you it was a more serious offence was exaggerating. If the automated system cannot recognise the VRM, they send it off for manual human analysis. It's surprising how often these cameras catch a bit of glare on them, or there's poor conditions etc. It's impossible to prove in a court of law that this would be wilful obfuscation, based on one camera photo. Even if you smeared mud all over it and had an illegally spaced plate, a half decent solicitor would get it thrown out.

At this time of year with all the road grime I expect zealous bored coppers are pulling people with dirty number plates.

I thought their speed cameras and ANPR had fancy ways of reading the number through the dirt (or if the plate bulbs are out when dark) either infrared or reverse negative image whatever it's called, so many supposed ways of beating the system using sprays or film come unstuck when tested in reality.

20 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I wish coppers would focus more on pavement cyclists. Fully grown adults, one in expensive clobber ffs. I see this a lot. 

They should be banned from roads where there is a dedicated cycle path nearby, selfish cunts. Think of all that council tax spent to give them the safer option and they prefer to piss about holding up motorists.

Unless they're a pro able to keep up with the flow of traffic. Similarly, slow drivers are as dangerous as fast ones, causing roadrage and dodgy overtaking manouvers out of frustration.

Cyclists should also be fined for not wearing appropriate clothing. This time of year with the low sun they still go out in dark colours with no lights and no doubt it'll be the motorist's fault for plowing into them while they're in effect stealth mode. Dumb fucks.

In rural areas there are so many crappy B roads barely fit for cars let alone anything bigger, they should change them to cycle paths and farm traffic/access only, and force sat nav mappers to get motorised traffic to avoid them. Then the cyclists and horse riders have a safer place to play and leave the bigger roads for the traffic.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

there should be a hose type contraption beside the pump that you can relieve yourself into while refuelling, providing a degree of modesty was maintained

Yep, they can recycle it to make AdBlue. xD

• Lol 2

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

There is something to do with nitrogen about it.

Stick a turbo on the suction tube to get the nitrogen out of the atmosphere. A free blowjob at the pump. xD

• Lol 1

• 3 weeks later...
Green Devil
On 04/12/2021 at 15:58, reformed nice guy said:

If the price of petrol is about £1.50 but the new type reduced the miles per gallon by about 7%, shouldnt we be thinking what the adjusted price should be ie £1.60 per litre

I think this was unleaded fuel only.

On 03/12/2021 at 08:49, BoSon said:

Just seen the following news item which backs up my own surprising finding yesterday when the local Tesco was dearer than the local (known to always be pricey) independent. Absolute clown world strikes once again. [insert your favourite honkler here xD]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59508286

I won't be buying supermarket fuel again. Even before this piss take they were often supposedly poorer quality fuels in terms of additives and whatnot that the local Shell/BP/Esso may have offered in normal grade fuel.

Do you not remember, during the "engineered" fuel crisis a few months back, designed to quickly empty UK stores of old fuel stores ready to refill with the new E10 fuel,  they "suspended" anti competition laws, which meant local petrol stations couldn't legally "collude" and talk to each other to rig prices higher. 

I don't think they have removed the suspension yet. Probably to get you stubborn buggers in EV's quicker. 

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
4 hours ago, markyh said:

Do you not remember, during the "engineered" fuel crisis a few months back, designed to quickly empty UK stores of old fuel stores ready to refill with the new E10 fuel,  they "suspended" anti competition laws, which meant local petrol stations couldn't legally "collude" and talk to each other to rig prices higher. 

I don't think they have removed the suspension yet. Probably to get you stubborn buggers in EV's quicker. 

Are we stubborn or just practical?

Once I have bought my EV, and used its 300 mile range, what am I supposed to do with it?

20 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Are we stubborn or just practical?

Once I have bought my EV, and used its 300 mile range, what am I supposed to do with it?

Charge it at home at night for 7.5p kwh , 28kwh a night, over 3 nights for cheap motoring? 

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, markyh said:

Charge it at home at night for 7.5p kwh , 28kwh a night, over 3 nights for cheap motoring? 

Do they object to people running a cable across the road from a 3rd floor flat?

15 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Do they object to people running a cable across the road from a 3rd floor flat?

I do believe you are allowed to have a professional installed cable linked to your flats consumer unit, exit your outside wall, run down the wall to ground level then to an allocated parking spot to your own charge post. You can get a grant for this too. But i dont know anyone in real life who has done it. 

By 2030 there will be 3rd party council / private company kerbside charging solutions for Flats / terraced House owners without allocated parking. Find a space, plug in a cable and swipe a billing card of some sort i should imagine. 

The only places that will struggle long term are villages like where my dad lives that never had street lamps installed and every vote over 50 years to raise village taxes to have them put in was decline by the residents. 

If where you park has street lamp furniture , there is a power supply system to tap into for on street charging, it just needs the hardware installed.  Plenty of private companies are developing kerbside solutions for this. 

For sure my belief is private properties with driveways / off street parking and 2 x 7kw EV charging wall units are going to become as sort after in the "buying " tick box as good schools, good broadband , good local facilities, and increase those house prices.   

Edited by markyh

Wight Flight
7 hours ago, markyh said:

I do believe you are allowed to have a professional installed cable linked to your flats consumer unit, exit your outside wall, run down the wall to ground level then to an allocated parking spot to your own charge post.

Not if you rent you can't.

7 hours ago, markyh said:

If where you park has street lamp furniture , there is a power supply system to tap into for on street charging, it just needs the hardware installed.  Plenty of private companies are developing kerbside solutions for this. 

Street lamps are only every 50 metres or so.

People need to wake up to reality. If you don't own a property with private parking, you won't be owning a car.

• Agree 1