DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Monitoring my internet connection

Funn3r

Question

My ISP gives me traffic stats showing what my traffic use looks like from their end. All I see are bytes up and bytes down. 

Between 00:00 - 02:00 every day, not always at exactly the same time,  I see a burst of heavy traffic and I really want to know what it is.  I've got a lot of internet-connected stuff; could try selectively turning things off one at a time but would still rather see exactly what is talking to what address.

Was thinking of Pi-Hole but seems like a lot of being arsed. Anyone got simpler way?

2 answers to this question

tried pi-hole but I prefer adguard.....just use docker, it's pretty easy to pull an image and create a container....I'm running one on a hacked android tv box running armbian

if you've got a lot of stuff connected you'd be surprised the amount of crap that goes out ie I've got a Samsung Tizen TV and it used to chatter away til I blocked a load o stuff....

your DNS setup is key.....I still don't know who to trust dns wise, I used to think quad9 were ok but apparently they talk to the pigs and other cnuts lol

edit: I'm running latest adguard beta...with their dns servers - i trust the ruskies more than the swiss nowadays :S

docker pull adguard/adguardhome:beta
docker run --name adguardhome    --restart unless-stopped    -v /my/own/workdir:/opt/adguardhome/work    -v /my/own/confdir:/opt/adguardhome/conf    -p 53:53/tcp -p 53:53/udp    -p 67:67/udp -p 68:68/udp    -p 80:80/tcp -p 443:443/tcp -p 443:443/udp -p 3000:3000/tcp    -p 853:853/tcp    -p 784:784/udp -p 853:853/udp -p 8853:8853/udp    -p 5443:5443/tcp -p 5443:5443/udp    -d adguard/adguardhome:beta

Edited by nirvana
  • Informative 2