DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Thread for the guitarists

NTB

18 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Watching Inside America's Treasure House on BBC.

New York Met guitar collection.

Steve Miller mentioned Les Paul was his Godfather.

Did not know that.

https://archive.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/53191072.html/

I didn't know that either. Les Paul played with everyone, and rather better than I could, had a guitar named after him.

Gibson stopped making them after 1961, in favour of the SG, but when Pete Townsend kept using one they reintroduced it.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
7 hours ago, MrPin said:

Gibson stopped making them after 1961, in favour of the SG, but when Pete Townsend kept using one they reintroduced it.

Restarted production in 1969 I believe. The 1950s Les Paul's are a work of art, a beautiful piece of handmade craftsmanship. The problem was returns, neck breaks being the big one, almost bankrupted them, SGs were nice and cheap, Les Paul sued them for using his name on them, so they called it the standard guitar instead.

Fender had less problems because of the design. Got a broken guitar? Then just send out a new neck, problem sorted.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Restarted production in 1969 I believe. The 1950s Les Paul's are a work of art, a beautiful piece of handmade craftsmanship. The problem was returns, neck breaks being the big one, almost bankrupted them, SGs were nice and cheap, Les Paul sued them for using his name on them, so they called it the standard guitar instead.

Fender had less problems because of the design. Got a broken guitar? Then just send out a new neck, problem sorted.

I'm not sure of the exact dates. My "fake/tribute model" LP has a screw on neck like a Fender.

I've never had a Gibson.

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm not sure of the exact dates. My "fake/tribute model" LP has a screw on neck like a Fender.

I've never had a Gibson.

I love Gibson, they are a bit like a fancy well-made antique coffee table with strings on.

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I love Gibson, they are a bit like a fancy well-made antique coffee table with strings on.

I keep meaning to treat myself to one. Anecdotally , years ago, a mate of mine got a goldtop LP with a broken headstock, for a tenner (was years ago). After some expertly applied araldite, it worked fine

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I keep meaning to treat myself to one. Anecdotally , years ago, a mate of mine got a goldtop LP with a broken headstock, for a tenner (was years ago). After some expertly applied araldite, it worked fine

Bargain, some people reckon the repaired ones sometimes turnout just as good, if not better.