• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

People/ Organisations you've emailed

Just now, eight said:

Christopher_Robin_Milne.jpg

Here he is with Pooh bear. I believe he's about to become a film.

Yes, I heard. The letter is still sitting in a fireproof safe at my mum's house along with other family documents, I'm starting to think it may be quite valuable one day.

7 hours ago, davidg said:

French TV News Channel TF1 to correct something (I forgot what) on their news broadcast. They corrected it at the end of the programme.

Great story davidg :)

34 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I wrote to A. A. Milne's son (Christopher Robin) when I was about 10 and got a very nice reply. I just get cease and desist letters these days.

Did you play poo sticks with real poo?:o

I emailed MSF yesterday with this message....

"Hi, 

I wish to register my disappointment with your charity over the ship "Aquarius".

You sail to Libyan waters to pick up economic migrants then ferry them to Europe. That activity is not why I have previously donated to MSF. I bitterly regret donating to you and will never donate to you again.

You seem to be on a crusade to get Europe to vote for extremist right wing parties. For a charity that has previously done so much for the world I find your actions perplexing.

I enclose a link to a recent Guardian article on the Aquarius. Perhaps you should read the comments below the article to see how out of touch you are?

Regards

Great Guy"

I got this response...

"Thank you Great Guy for your email and for your support.

As MSF, we are committed to providing life-saving aid wherever it is required for people who need it the most.  It is precisely this humanitarian imperative that drives our search and rescue operation, providing medical assistance to those currently flowing across Europe.

There are very few safe channels that people can take to reach protection and safety as they flee conflict. This lack of alternatives has forced them into the hands of smugglers and into leaky, overcrowded boats on the Mediterranean and Aegean seas. We have heard the concerns that rescue boats act as a 'pull factor' or encourage people to make the crossing, but do not agree that this is the case.

People were making this crossing before MSF started their search and rescue mission and sadly they will continue to risk their lives in the hands of smugglers as long as there are no safe alternatives. We could not stand back and allow them to drown. 

Many of those making the crossing are vulnerable, having gone through much suffering before making their journey. MSF's search and rescue boats provide necessary medical assistance to a number of people including children and even babies from precarious vessels on the Mediterranean. The medical care available ranges from primary care right through to resuscitation and advanced life support. 

The link below will provide much more detailed information in relation to this area of our work.

https://www.msf.org.uk/country/mediterranean-search-and-rescue

We are very grateful for your committed support and understand if you feel that you are no longer able to continue with your donation. If you can provide us with your postal address I will update our records to ensure that we make no further contact with you.

This is an issue that can divide opinion and we have heard from other supporters who have a similar view to you;  we also hear from those who are  very supportive of this area of our work.

I hope that I have at least been able to explain MSF’s role in our Search and Rescue mission in the Mediterranean, however if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. 

Kind regards"

Just now, ashestoashes said:

so they're all fleeing conflict, that's ok then, how do I donate ?

Yeah... And MSF acting as a ferry service doesn't act as a "pull factor"....

They're either liars or absolutedly delusional.

A slight tangent, but my brother and I as young kids used to send off for army, navy, air force, etc recruitment brochures from those cut outs in the newspapers.  All went very well as a supplement to our Saturday morning comics until one day I get an appointment card from the Royal Marines to attend their local recruitment office at a certain time!  Shat myself I did!  A bit more careful who I write to now!

1 hour ago, No Duff said:

A slight tangent, but my brother and I as young kids used to send off for army, navy, air force, etc recruitment brochures from those cut outs in the newspapers.  All went very well as a supplement to our Saturday morning comics until one day I get an appointment card from the Royal Marines to attend their local recruitment office at a certain time!  Shat myself I did!  A bit more careful who I write to now!

Wouldn't happen now. It is run by Capita. 

You would die of old age before you get a reply.

Posted (edited)

My company was having a big celebratory dinner and without expecting any reply, on the off chance I wrote a letter inviting a member of the royal family to it (won't say which one). 

A week or so later I got a phone call from somebody called something like Major-General Bill Ffoulkes-Fortescue, personal private secretary to HRH xxxx.

We had quite a friendly chat and he thanked me for my letter and said HRH would be pleased to attend!

I got quite a lot of ribbing after that and was called the Royal Correspondent and had to wheel the person round the event and speak to the Royal Protection Squad etc.

Edited by Austin Allegro

Posted (edited)

I once mailed (pre-email) Tetleys complaining of off-tasting tea enclosing a sample tea bag and they replied thusly,

Thanks for your letter and enclosed tea-bag which we have subjected to laboratory analysis following which it became apparent,

a/ from measurement of perforation spacing, that this is not in fact a Tetley's tea-bag and

b/ that this tea bag has been stored in close contact with coffee.

Nonetheless, find enclosed a £5 voucher for Tetley's tea-bags redeemable at all major supermarkets.

Thanks again for contacting Tetleys and your continued custom.

(I kept the letter and voucher for posterity)

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again