• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
UmBongo

Electric storage heaters in flats

I'm after a bit of advice...

Every single property I have lived in to date has had gas central heating. This week I have a chance to place a bid on a Housing Association flat that has electric storage heating. I'm tempted to bid on it as it requires the incoming tenant to be over 30 years old therefore less competition to bid on the flat.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of heating? Or is it better if I bid for the flats that have GCH?

I had them in a flat and they were fine, came home to a warm flat.

One issue may be that Economy 7 type deals where the electricity is cheaper at night are less common than they were per a phone in on similar so if night prices are no cheaper then there is no advantage in night storage heaters. 

Thank you sooo much for the comments. :) You have just confirmed my suspicions about them.

If I was to bid on and 'win' the tenancy of this flat then I doubt there will be a signifacant cost saving over the centrally heated private rental I'm in at present. I'll use my bid on one of the others with GCH.

To look at it the other way -- if you're the sort of person who likes a nice toasty night, and are around during the day but then pop out in the evening, storage heaters are fantastic.

If you're doing a costs/benefits analysis, remember that storage heaters don't really have any ongoing maintenance costs vs gas.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

To look at it the other way -- if you're the sort of person who likes a nice toasty night, and are around during the day but then pop out in the evening, storage heaters are fantastic.

If you're doing a costs/benefits analysis, remember that storage heaters don't really have any ongoing maintenance costs vs gas.

Maintenance is not an issue when renting as the OP is.

I intend getting them if my GCH packs in but purely because I have solar panels so they can charge during the day; the absence of maintenance would then be a big plus for me.

I lived in a maisonette that had storage heaters, when I received the first bill I was convinced that the hairdresser downstairs had been using our electric. It was either that or some small fairground attraction.

You also need to be able to predict the weather so you know how much to ‘charge them up’ for the period you need them 

they also need constant attention with regard to the above and to let heat out or keep it in and impossible to hit the sweet spot. 

Plus any house that has them also means it’s likely to be electric hot water. Another waste of energy  

Awful things. 

Well tomorrow I've been invited to a viewing of a Housing Assoc flat with a proper heating system that was in the same bidding cycle as the storage heater-ed one I didn't bid on. :)

It's at 1.30pm tomorrow, not too far away from work so I can nip there during my lunch break.

That an intelligent full time worker like @UmBongo has to rely upon government-funded social housing for the roof over their head really underlines just how broken is the UK housing market.

I am beginning to think that the soft financial landing that I have been confidently expecting for years is no longer the case.

I am now expecting a crisis on a par with 1973-5 and for it not to be restricted to house prices. I don't think it's imminent, or at least I hope not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_banking_crisis_of_1973–75

19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That an intelligent full time worker like @UmBongo has to rely upon government-funded social housing for the roof over their head really underlines just how broken is the UK housing market.

I am beginning to think that the soft financial landing that I have been confidently expecting for years is no longer the case.

I am now expecting a crisis on a par with 1973-5 and for it not to be restricted to house prices. I don't think it's imminent, or at least I hope not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_banking_crisis_of_1973–75

Indeed. The calls that were made in regards the housing market being over-leveraged can now be made for pretty much every sector of the economy thanks to interest rate suppression, QE and the resultant gearing across the board. Investors are not being compensated for the risk either and it is all reliant on those conditions continuing. 

Just now, onlyme said:

Indeed. The calls that were made in regards the housing market being over-leveraged can now be made for pretty much every sector of the economy thanks to interest rate suppression, QE and the resultant gearing across the board. Investors are not being compensated for the risk either and it is all reliant on those conditions continuing. 

Spot on.

It can continue for a bit and I hope it does as I am realising my gains slowly.

I'm not prepared to put up with the inconvenience of selling to rent or I would be doing that as well.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thanks Frank! :$

For the record, the self contained HA flat I've been invited to view is £397 a month. 34% of my net income as opposed to 47% that my current place costs. Of course the Government prefers that the likes of me should rent privately. For the same rent I could get a room in a shared house. Or just about stretch to a studio flat - with storage heaters!

It's interesting seeing some of the ex council properties come up for rent in my city. The rent they seek is around TWICE what a council tenant would pay for his or her home with an identical layout. It does not make sense.

This fortnight's 'Private Eye' magazine is scathing about the extra Help To Buy funding to be made available to first time buyers. Instead they are of the opinion that it should be ploughed into new council housing and HA homes for rent. They get it!

Council housing is not now what it was meant to be. I would be quite happy there, if it were available, but there's not enough, and it is "peculiar" to say the least, who qualifies.o.O