DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

ZOPA closing P2P arm(turning into a bank)

Kurt Barlow

6 hours ago, nirvana said:

how the fek can joe public compete in a p2p environment when CB and govment assiholes just hand it out for free? :P

The early days were good with gradual diminishing returns

From 2009 to 2021 I made £70K in interest off the big 3. Also had a small amount (5K) in Lendy which went tits up. May still get some of that back. Small payments periodically come in in dribs and drabs. 

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

rom 2009 to 2021 I made £70K in interest off the big 3

Depending on the size of your deposit, that's a meaningless stat. Care to add some figures to flesh that out a bit?

31 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Depending on the size of your deposit, that's a meaningless stat. Care to add some figures to flesh that out a bit?

At absolute peaks for each (at different time)   I had about 100K in ratesetter, 120K in funding circle and 50K in ZOPA 

My lifetime net return on Funding circle 2011-21 is 5.9% PA 

Ratesetter was about 5.5%

ZOPA was about 4.75%

Edited by Kurt Barlow
  • Informative 3

Bobthebuilder
12 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

At absolute peaks for each (at different time)   I had about 100K in ratesetter, 120K in funding circle and 50K in ZOPA 

My lifetime net return on Funding circle 2011-21 is 5.9% PA 

Ratesetter was about 5.5%

ZOPA was about 4.75%

Wow, that's much better than I have ever done in cash.

Impressive.

I did have a cash isa back in the day at 6.4%, Halifax I recall.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Impressive.

The days when you could actually get a return in-excess of inflation!

I got to open a Cambridge building society reward savers account in october - I can put in £250 a month for 12 months at 5%. Otherwise on cash Im restricted to a 1% ish return on Premium bonds or getting butt fucked by Barclays / Nationwide   etc at about 0.3%

• Agree 1

reformed nice guy

I got similar to Kurt.

Funding circle: May 2012 to 2018, 6.5% annualised returns (after bad debts, fees etc). Still got some that are tiny or recoveries.

Zopa: 3.76%, although it looks like that is only calculated back to May 2018 although my first deposit was 2012. It was about 6% too if I remember right.

image.thumb.png.abf2d93b68b0c2c6fd3fa768a83b4763.pngZopa has a "returns" graph and you can see where it flattens out

• Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Impressive.

No point holding cash anymore

Opting for fwd purchases to hedge against inflation. (see Lidl thread)

Might buy a spare Glow Worm Boiler:P

On a serious note 2021 Dec 20-Dec21) saw a 35% reduction in gas consumption and 27% on electric compared to 2020 which was pretty good considering 2021 winter was colder and have been mostly working from home. 

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

On a serious note 2021 Dec 20-Dec21) saw a 35% reduction in gas consumption and 27% on electric compared to 2020 which was pretty good considering 2021 winter was colder and have been mostly working from home. 

I have been telling all my customers to turn the main burner heat down to 50 to ease gas bills. You can reduce your bills if you're not lazy.

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have been telling all my customers to turn the main burner heat down to 50 to ease gas bills. You can reduce your bills if you're not lazy.

Would that not mean the hot water cylinder won't go above 50 deg C. Potential Legionella Risk?

One of my autumn tasks was to reduce the circulating temperature from 65 to 62. Apparently condensing boilers are pretty much in condensing mode all the time at that temp or lower. 

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Would that not mean the hot water cylinder won't go above 50 deg C. Potential Legionella Risk?

One of my autumn tasks was to reduce the circulating temperature from 65 to 62. Apparently condensing boilers are pretty much in condensing mode all the time at that temp or lower. 

No, because the cylinder stat would be asking for heat until it hits 65. It's all about  the wiring.

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

No, because the cylinder stat would be asking for heat until it hits 65. It's all about  the wiring.

If the circulating water (which I assume is what we are talking about)  is limited to 50 deg C then the cylinder won't get any hotter. The water from the boiler will continue to circulate through without adding any additional heat once the cylinder has reached 50 deg C. 

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

If the circulating water (which I assume is what we are talking about)  is limited to 50 deg C then the cylinder won't get any hotter. The water from the boiler will continue to circulate through without adding any additional heat once the cylinder has reached 50 deg C. 

Been lovely to speak to you, Mr Kurt. Going to hide away now to stay away from the plumbing police.

There are several ways to heat multi zones with several thermostats, piece of piss really.

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Been lovely to speak to you, Mr Kurt. Going to hide away now to stay away from the plumbing police.

There are several ways to heat multi zones with several thermostats, piece of piss really.

I appreciate there maybe ways of running / programming boilers with differential temperatures depending on whether you are heating hot water or central heating but a circulating temperature of 50 degrees will not heat water in a tank above 50 degrees C directly. That would defy the laws of physics. 

Check your liability insurance is up to date;)

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Potential Legionella Risk?

that crap is very rare, it needs nutrients as well as the right temp.....

I tried to find the stats for frogland.......the cases in 2020 were much lower than 2019 which were much lower than 2018

reminds me of that bug that was gonna kill you when you went for a walk in the long grass lol

I caught ringworm from pissing about in the garden and the pharmacy wouldn't even give me any cream 'ooh you need a Dr'......fuk off you control freaks.....some horse cream cured it xD

1 hour ago, nirvana said:

that crap is very rare, it needs nutrients as well as the right temp.....

I tried to find the stats for frogland.......the cases in 2020 were much lower than 2019 which were much lower than 2018

reminds me of that bug that was gonna kill you when you went for a walk in the long grass lol

I caught ringworm from pissing about in the garden and the pharmacy wouldn't even give me any cream 'ooh you need a Dr'......fuk off you control freaks.....some horse cream cured it xD

20-50 deg and  Iron, cysteine, Magnesium...

Still with a fatality rate of 15-30% and survivors never quite being the same afterwards its best avoided.

• Informative 1