DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Gaming laptop

AlfredTheLittle

Question

AlfredTheLittle

I'm after a laptop for my son for xmas, he's very heavily into minecraft but has only played on his phone so far, so need a gaming laptop for him. Budget under £1k

I'm not certain this is the right forum to ask on, but people always surprise me here! Anyone got any particular knowledge / suggestions? Thanks

11 answers to this question

I used to shop a lot at www.scan.co.uk.

I have couple of the MSI laptops, but I am not a gamer. I wanted good graphic ability, and you also get "reasonable" speakers.

• Informative 1

Believe it or not but the laptop deals on hotukdeals generally offer pretty good advise. Or at least point out the stinkers.

I've bought a couple of machines from their recommendations and been really pleased.  

Only problem is it is a bit random when decent spec pops up and the really good stuff goes really quick

• Informative 1

Some of the "refurbished" business laptops are a reasonable spec, if you get 1080 screens. Also they might come with a docking station (seems to be not popular now) which gives you a lot of extra connections

• Informative 1

AlfredTheLittle

Thanks, I went with Amazon reviews in the end, found one for £700 which looks decent enough (and really it must be at that price!), I probably left it a bit late to look for deals as it's so near Christmas. This is a present way beyond my normal levels of generosity but son has had an incredibly tough year so worth splashing out.

4 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Thanks, I went with Amazon reviews in the end, found one for £700 which looks decent enough (and really it must be at that price!), I probably left it a bit late to look for deals as it's so near Christmas. This is a present way beyond my normal levels of generosity but son has had an incredibly tough year so worth splashing out.

That's really nice of you. I hope it does the job. Tell us the spec.

• Cheers 1

AlfredTheLittle
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

That's really nice of you. I hope it does the job. Tell us the spec.

Thanks, this is the one, the only bits that mean anything to me are the processor and ram, but I'm sure it's good, certainly better than my laptop, which is decent enough.

Deal: ASUS Vivobook with OLED Screen - M513UA 400nits Full HD 15.6" Laptop (AMD Ryzen 7-5700U, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, OLED 400nits HDR DCI-P3 100% Screen, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 Home) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097THBBNJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_75B5CAMNVD7DV61KF950

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Thanks, this is the one, the only bits that mean anything to me are the processor and ram, but I'm sure it's good, certainly better than my laptop, which is decent enough.

Deal: ASUS Vivobook with OLED Screen - M513UA 400nits Full HD 15.6" Laptop (AMD Ryzen 7-5700U, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, OLED 400nits HDR DCI-P3 100% Screen, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 Home) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097THBBNJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_75B5CAMNVD7DV61KF950

That sounds adequate. The backlit ketborad is worth having.

• Agree 1

On 03/12/2021 at 22:17, AlfredTheLittle said:

I'm after a laptop for my son for xmas, he's very heavily into minecraft but has only played on his phone so far, so need a gaming laptop for him. Budget under £1k

I'm not certain this is the right forum to ask on, but people always surprise me here! Anyone got any particular knowledge / suggestions? Thanks

Right forum - but the time to buy has passed.

Amazon warehouse when there is a 20% or 30% discount is the time to buy.

The decent laptops went between 12am and 1am on November 25th,

• Informative 1

Actually not quite true - Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro Gen 6 (16" IPS Touch, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H) Laptop - £809.99 @ Lenovo - hotukdeals is a great deal for the money and seemingly in stock. Compared to the one you are looking at - better screen, better cpu and a dedicated (albeit not great gpu).

However my main point stands - the best time to buy laptops especially is round Black Friday. TVs are black Friday or January to April before next years model arrives.

Edited by eek

AlfredTheLittle
53 minutes ago, eek said:

Actually not quite true - Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro Gen 6 (16" IPS Touch, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H) Laptop - £809.99 @ Lenovo - hotukdeals is a great deal for the money and seemingly in stock. Compared to the one you are looking at - better screen, better cpu and a dedicated (albeit not great gpu).

However my main point stands - the best time to buy laptops especially is round Black Friday. TVs are black Friday or January to April before next years model arrives.

Thanks, I did look at Lenovo and very nearly bought one from them, however I checked their reviews before buying, apparently their customer service is absolutely shit so decided to avoid and went back to Amazon

28 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Thanks, I did look at Lenovo and very nearly bought one from them, however I checked their reviews before buying, apparently their customer service is absolutely shit so decided to avoid and went back to Amazon

Another tip - for Lenovo or Dell always pay for onsite support - it means someone who cares will be dealing with the support if it's needed.

Never go for return to base warranty on a laptop. 

Amazon support is great but you will have to buy a replacement if it goes wrong.

Edited by eek
  • Agree 1