DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Question on changing external light

spunko

Question

I have an electrician coming at some point before Christmas but I want to try some urgent work myself before then. I have an external PIR security light that doesn't work. The bulb might have fried, it's one of those non-replaceable ones. I want to replace the entire unit with one of these:

https://en-uk.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam-wired-pro

Anyone know if this is possible for the amateur? Or should I just wait a few weeks?

I've not had a look at the actual gubbins behind it but the faulty PIR unit was only installed ~3 years ago.

12 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have an electrician coming at some point before Christmas but I want to try some urgent work myself before then. I have an external PIR security light that doesn't work. The bulb might have fried, it's one of those non-replaceable ones. I want to replace the entire unit with one of these:

Anyone know if this is possible for the amateur? Or should I just wait a few weeks?

I've not had a look at the actual gubbins behind it but the faulty PIR unit was only installed ~3 years ago.

Easy job. But for fucks sake make sure you isolate the correct circuit in your consumer unit, and test for dead at the point of work. 

If you are not confident to do that correctly, leave it to the pros. 

Even If the current light has failed, the supply to it may still be live. 

2 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Easy job. But for fucks sake make sure you isolate the correct circuit in your consumer unit, and test for dead at the point of work. 

If you are not confident to do that correctly, leave it to the pros. 

Even If the current light has failed, the supply to it may still be live. 

I know how to isolate etc and I have a current tester.. my electrical experience is changing light fittings and sockets but these are internal, are external much different?

Just now, spunko said:

I know how to isolate etc and I have a current tester.. my electrical experience is changing light fittings and sockets but these are internal, are external much different?

Nope, just up high and more watertight (which isn't the issue here as the hardwork was done when the PIR was installed.

• Agree 1

Just now, eek said:

Nope, just up high and more watertight (which isn't the issue here as the hardwork was done when the PIR was installed.

OK, I'll give it a go then. Cheers

45 minutes ago, spunko said:

Just fitted a fairly similar and it's not that difficult. Setting up was more of a pain than fitting.

First things first, can you isolate and prove dead the feed to the old light?

If you don't have the means to do this then you are leaving yourself open to a nasty belt if there is a pre-existing fault or other issue especially with the Neutral.

How is the old light fed?

If its off a switch then this is unlikely to be double pole (switches both live and neutral) and will not fully isolate.

If you're confident that you consumer unit main switch isolates this circuit then this is the safest way to isolate if you don't have the proper means, still not ideal.

Where is the light located?

These things can require three hands, one to hold the light, one to locate the wire and one to screw the terminal. If its at a great height, and you're not comfortable on ladders then it may be too much for you.

The one I did was about 30' up and once installed, and ladders back on the van, I started the set up procedure only to realise there's a pairing button on the camera that needs pressing, much 🤬 🤬 🤬 followed.

RTFM first and see if you still feel daunted.

1 hour ago, GBDamo said:

Just fitted a fairly similar and it's not that difficult. Setting up was more of a pain than fitting.

First things first, can you isolate and prove dead the feed to the old light?

If you don't have the means to do this then you are leaving yourself open to a nasty belt if there is a pre-existing fault or other issue especially with the Neutral.

How is the old light fed?

If its off a switch then this is unlikely to be double pole (switches both live and neutral) and will not fully isolate.

If you're confident that you consumer unit main switch isolates this circuit then this is the safest way to isolate if you don't have the proper means, still not ideal.

Where is the light located?

These things can require three hands, one to hold the light, one to locate the wire and one to screw the terminal. If its at a great height, and you're not comfortable on ladders then it may be too much for you.

The one I did was about 30' up and once installed, and ladders back on the van, I started the set up procedure only to realise there's a pairing button on the camera that needs pressing, much 🤬 🤬 🤬 followed.

RTFM first and see if you still feel daunted.

I don't know the technical lingo but the old light fitting has an interior lightswitch (single gang, only for that). I'd switch that off at the lightswitch, find which circuit it's on in the RCD and turn that off, and also test it with my current tester thing. Would that be enough?

By the way when I say the old unit is broken, it does sometimes work. For example I just tested it now by switching the light switch on and it came on - but it never goes off. It should be on a timer. Sometimes it does go off and then doesn't come back on again, even with movement.

Edited by spunko

Indoor lighting circuits confuse the **** out of me.  But outdoor ones are (usually) just like wiring a plug.

If in doubt just throw the master switch in the consumer unit..  that’s what I usually do if I’m working on household electrics.  

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Libspero said:

Indoor lighting circuits confuse the **** out of me.  But outdoor ones are (usually) just like wiring a plug.

If in doubt just throw the master switch in the consumer unit..  that’s what I usually do if I’m working on household electrics.  

Safest option.
When I moved into this house the CU had a wee diagram with which fuse related to which circuit. They nearly got the 5A circuits right.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

ring is owned by amazon so they spy on you...O.o

Ring, which is owned by Amazon and based in Santa Monica, Calif., has generated its share of headlines, including how the company fired four employees over the last four years for watching customers’ videos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/technology/personaltech/ring-doorbell-camera-spying.html

Bobthebuilder
7 hours ago, nirvana said:

ring is owned by amazon so they spy on you...O.o

Ring, which is owned by Amazon and based in Santa Monica, Calif., has generated its share of headlines, including how the company fired four employees over the last four years for watching customers’ videos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/technology/personaltech/ring-doorbell-camera-spying.html

The misses and I quite often put our mobile phones between us and start talking some random shit like, "mushroom omelette", then go and check YouTube. Hey presto, as if by magic, instructional video.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

The misses and I quite often put our mobile phones between us and start talking some random shit like, "mushroom omelette", then go and check YouTube. Hey presto, as if by magic, instructional video.

aye all the corporate cunts are at it........one of my mobiles is running lineageos, whatsapp on there doesn't work anymore, it ran out on dec 6th lol

I came across this https://brainbaking.com/post/2021/03/getting-rid-of-tracking-using-lineageos/

is it too early for some chemical brothers? :Jumping:

Edited by nirvana
  • Cheers 1