DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Petrol & diesel motorbikes to be banned in UK by 2035 (old news)

Andersen

UK.gov has announced that the sale of petrol & diesel motorbikes will be outlawed by 2035 - this was formalised in July but they didn't publicise it - I wonder why !

A bit long (monotone voice, lots of waffle but some solid info) -

Source is unconfirmed but there are plenty of similar reports https://duckduckgo.com/?q=uk+to+ban+sale+of+motorcycles+2035&t=brave&ia=web

:PissedOff:

• Informative 1

It's probably a case of let the free market, and the consumer decide. The market for ICE vehicles may decline. In the case of motorcycles, electric ones make more sense than the cars.

The government should have no say in what the customer buys.

It's called a "free market".

I expect motorcycles make very little contribution to pollution.

Edited by MrPin
  • Agree 1

Caravan Monster

The electric bikes are improving all the time, but there simply isn't enough lithium to make all the batteries. Surely this legislation will have to be repealed when it becomes evidently unworkable  and 2035 approaches. This one is an 80 horsepower :o Swedish motocrosser. I suspect the performance numbers are rather like 'covid' statistics. The company owner looks like a Bond villain xD

https://starkfuture.com/en-us-GB

• Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

The electric bikes are improving all the time, but there simply isn't enough lithium to make all the batteries. Surely this legislation will have to be repealed when it becomes evidently unworkable  and 2035 approaches. This one is an 80 horsepower :o Swedish motocrosser. I suspect the performance numbers are rather like 'covid' statistics. The company owner looks like a Bond villain xD

https://starkfuture.com/en-us-GB

Nobody is buying electric motorbikes. Nobody wants them. When petrol is banned people will just stop motorcycling

• Agree 3

Caravan Monster
15 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Nobody is buying electric motorbikes. Nobody wants them. When petrol is banned people will just stop motorcycling

Investors have been pouring money into developing them for years now, but I can't remember ever having seen one on the road. 

We had a similar discussion on here recently about the cost and practicality of high powered electric E-bicycles vs cheap mopeds / 125cc IC bikes.

E-cycles take many hours to charge, and charging points away from home are limited. If you live in a flat you can't easily charge it. By contrast a moped / 125cc bike costs less to buy and you can refill the tank in a few minutes at any petrol station. We don't have the battery technology at an affordable price, or the charging infrastructure to make elec motorbikes a practical alternative :/ 

• Agree 2