DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Fairy lights and 12v batteries

humdrum

Question

I know zilch about electricity, but I have a pile of wonky fairy lights and a couple of 12v lead acid batteries and my New Years Resolution is to fix the former and run them off the latter. The only thing is that the lights are 1.5v, so how do I connect them up without a blow out?

Remember that you are talking to Mr Thicko here. I know that when a fuse blows you can use the silver paper from a packet of John Players, but after that I get a bit lost. So thanks for any advice, but please keep it simple.

Ta :)

5 answers to this question

You can get in car adapters which step down from 12v to a range of voltages. Will come with a cigarette lighter attachment thing so either fit a socket on a wire to the batteries or cut it off and wire direct.
something like this (not a recommendation, first one that came up off ebay) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164326310217
Probably a good idea to fit a fuse from the batteries to anything as well, you can get inline blade fuse holders which use the came fuses as cars.

Charge regulator and small solar panel will also keep it all going - what I use in my garden.

2 hours ago, belfastchild said:

You can get in car adapters which step down from 12v to a range of voltages. Will come with a cigarette lighter attachment thing so either fit a socket on a wire to the batteries or cut it off and wire direct.
something like this (not a recommendation, first one that came up off ebay) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164326310217
Probably a good idea to fit a fuse from the batteries to anything as well, you can get inline blade fuse holders which use the came fuses as cars.

Charge regulator and small solar panel will also keep it all going - what I use in my garden.

Ah, sounds good.

Many thanks.

15 minutes ago, jm51 said:

To run 1.5v lights from a 12v battery, have 8 of them in series. 8 x 1.5v = 12v.

Make sure that the lights are working first. If one of the 8 lights is dead, none of the lights will get power.

Good idea. Many thanks.