• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

shindigger

Cricket Thread

Recommended Posts

I think this is needed. Been following the denouement of the County Championship today.

Live feed on Youtube and radio comms. Great. No adverts. Awesome.

Lots of intrigue. I'm a Somerset fan and have found the end of the season a real thrill.

They stayed up by one point. There is real competition in domestic cricket, unlike the relentless, joyless, humour free, tedium of the premier league.

Also the whole Stokes business will be in the news for a while.

Not sure the Ashes will go well now, with the ginger swinger smacking the hooly outside that Bristol bar.

Edited by shindigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many cricket fans on here I don't think. You, me and, er, maybe onlyme as he repped your post.......

Don't think the Ashes were going to go well anyway, but without Stokes, difficult to see how it can be anything but a thrashing (looks bad for him, he is bound to get a significant ban at least no matter how deserving the idiots that got punched were, he simply shouldn't be there or getting involved with stuff like that).

If we could ambush them on greentops with Anderson, Broad, a fully fit Woakes, Stokes, Ali and the Duke ball, it would be a good contest which England could win. As it is, especially without Stokes, on hard pitches with the Kookaburra ball their bowling attack looks vastly superior and they've found some new batsmen of late - being beaten by India in India or Bangladesh in Bangladesh is not a sign of weakness IMO.

We'll see, but if Cook and Root don't score big and bat long in almost every match(our lower order will be strong against tired bowlers), don't see how we can win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swissy_fit said:

Not many cricket fans on here I don't think. You, me and, er, maybe onlyme as he repped your post.......

Don't think the Ashes were going to go well anyway, but without Stokes, difficult to see how it can be anything but a thrashing (looks bad for him, he is bound to get a significant ban at least no matter how deserving the idiots that got punched were, he simply shouldn't be there or getting involved with stuff like that).

If we could ambush them on greentops with Anderson, Broad, a fully fit Woakes, Stokes, Ali and the Duke ball, it would be a good contest which England could win. As it is, especially without Stokes, on hard pitches with the Kookaburra ball their bowling attack looks vastly superior and they've found some new batsmen of late - being beaten by India in India or Bangladesh in Bangladesh is not a sign of weakness IMO.

We'll see, but if Cook and Root don't score big and bat long in almost every match(our lower order will be strong against tired bowlers), don't see how we can win.

 

I was a cricket fan when I could watch it.  When my kids were little I would always have it on in the background. Justbpart of the summer for me.  Then it went to sky and I refuse to give them money. Sadly, then I no longer follow it. I did for a while on the radio but drifted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was a cricket fan when I could watch it.  When my kids were little I would always have it on in the background. Justbpart of the summer for me.  Then it went to sky and I refuse to give them money. Sadly, then I no longer follow it. I did for a while on the radio but drifted. 

Get TMS back on. The one bit of the So-Called BBC that still functions as it should. Whoever is on there is normally fun. Charles Dagnall in particular, makes me chuckle. The old trick of telly on, sound down, and radio on still holds true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Not many cricket fans on here I don't think. You, me and, er, maybe onlyme as he repped your post.......

Don't think the Ashes were going to go well anyway, but without Stokes, difficult to see how it can be anything but a thrashing (looks bad for him, he is bound to get a significant ban at least no matter how deserving the idiots that got punched were, he simply shouldn't be there or getting involved with stuff like that).

If we could ambush them on greentops with Anderson, Broad, a fully fit Woakes, Stokes, Ali and the Duke ball, it would be a good contest which England could win. As it is, especially without Stokes, on hard pitches with the Kookaburra ball their bowling attack looks vastly superior and they've found some new batsmen of late - being beaten by India in India or Bangladesh in Bangladesh is not a sign of weakness IMO.

We'll see, but if Cook and Root don't score big and bat long in almost every match(our lower order will be strong against tired bowlers), don't see how we can win.

 

Agree with all that. Looks bad for Stokes though that hool deserved a thump. Don't.know how in hell Ballance finds his way back in the squad. Root should bat 3 Bairstow 4,Stokes 5, if a available, and play Buttler as keeper. God.knows why Leach from Somerset didn't make the tour. Taking Malan Ballance and Vince is wasting a bowling spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was a cricket fan when I could watch it.  When my kids were little I would always have it on in the background. Justbpart of the summer for me.  Then it went to sky and I refuse to give them money. Sadly, then I no longer follow it. I did for a while on the radio but drifted. 

Likewise. Played a LOT of cricket when I was young up to county level and a bit later on when frankly it just took up too much time.

Would not pay Sky for access, ever, for anything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't beat the radio coverage. It's not really the cricket itself, it's just good company whilst you are driving, working, alone or whatever. Quite therapeutic.Radio commentary fires the imagination in a way that watching on TV does not.

It also feels good that the average player doesn't get paid obscene amounts, although I believe the IPL are going that way for the top players. But maybe that's fair enough. You have many average championship footballers on 30k plus a week.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Get TMS back on. The one bit of the So-Called BBC that still functions as it should. Whoever is on there is normally fun. Charles Dagnall in particular, makes me chuckle. The old trick of telly on, sound down, and radio on still holds true. 

What is live test match back on telly?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Get TMS back on. The one bit of the So-Called BBC that still functions as it should. Whoever is on there is normally fun. Charles Dagnall in particular, makes me chuckle. The old trick of telly on, sound down, and radio on still holds true. 

To be fair BBC sport (radio) is generally very good, so long as you ignore the crap (over promotion of certain women's sport; documentaries about gay sportsmen etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just say, as a very casual cricket watcher, that I really don't understand the pessimism around the upcoming Ashes series. For me, England are as good as I can remember them being - if a little inconsistent - but certainly capable of good things. Whereas Australia are just a shadow of their former selves. That's my "outsider" reading of it anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Agree with all that. Looks bad for Stokes though that hool deserved a thump. Don't.know how in hell Ballance finds his way back in the squad. Root should bat 3 Bairstow 4,Stokes 5, if a available, and play Buttler as keeper. God.knows why Leach from Somerset didn't make the tour. Taking Malan Ballance and Vince is wasting a bowling spot. 

I wouldn't pick Butler in Tests, talent is one thing but he hasn't developed it in redball cricket, and certainly not as keeper ahead of YJB who has earned that spot. If the IPL and the like didn't exist I reckon he'd be the Test keeper/batsman, just one of those things.

I'd have picked a third opener to bat at 3, not sure who tbh but with no requirement to score quickly - with Stokes available the main function of numbers 1,2,3 is to tire the bowlers and soften the ball for an intimidating middle and lower order which for me would be 4(Root), 5(Hales),6(Stokes),7(Bairstow), 8(Ali),9(Woakes),10(Broad or other depending on fitness/form), 11(Anderson).

I also suspect Cook's reflexes may have gone, didn't like the look of some of his recent dismissals or dropped slip catches - this tour will prove it one way or another as when he was at his best, Aus pitches suited him well, he can be let off for the Mitchell Johnson tour IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listening to Aggers, Tuffers, Geoffrey, Vaughn, Swanny and whoever is representing the other side, is great stuff (although I do miss the time when TMS was on red button and gave you a scorecard). 

Did have the misfortune to catch a lunchtime chat with May a few weeks back before she rushed off for a cobra meeting. 

As a Yorkshire supporter, I'm a bit gutted about yesterday's result but half the team are always missing so I'm just impressed when they take the title. 

Sangakarra has been awesome this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, eight said:

Can I just say, as a very casual cricket watcher, that I really don't understand the pessimism around the upcoming Ashes series. For me, England are as good as I can remember them being - if a little inconsistent - but certainly capable of good things. Whereas Australia are just a shadow of their former selves. That's my "outsider" reading of it anyway. 

Very conditions dependent game now. Most England wins revolve around the faster bowlers swinging the Duke ball, used only in England and the WI, or Ali turning it - in Oz pace counts more (Aussie bowlers are much faster), it won't swing much and if it does turn Lyon is a vastly better spin bowler than Ali.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

What is live test match back on telly?  

Im not sure but think it will be next season, don't think there's an Ashes match on free to air. Was slightly alarmed to discover that the Ashes is on BT Sport having just signed up to the devil. Luckily I have a magic box which still gets BT Sport albeit in low Def. Seriously give TMS another try. It's excellent. Especially home series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Likewise. Played a LOT of cricket when I was young up to county level and a bit later on when frankly it just took up too much time.

Would not pay Sky for access, ever, for anything.

 

Exactly the same. Would take a week off work and lug the telly into the garden to watch a test. Went to sky. Lost all interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the fact that if I want to watch cricket on Sky I have to pay the stupid Football price of £20 quid in addition to the stupid basic package £20. Just supply me with Cricket please Sky. I am happy to pay the Cricket price of £5 a month. I don't wish to pay for the Football pour encourager les autres. 

Wankers. I hope Murdoch and all the directors of Sky are captured by terrorists and tortured to death, no, almost to death and kept alive in great agony for many years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billfunk said:

I hate the fact that if I want to watch cricket on Sky I have to pay the stupid Football price of £20 quid in addition to the stupid basic package £20. Just supply me with Cricket please Sky. I am happy to pay the Cricket price of £5 a month. I don't wish to pay for the Football pour encourager les autres. 

Wankers. I hope Murdoch and all the directors of Sky are captured by terrorists and tortured to death, no, almost to death and kept alive in great agony for many years. 

Yeah that's true it would be easy in this digital age to have separate cricket channels with an appropriate price, I wouldn't want to pay for football either. My guess is that in India where the market is bigger, that might happen as another broadcaster could offer this and bid for cricket contracts, targeting cricket lovers who want only cricket. In the UK/Europe there aren't enough of us.

Edit :- your proposed punishment is a little extreme! 

Edited by swissy_fit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Im not sure but think it will be next season, don't think there's an Ashes match on free to air. Was slightly alarmed to discover that the Ashes is on BT Sport having just signed up to the devil. Luckily I have a magic box which still gets BT Sport albeit in low Def. Seriously give TMS another try. It's excellent. Especially home series. 

Ah that good we have poor man's sky, aka bt sports. 

Is tms on longwave only these days? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, billfunk said:

I hate the fact that if I want to watch cricket on Sky I have to pay the stupid Football price of £20 quid in addition to the stupid basic package £20. Just supply me with Cricket please Sky. I am happy to pay the Cricket price of £5 a month. I don't wish to pay for the Football pour encourager les autres. 

Wankers. I hope Murdoch and all the directors of Sky are captured by terrorists and tortured to death, no, almost to death and kept alive in great agony for many years. 

Very true. Sky recently changed their packages so you can subscribe to a single channel only (or a couple). However the pricing is ridiculous and doesn't take into account the price they have paid for the rights. So you could subscribe to the premier league channel for about £18 a month. Or the cricket channel for the same price!! 

You would think it would be in their interests to know what each sports package is genuinely worth, in terms of subscribers and advertising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.