DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Salary : Commission Ratio for Business Development & Lead Finding?

Fully Detached

Question

Fully Detached

Can anyone with knowledge in this area give me an idea of the sort of salary and commission split I should be looking to pay for a technical (IT) based business development and lead finding person? This is going to be someone who will build up relationships over the course of several months, so they're going to need income while they build some momentum, and it's also going to need to be someone who either already knows or can quickly come up to speed with a technical subject.

Anyone got some approx suggestions? I don't need anything too exact, just an indication of the sort of expectations a suitable candidate will have.

5 answers to this question

If you want someone good with a proven track record,  then you will probably need to poach them from a competitor..  so what are they paying?

I’m not in that sector, but in ours it would be something like:

Low end: £30k base with £10k incentive plan.

Mid: £40-£45k +£15k incentive plan

Top: £50-£60k + high or uncapped incentive plan.

I’d speak to a head hunter and ask them.  The advantage of poaching from a competitor is they already know who all your potential customers are.

• Agree 1

Fully Detached
2 hours ago, Libspero said:

If you want someone good with a proven track record,  then you will probably need to poach them from a competitor..  so what are they paying?

I’m not in that sector, but in ours it would be something like:

Low end: £30k base with £10k incentive plan.

Mid: £40-£45k +£15k incentive plan

Top: £50-£60k + high or uncapped incentive plan.

I’d speak to a head hunter and ask them.  The advantage of poaching from a competitor is they already know who all your potential customers are.

That's really helpful, thanks - the digging around I did online suggests to me that your mid range is about what we are looking at although I think we would either not cap or increase the incentives.

We're already speaking to head hunters but wanted to get an indication of what we should be looking to pay so that they then seek out profiles of people whose expectations match ours. It's an area I know nothing about - whenever I think of salespeople I always remember the "old Gil" character from the Simpsons, who would start out all confident and flashy and quickly collapse into begging for the order so he could put some food on the table :)

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
On 14/12/2021 at 13:54, Fully Detached said:

Anyone got some approx suggestions? I don't need anything too exact, just an indication of the sort of expectations a suitable candidate will have.

I'm same sector but different job, sales engineering 70/30 split base pay / commission. Approx 12-15k a year in shares on top. 

• Informative 1

Fully Detached
9 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

I'm same sector but different job, sales engineering 70/30 split base pay / commission. Approx 12-15k a year in shares on top. 

Excellent, thanks - we haven't yet done anything to move forward but that'll give our recruiter a couple of ideas what sort of profile person they're looking for.