• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Plan to build Europe's largest Hindu temple in..... Exeter????

Whilst I object to sunni islam as an evil death cult I have nothing against Hinduism or Hindus so nothing in principle against their having a temple in Exeter.

This scheme, however, is mad.  There are the square root of SFA hindus in the south west.  This would be like Tiverton Town (attendances typically c. 200) building a 60,000 capapcity stadium.

Fortunately the bloke is a "property developer" and he has a claimed massive 1% of the funds so it's probably just some planning scam to build more houses on the green belt.

An ambitious plan to build a £5 million temple in Devon - which will be the largest in Europe - has been launched by Exeter’s Hindu community.

The proposal would see a huge and ornately carved temple built, which is similar to the giant temple in Neasden, London - but even bigger.

“In all, we are looking for a site of four acres,” said Exeter-based property developer Prem Sivlal, who is spearheading the project.

“With the rise of the Hindu community in the South West, including medical and dental schools and a rapidly expanding student population, now is the time to build a place of worship,” said Mr Sivlal.

“Visually, the temple will be very like the one at Neasden in London, which is beautifully carved and very ornate - but larger.”

As well as providing a place of worship, the temple will also be an “ashram” for yoga, meditation and exercise. It will also promote Ayurvedic complementary medicine, Eastern diet and cookery, music, dance and art.

“We are a peaceful religion, we welcome diversity and are against violence in all its forms. With all the problems in the world today, we believe that Hinduism can be a real force for the good and help promote peace, unity and understanding,” said Mr Sivlal.

He grew up in South Africa and has lived in Devon for 40 years, working as a property developer.

So far the fund-raising has gathered around £50,000 but Mr Sivlal hopes that large international donors will soon come on board.

“We want this to be the biggest Hindu temple in Europe,” he said. “We are actively looking for sites in and around the city. As an interim, we may take on an existing building in the city centre to be our temple but in the longer term, we intend to build one from scratch - and it will be magnificent.”

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/plan-build-europes-biggest-hindu-554197

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst I object to sunni islam as an evil death cult I have nothing against Hinduism or Hindus so nothing in principle against their having a temple in Exeter.

This scheme, however, is mad.  There are the square root of SFA hindus in the south west.  This would be like Tiverton Town (attendances typically c. 200) building a 60,000 capapcity stadium.

Fortunately the bloke is a "property developer" and he has a claimed massive 1% of the funds so it's probably just some planning scam to build more houses on the green belt.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/plan-build-europes-biggest-hindu-554197

For now Frank, for now.  Don't forget the mass unfettered immigration that the establishment are actively encouraging 

5 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

In all honesty I'm leaning toward being in favour of this, as long as it doesn't turn out to be scam. Purely personal preference, I can understand why others would feel differently. 

I'm fine with a Hindu temple in Exeter for the existing Hindus.

I am not fine for the biggest Hindu temple in Europe being built there ovver four acres and encouraging loads of Hindus to move here from abroad.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I am not fine for the biggest Hindu temple in Europe being built there ovver four acres and encouraging loads of Hindus to move here from abroad.

Yep, I completely understand that. I doubt a big temple would encourage anyone to move if they were already settled elsewhere, but of those looking to move anyway it would surely be an encouragement for them to come to the UK rather than go somewhere else.

My reasons for being in favour are arguably dubious, hence why I haven't actually stated them. It just feels alright to me, that's pretty much all I can say.

I don't live in Exeter though.

2 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

My reasons for being in favour are arguably dubious, hence why I haven't actually stated them. It just feels alright to me, that's pretty much all I can say.

Hindus often actively dislike Muslims and have the advantage of being on the minority hierarchy themselves so can get away with more than native white Brits. Just a thought...

19 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Five million quid for something this size seems a bit conservative to me.

Mind you, if it's being privately built and not with taxpayers cash then it might be realistic I suppose.

The London one cost £12m to build and that was 25 years ago.  And they did all the craftsman work in India (where the craftsmen were) and there was a massive community volunteer contribution*.

[the point being, I suppose, that there isn't a massive community to volunteer in Exeter...]

3 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

There was a story about building a massive new Sikh temple in Hull yesterday. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/plans-huge-sikh-temple-east-553804.amp

Is there a big chunk of grant money doing the rounds?

That's another odd story.

Why build one so massive?

Again, fine with Sikhs.

To be honest, I'd rather they spent this money on playgrounds or something.

35 minutes ago, dgul said:

The London one cost £12m to build and that was 25 years ago.  And they did all the craftsman work in India (where the craftsmen were) and there was a massive community volunteer contribution*.

[the point being, I suppose, that there isn't a massive community to volunteer in Exeter...]

Ah, righto.

I tried to find out how much a huge mosque in Oxford cost which was built when I was there but that info is conspicuous by it's absence.

The Centre for Islamic Studies in Oxford cost 60 million but I'll bet my left arse-cheek that funding for that was received from...ah...vested interests, shall we say.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

ER yes Frank. That does not make sense

7 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

To be honest, I'd rather they spent this money on playgrounds or something.

Ah, righto.

I tried to find out how much a huge mosque in Oxford cost which was built when I was there but that info is conspicuous by it's absence.

The Centre for Islamic Studies in Oxford cost 60 million but I'll bet my left arse-cheek that funding for that was received from...ah...vested interests, shall we say.

What gets me is yhey claim the money was raised by local muslim. But then 85% are on benefits.

Who could have known that the Beatles involvement with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi would help to result in all this stuff.

Who could have known that lads from the terraces of Liverpool would have even had an inkling about something like the Maharishi and Hinduism.

Do the Hare Krishnas still walk around London etc as freely as they used to considering how things are.

Edited by twocents

13 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It wouldn't bother me. I live amongst many Hindus and Sikhs - they are both excellent iSlam buffers but Hindus are humble in comparison.

Edited by OurDayWillCome

4 hours ago, Wahoo said:

What happens if the muslims  decide to build the biggest mosque in Exeter to compete ?

We'll have a my church is "bigger than yours" cock waving competition, and God doesn't care.

Saw on portillo's train programme once, one of the largest/earliest mosques in europe (or some other temple, possibly even hindu) was somewhere improbable on the south coast, due to there being a bunch of foreign immigrants/sailors there once. I'm a bit shaky on the details though.