Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

House plants


spunko

Recommended Posts

Any DOSBODers into house plants such as cacti? I am a recent convert.

Having grown up with dusty, ailing swiss cheese plants and the like I have always shied away from having plants inside the house, but have recently discovered (thanks to the internet) a funny old world of plants that eat moths, overweight ugly things and other such lark.

 

Euphorbia_stellata_8302_l.jpg

 

Adenium-Bonsai-Seedling4.jpg

 

104_0481.JPG

 

3721642-A-flowering-stone-plant-Stock-Ph

Anyone got anything interesting? I have a few cacti, and a Lithops (last one) but planning to add all of these over time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Any DOSBODers into house plants such as cacti? I am a recent convert.

Having grown up with dusty, ailing swiss cheese plants and the like I have always shied away from having plants inside the house, but have recently discovered (thanks to the internet) a funny old world of plants that eat moths, overweight ugly things and other such lark.

 

Euphorbia_stellata_8302_l.jpg

 

Adenium-Bonsai-Seedling4.jpg

 

104_0481.JPG

 

3721642-A-flowering-stone-plant-Stock-Ph

Anyone got anything interesting? I have a few cacti, and a Lithops (last one) but planning to add all of these over time.

I like house plants and have quite a few dotted about.  I like that they are alive and clean/purify the air in the house (in reality they probably do very little but in my head they massively increase the air quality) they also look nice too. I don't have anything interesting though just common stuff.  The Lithops looks interesting, I haven't seen them before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a lot of plants in the garden, but only a few in the house at present. Peace lily, cacti and orchids are the only house plants. I plan to add many more though as my kids are growing up now and less likely to knock plants over etc. I also need to put a few shelves up too to put them on.

My list of jobs is quite long at the moment....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, One percent said:

I have orchids. I'm not good with house plants but orchids seem to survive whatever it is I do wrong  

Anybody ever tried to grow vanilla? I really love the stuff. It's a type of orchid I believe but needs very particular conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got this cactus that regularly does this freaky alien tendril flowering thing. Basically there'll be a bit of a nub on the cactus then a short while later, you'll go to the loo in the middle of the night, and there'll be this huge cactus flower suddenly appeared. Picture doesn't do justice to how vibrant the flower is. Always most vibrant right in the dead of night and doesn't last. cactus.thumb.jpg.b78c0d1894af50c423882b349e9f8617.jpg 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
On 01/10/2017 at 12:36, spunko2010 said:

Anyone got anything interesting? I have a few cacti, and a Lithops (last one) but planning to add all of these over time.

My Wife brought back a flowering cactus a couple of years ago. I too thought it would be an ugly dust trap - I was wrong! It has beautiful magenta flowers in November and they last for ages. It's one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlumbergera

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

My Wife brought back a flowering cactus a couple of years ago. I too thought it would be an ugly dust trap - I was wrong! It has beautiful magenta flowers in November and they last for ages. It's one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlumbergera

I've got one of them.  I got it from Aldi of all places a few years ago and wasn't expecting much when I bought it but it's still going strong and produces loads of flowers every easter providing it's placed in the sun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Inoperational Bumblebee
On 10/1/2017 at 12:36, spunko2010 said:

plants that eat moths, overweight ugly things and other such lark

What are they?

I love plants too. I've got a Golden Pothos in work as it copes well with artificial light, doesn't yellow, and seems totally idiot-proof. Looks nice too, draped over my shelves.
Did have an aloe vera in the house but I think I over-watered it and it rotted.
Got a huge yucca that I've grown from when it was only a foot high; it's now about as tall as I am.
Peace Lily.
Also got some small spiky thing that has needed repotting for several years.

My wife hates them though. I had to get rid of the chilli plants when the baby arrived. >:(
I'm hoping when we move house we find one with a conservatory. It's going to be amazing. Full of my plants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

What are they?

I love plants too. I've got a Golden Pothos in work as it copes well with artificial light, doesn't yellow, and seems totally idiot-proof. Looks nice too, draped over my shelves.
Did have an aloe vera in the house but I think I over-watered it and it rotted.
Got a huge yucca that I've grown from when it was only a foot high; it's now about as tall as I am.
Peace Lily.
Also got some small spiky thing that has needed repotting for several years.

My wife hates them though. I had to get rid of the chilli plants when the baby arrived. >:(
I'm hoping when we move house we find one with a conservatory. It's going to be amazing. Full of my plants.

I had an aloe vera but I think I underwatered it if anything. Or maybe it didn't get enough light. I'm using the past tense although it's still clinging on for life just about, don't think it'll last another few months though.

The plant in the photo is a Euphorbia stellata, but the caudex (trunk) one mine isn't nearly as fat as that one. I don't think it has a common name, maybe elephant plant but not sure. They are basically just planted really shallow so that the tuber/bulb is visible above ground and then thickens up - in nature it's partly under the ground.

You have to wait a few years for the caudex to get like that one above I believe. Mine currently looks more like this:

ae0a510878dcb2066df82e6db353e283--unusua

If you Google 'Caudiciform' there are loads of weird ones. I have asked for a few for Christmas :ph34r:

My favourite is probably this:

99270161f9e445efad7adbc71f132068--succul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long time lurking
6 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

What are they?

I love plants too. I've got a Golden Pothos in work as it copes well with artificial light, doesn't yellow, and seems totally idiot-proof. Looks nice too, draped over my shelves.
Did have an aloe vera in the house but I think I over-watered it and it rotted.
Got a huge yucca that I've grown from when it was only a foot high; it's now about as tall as I am.
Peace Lily.
Also got some small spiky thing that has needed repotting for several years.

My wife hates them though. I had to get rid of the chilli plants when the baby arrived. >:(
I'm hoping when we move house we find one with a conservatory. It's going to be amazing. Full of my plants.

I had one of theses for a few years surprisingly hot peppers and very colourful 

 

Image result for multi coloured chili peppers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Inoperational Bumblebee
1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

I had one of theses for a few years surprisingly hot peppers and very colourful 

 

Image result for multi coloured chili peppers

Very nice! Looks like an 'edible ornamental' (see website of same name if it still exists).
I had two Aji Limon (amazing with seafood but not too hot), a California Reaper, some kind of Naga and some other boring ones. At that time we were eating food that would probably kill some people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long time lurking
8 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Very nice! Looks like an 'edible ornamental' (see website of same name if it still exists).
I had two Aji Limon (amazing with seafood but not too hot), a California Reaper, some kind of Naga and some other boring ones. At that time we were eating food that would probably kill some people.

I think they were called Bolivian rainbow peppers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...