• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

spiders

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

Still doesn't explain why they want to come into my house.

Top tip, when autumn comes along, never turn your central heating on before your neighbours do (yw)

Also, if you dream of spiders, it usually because one of buggers has scampered over your face as you are sleeping (although I have absolutely no evidence for this I believe it to be true)

Edited by Mihnjeeta

22 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

just put a rather large spider out. we shook hands and parted on good terms. 

Hooge it was!

It will probably die outside.  There is a reason why they are call the giant house spider.   They do get feckin massive. :o

8 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Do spiders have sex?

Serious question.

It's the time of year for the males go a hunting for a bit of action.

Edited by montecristo

My shed has had a window pane missing since spring. A spider has filled the aperture with web, and done very well for himself. He's now a mighty impressive beast. I was thinking about taking a photo of him with a coin in the frame for scale the other day, but was busy and didn't bother. Wish I had now.

I've have loads in my kitchen but also loads of wood louses - is louses is a word? Wood lice? That does not sound nice.

Anyhow, I learnt only recently that I have loads of spiders because I am nice and kind to their main food supply - wood lice.

I think I will start putting them outside - the wood lice - as loads live outside happily anyhow.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I've have loads in my kitchen but also loads of wood louses - is louses is a word? Wood lice? That does not sound nice.

Anyhow, I learnt only recently that I have loads of spiders because I am nice and kind to their main food supply - wood lice.

I think I will start putting them outside - the wood lice - as loads live outside happily anyhow.

If wood lice are inside, they are eating the wooden bits of your house.

I found a Steatoda Noblis on the net curtain behind my head in the lounge, i trapped it in a plastic bottle and it went mental inside, i was admiring its skull like marking on its abdomen, so i looked it up......yep Steatoda Nobils aka False Widow.

Incredibly common, most houses in the south will have them. 

I let it go out in the garden, found a dead cat out there next morning. 

(^ this bit is untrue, The False Widow is unable to penetrate cat skin with its fangs as its too tough, but.......surprisingly it can easily penetrate dogskin! & human)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatoda_nobilis

Edited by WorkingPoor
Added link to incredibly dangerous spider living in peoples home in southern UK

11 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

I found a Steatoda Noblis on the net curtain behind my head in the lounge, i trapped it in a plastic bottle and it went mental inside, i was admiring its skull like marking on its abdomen, so i looked it up......yep Steatoda Nobils aka False Widow.

Incredibly common, most houses in the south will have them. 

I let it go out in the garden, found a dead cat out there next morning. 

(^ this bit is untrue, The False Widow is unable to penetrate cat skin with its fangs as its too tough, but.......surprisingly it can easily penetrate dogskin! & human)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatoda_nobilis

I have killed a few of these in my conservatory this year.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I have killed a few of these in my conservatory this year.

Aggressive it was, you can tell them from their legs they have a sort of neddlelike taper to them, very rapid & angry when trapped! 

Edited by WorkingPoor

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Not a spider but I had a devil's coach horse in my house the other day - reared up like a scorpion when i went to slap it! Horrid things. 

I saw one of them once, shat myself thinking it was a scorpion. On of the scariest beasties we have in Britain I reckon. 

I caught two spiders and a daddy long legs this morning, been catching lots of spiders recently. I've trained my children to hunt for them and scream then shout spider when they find one.

One of the ones this morning was big, with visible hairs on its legs.

Found a wood louse this morning too, I hope it hadn't been eating my house! 

Found a baby snail yesterday too, smaller than a small pea, dead cute.

For people who aren't keen on spiders/beasties generally :

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20455/Spider-Catcher-Vacuum-Insect-Catcher

lakeland-plastics-spider-catcher-.jpg

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding woodlouse onwards