DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

To qualify for low cost social housing in San Francisco...

The Masked Tulip

To be able to buy affordable housing in the form of shared ownership household income has to be below £60k, I think £80k in London.

I don't think that any reasonable person would regard a household with £59k of annual income as being in need of grant-funded social housing.

In a lot of areas that would make you one of the wealthiest people around given that average salary is about £24k.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Just shows how fecked up the San Franciso housing market is.

I would just move away if I was in the US; why be ripped off?

There are similar hotspots in Cornwall: Rock / Polzeath and St Ives.  There are plenty of much nicer places to live and without the vast tourist influx but certain places somehow develop a gravity-defying momentum of their own.   I can see a lottery winner paying two million for an average house in Rock and then wondering why they bothered moving there.

There was the £1.6m council house sold in St Ives recently.  Now it's right by the beach but if you look at street view it is right on the road with no garden to speak of, a carpark on one side and a busy promenade with benches the other.  The council have said they will refuse planning permission for anything other than a similar house so that looks like a stupid price to have paid.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.2146282,-5.4841917,3a,60y,340.95h,86.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJxke94nFLWa-LwFocVzxqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Compare with this one that Graham Norton is selling in Bexhill asking price £2.3m.  Not my cup of tea but designer type place, private and by the beach, and with its own pool and commutable to London.

44E09BBF00000578-0-image-a-33_1506768312

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4935998/Graham-Norton-s-six-bedroom-house-sale-2-3million.html

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

There was the £1.6m council house sold in St Ives recently.  Now it's right by the beach but if you look at street view it is right on the road with no garden to speak of, a carpark on one side and a busy promenade with benches the other.  The council have said they will refuse planning permission for anything other than a similar house so that looks like a stupid price to have paid.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.2146282,-5.4841917,3a,60y,340.95h,86.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJxke94nFLWa-LwFocVzxqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Good grief! £1.6m is lot to pay for a sea view. :S

1 minute ago, UmBongo said:

Good grief! £1.6m is lot to pay for a sea view. :S

Car doors banging all night, drunks walking past your front door.  I assume the aim is do it as a holiday let but then that's another ?£200k to demolish and rebuild it so to get even a 4% return you'd need £72k net income or averaging £1,500 a week lets year round.  I know it can command two or three k in the summer but in the winter?

Wight Flight
On 01/10/2017 at 09:13, Frank Hovis said:

To be able to buy affordable housing in the form of shared ownership household income has to be below £60k, I think £80k in London.

I don't think that any reasonable person would regard a household with £59k of annual income as being in need of grant-funded social housing.

In a lot of areas that would make you one of the wealthiest people around given that average salary is about £24k.

I would disagree. Family with two kids, £59k gross in the South East is almost the worst place to be. Unless you own a house.

On 10/1/2017 at 12:01, Frank Hovis said:

Car doors banging all night, drunks walking past your front door.  I assume the aim is do it as a holiday let but then that's another ?£200k to demolish and rebuild it so to get even a 4% return you'd need £72k net income or averaging £1,500 a week lets year round.  I know it can command two or three k in the summer but in the winter?

Cornwall towns are full of drunks on park benches.

Have you been to Newquay recently ?   What a shit hole xD

12 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, stop coming tourists it's really terrible down here.  Everybody go to Kent for their staycations next year please!

I think I've only ventured into Cornwall twice. By mistake.

• 2 months later...
On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:03, The XYY Man said:

Have to laugh at the crappy "special" effects in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds".

Why didn't the daft bastard just film it in Looe - the home of the seagull Luftwaffe...?

Last time me and Mrs XYY were there it was like Tora! Tora! fucking Tora...!!!

XYY

I think that the reason is that seagulls are actually quite dangerous.

The ones around here kill and eat pigeons.

(Do I have enough posts now to reach the hidden place?)

On 10/1/2017 at 12:01, Frank Hovis said:

Car doors banging all night, drunks walking past your front door.  

sounds like the allotment

Archived