DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cutting glass - easy or hard?

spunko

Question

Was going to get a glazier but they're all busy. Then considered buying it cut to size online but it's a rip off.

Is cutting your own sheet of glass that hard? I need to use ideally 6.4mm laminated annealed glass. Need to do 6 or 7 panes.

Anyone done it? I'm semi competent at DIY but if it's the sort of thing that a professional should do, I don't mind getting them in.

7 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, spunko said:

Was going to get a glazier but they're all busy. Then considered buying it cut to size online but it's a rip off.

Is cutting your own sheet of glass that hard? I need to use ideally 6.4mm laminated annealed glass. Need to do 6 or 7 panes.

Anyone done it? I'm semi competent at DIY but if it's the sort of thing that a professional should do, I don't mind getting them in.

Laminated is very hard to do, toughened can't be cut after the toughening process.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Laminated is very hard to do, toughened can't be cut after the toughening process.

The reason laminated is difficult is because without the right equipment cutting through two pieces of glass and a plastic film without it separating is hard.

• Agree 1

Bricks & Mortar

Whenever i need glass, I buy from one of the local-ish glaziers, get them to cut to size, drive my car 25 miles to collect it.  Usually put in on back seat, upright, with seatbelt on.

Andersen

I had a quick lesson from a local glazier when I asked him to cut a new window for me*, cutting glass before it's heat treated is simple. If laminated or heat treated it's not DIY'able ( agree with @Option5 )

* The reason I needed a new window? A sort-of-Ex decided I'd appreciate a visit after the nightclub she was at closed. When I didn't open the door she decided to let herself in using a half brick and surprise me. I learned all this from the police who took her away and rang me the next day (I was visiting my folks 100 miles away). That was a fun experience 9_9

• Cheers 1

In the end I bought 8 panes from GoGlass. Can't fault them, very quick delivery too.

I managed to measure one incorrectly so decided to put it to the test as there was no other use for it. Took several hard blows with a hammer before it smashed into a million pieces, but still held together. Tried whacking it a few times more but it didn't budge. Inside a window frame I reckon it'd take 15-20 really hard whacks before it even starts to give way.

Quite unpleasant for a burglar because those tiny shards go everywhere. I still have some lodged in my hands.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2