DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The best roadside services.

With a crooked smile

With a crooked smile

Tebay motorway services are often voted the best in the UK. They are family run and have a farm shop feel. Just down the road on the A66 is Rheged services. Nicely landscaped with a grass roof again it has a deli or farm shop feel. 

You soon realise the north's services are far better than the south's. Any other recommendations? 

IMG_20220102_133059.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

With a crooked smile

Pork pies and sausage rolls not dodgie Greggs mind. 

IMG_20220102_132818.jpg

Andersen

Watching with interest as I use the motorways a lot - I thought this was going to be a debate about RAC vs AA vs Geenflag etc xD

Edited by Andersen
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Calcutta

Baldock, off the A1M north of Stevenage, has a big screen and shows the football. 

The guy at Kripsy Kreme in Cherwell services off the M40 once scooped up all his remaining doughnuts, bagged them and asked me and the kids if we wanted them. Can't fight with that attitude. 

• Love 1

Joncrete Cungle

Tebay always stop there to drop the kids off at the pool on the way to and from Lakes & Scotland.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

whitevanman

I like Watford Gap as it lets you drive straight off and on the Mway without having to drive around a labyrinth of service roads. It’s the original and best

• Agree 1

The XMAS Man

Tebay would top my list too. 

I've always been very fond of Wetherby for some reason - maybe because I know I'm only an hour or so from home.

XMAS

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

Bobthebuilder

I like the one up the A1M, not sure of the name. Come off at a roundabout northbound, 3rd exit, then a right into the car park. Showers and stuff for truckers, but, the best bacon and egg rolls on the entire UK road network. Great place.

Edited by Bobthebuilder

The XMAS Man
20 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I like the one up the A1M, not sure of the name. Come off at a roundabout northbound, 3rd exit, then a right into the car park. Showers and stuff for truckers, but, the best bacon and egg rolls on the entire UK road network. Great place.

Can't you at least give us a clue to it's approximate location...?

My best guess would be Scotch Corner as they have showers, but the A1 is a fucking long road mate...!

XMAS

Edited by The XMAS Man

Bobthebuilder
13 minutes ago, The XMAS Man said:

Can't you at least give us a clue to it's approximate location...?

My best guess would be Scotch Corner as they have showers, but the A1 is a fucking long road mate...!

XMAS

Some where right North, county Durham way , not far from Newcastle.

The XMAS Man
3 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Some where right North, county Durham way , not far from Newcastle.

Well there's only really Durham and Washington services that fit that description, and neither of them are how you describe your favourite place. They are both corporate type services.

I suggested Scotch Corner in my last post, but technically that's in North Yorkshire. It's VERY close to the County Durham border though. It also has a truckstop called Barton Park adjacent to it, so I think that is probably the one you are on about.

XMAS

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, The XMAS Man said:

Well there's only really Durham and Washington services that fit that description, and neither of them are how you describe your favourite place. They are both corporate type services.

I suggested Scotch Corner in my last post, but technically that's in North Yorkshire. It's VERY close to the County Durham border though. It also has a truckstop called Barton Park adjacent to it, so I think that is probably the one you are on about.

XMAS

Probably, I don't spend that much time up that neck of the woods.

Great bacon and egg roll, mind, wrapped in tin foil.

Drove all the way up there a couple of years ago, was going to give the stop a miss as has a posh tea booked in Newcastle, turned up with egg spillage on me posh jeans.

• Lol 1

belfastchild

Another vote for Tebay. Always stop there and get a few things when Im passing up or down.
If heading up to the ferry in scotland on a sunday, always stop and have sunday lunch there.

Watched the channel 4 series about them recently.

5 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Another vote for Tebay. Always stop there and get a few things when Im passing up or down.
If heading up to the ferry in scotland on a sunday, always stop and have sunday lunch there.

Watched the channel 4 series about them recently.

That's the one I call "Felicity Kendal Services". It's better than "Fred West Services, on the M5.

• Lol 1

Frank Hovis

As I've only ever used two, Taunton Deane and Sedgemoor, and Sedgemoor only the once, I will have to say Taunton Deane.

I find them depressing dystopian places which would be ideal settings for a zombie horror film.

There's something about services / shops that aren't part of a residential area which I find unsettling; I feel the same about out of town shopping centres.

It's like a natural central part of a town has been surgically removed from its evolved setting.

Like putting London Bridge in an American desert.

• Agree 1

Snake Plissken

The extra markup on fuel in these places is crazy, surely they make their money on food etc nowadays, if the fuel was little more than elsewhere then more people would use it. As it is I'll make sure fill up before motorway and hold on until after, or even do a short detour at a junction to get fuel. The fuel prices in the services are robbery.

• Agree 2

With a crooked smile
48 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

As it is I'll make sure fill up before motorway and hold on until after, or even do a short detour at a junction to get fuel. The fuel prices in the services are robbery.

100% agree. If I'm caught short fuel wise I always try and stick the mimimum necessary to get me to somewhere more reasonably priced. 

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

As I've only ever used two, Taunton Deane and Sedgemoor, and Sedgemoor only the once, I will have to say Taunton Deane.

I find them depressing dystopian places which would be ideal settings for a zombie horror film.

There's something about services / shops that aren't part of a residential area which I find unsettling; I feel the same about out of town shopping centres.

It's like a natural central part of a town has been surgically removed from its evolved setting.

Like putting London Bridge in an American desert.

I always think they must be the most weird place to work. They are basically retail and normally I'd expect someone to walk or cycle to that sort of job a short distance from where they live. The idea of getting in a car and driving down the motorway to a retail job seems odd to me. 

• Agree 1

Don Coglione
6 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

I always think they must be the most weird place to work. They are basically retail and normally I'd expect someone to walk or cycle to that sort of job a short distance from where they live. The idea of getting in a car and driving down the motorway to a retail job seems odd to me. 

Often, they can be accessed by little-known local service roads.

Very handy (if slightly illegal) as short-cuts, or even changing direction if there is a traffic bridge and you are feeling very brave (coppers often sit on the bridges as they can go in either direction if called).

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis
16 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

And also the 24 hour opening.

How bleak and dull must it be to work the night shift there in January?

There is something inhuman about them.

Edit: one opened in Cornwall maybe ten years ago; on the A30 at Victoria (between the St Austell and Newquay turn offs). I have never been there and given a free hand I never will.

Edited by Frank Hovis
  • Agree 1

I liked Symonds Yat services on the A40. I don't know if it has been modernised but back in the early 2000s, it had the air of a place destined to be the scene of a late night horror movie.

Edited by Imp

12 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

This reminds me, has anyone seen a Norbert Dentressangle truck on UK roads since Brexit?

I liked seeing those. I haven't left the house since covid brexit.

Does the Charlton Heston Services still exist on going out West from London? It was all "the country" past that point. You had to change into brown shoes, and lose the club tie.