• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Safety Razors

Recommended Posts

Anyone here use a safety razor? I've been using one for 6 months and love it. I love using a tool that's identical to one made a century ago. I love the noise when you are cutting your stubble. I also love using blades that involve little packaging and little profit for the likes of Gillete with their 6 bladed "best ever" razors.

Here are two of my razors :) 

A Feather and an Executive Braveheart :)

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a cheap one I bought in Boots and once my stock of Lidl razors runs out (about three years!) I will be seeing how I get on with it before pushing the boat out and getting one of those.  Which do look incredibly cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone here use a safety razor? I've been using one for 6 months and love it. I love using a tool that's identical to one made a century ago. I love the noise when you are cutting your stubble. I also love using blades that involve little packaging and little profit for the likes of Gillete with their 6 bladed "best ever" razors.

Here are two of my razors :) 

A Feather and an Executive Braveheart :)

image.jpg

I think they're very cool.  Like you I also love the fact they have been around for years unchanged, are economical and well, just work.  I've had a beard for the last 15 years or so but if I ever do start shaving properly again I'll be buying one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaps, if you fancy buying one try an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's about £30. You can buy 200 decent blades for £25. So that's a couple of years shaving for £55.

Environmentally they are brilliant. Each razor is a slither of steel which you can put in your recycling (after putting them in a steel can and flattening it).

I started using them because I was getting annoyed with the new razors being brought out every 6 months.

It's hard to compare razors, however I think a safety razor copes really well with week old stubble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Chaps, if you fancy buying one try an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's about £30. You can buy 200 decent blades for £25. So that's a couple of years shaving for £55.

Environmentally they are brilliant. Each razor is a slither of steel which you can put in your recycling (after putting them in a steel can and flattening it).

I started using them because I was getting annoyed with the new razors being brought out every 6 months.

It's hard to compare razors, however I think a safety razor copes really well with week old stubble.

That was the thing for me.  Mutiblade disposables just clogged up.

I gave up on it all in the end and grew a beard.  I don't really understand the fuss about shaving -- it doesn't really make that much sense to me.  

Edited by dgul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely love shaving with a traditional double edged safety razor, a badger hair brush and quality shaving cream/soap that you lather up.

I could go on all day about shaving geekery ;)

I started using a safey razor about 10 years ago, I used to get loads of ingrowing hairs on the neck/razor burn, used the normal 2 blade cartridge razors and wanted to find something a bit better.

There's some good shaving forums (badger and blade / shaving shack etc) and happy to keep this thread going!

I'm using a Merkur barber pole (bought the shorter version at first but found it a bit stubby in my big hands)

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132664-Merkur-HD-Barber-Pole-38C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284012413.html

Tried loads of blades using the above companies starter kits, hated Derby blades but found 7 o'clock / personna / feathers (sooooo fucking sharp these) / astra blades really good. I just buy a job lot from amazon that last me a year or so.

I like shaving creams such as Proraso green, Truefitt and Hill , Taylor of Old bond Street.

Nothing more bad ass than lathering up and running a fine piece of old fashioned and traditional shaving gear over yer chops.

I learned how to shave properly from various youtube videos, took me a while but now I find that my skin doesn't suffer nicks or ingrown hairs hardly ... and it's just fucking manly using a traditional razor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JFK said:

Absolutely love shaving with a traditional double edged safety razor, a badger hair brush and quality shaving cream/soap that you lather up.

I could go on all day about shaving geekery ;)

I started using a safey razor about 10 years ago, I used to get loads of ingrowing hairs on the neck/razor burn, used the normal 2 blade cartridge razors and wanted to find something a bit better.

There's some good shaving forums (badger and blade / shaving shack etc) and happy to keep this thread going!

I'm using a Merkur barber pole (bought the shorter version at first but found it a bit stubby in my big hands)

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132664-Merkur-HD-Barber-Pole-38C-Safety-Razor-Chrome-4045284012413.html

Tried loads of blades using the above companies starter kits, hated Derby blades but found 7 o'clock / personna / feathers (sooooo fucking sharp these) / astra blades really good. I just buy a job lot from amazon that last me a year or so.

I like shaving creams such as Proraso green, Truefitt and Hill , Taylor of Old bond Street.

Nothing more bad ass than lathering up and running a fine piece of old fashioned and traditional shaving gear over yer chops.

I learned how to shave properly from various youtube videos, took me a while but now I find that my skin doesn't suffer nicks or ingrown hairs hardly ... and it's just fucking manly using a traditional razor.

I'd better not dwell on thsi or I'll be writing myself a list!

I did once investigate the prior cut throat razor but I understand that the long flat blade makes it a right pain to do the rounder, fiddlier parts of your face hence the number of Victorians with clean shaven cheeks but beards aroudn the lips and chin:

Charles-Dickens-9274087-2-402%5B1%5D.jpg

il_570xN.430513809_swcq.jpg

Abraham-Lincoln-1280x800-2.jpg

 

It's not a hard and fast rule but you can see why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JFK said:

Yeah, fuck using a cut-throat!!!

I used to be a barber, I kid you not, in the city. 

Anyone fancies a hot shave with an open blade, I'm your person. 

I may be a bit rusty so at your own peril. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

I used to be a barber, I kid you not, in the city. 

Anyone fancies a hot shave with an open blade, I'm your person. 

I may be a bit rusty so at your own peril. 

All the hot towels and stuff?  Wow, seriously impressed.  As impressed as by @JFK's awesome luxury shaving kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

I used to be a barber, I kid you not, in the city. 

Anyone fancies a hot shave with an open blade, I'm your person. 

I may be a bit rusty so at your own peril. 

I'd like to use a cut-throat as it seems just so ... FUCKING BADASS.

... but I think it's only for the purists.

Anyway, @One percent earlier ...

 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

All the hot towels and stuff?  Wow, seriously impressed.  As impressed as by @JFK's awesome luxury shaving kit.

I love my shaving gear.  It's unashamedly Art of Manliness territory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

All the hot towels and stuff?  Wow, seriously impressed.  As impressed as by @JFK's awesome luxury shaving kit.

Yep.  I also taught it for a while. Mature students. The normal procedure is to teach them how to shave a balloon. But, those don't have noses and chins. I made them bring in partners, brothers, dads etc.  Some very scared people  xD but fun and much more realistic. 

@JFK I also make some wonderful pies. O.oxD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

All the hot towels and stuff?  Wow, seriously impressed.  As impressed as by @JFK's awesome luxury shaving kit.

At one point you could get a hot towel shave in Bastion. After 6 weeks on the ground, a proper shave was a luxury. Cut throat razors were the norm and accidents were rare...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

At one point you could get a hot towel shave in Bastion. After 6 weeks on the ground, a proper shave was a luxury. Cut throat razors were the norm and accidents were rare...

In the profession, we prefer to call them an open blade B|

thinking on the current troubles, I used to carry one in my handbag at all times. If stopped by plod, I would plan on pointing to the shaving foam block and badger brush.  "Tools of the trade mate". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

In the profession, we prefer to call them an open blade B|

thinking on the current troubles, I used to carry one in my handbag at all times. If stopped by plod, I would plan on pointing to the shaving foam block and badger brush.  "Tools of the trade mate". 

My A-level biology teacher used to carry a cut-throat razor in his jacket pocket. He'd pull it out and sharpen his pencils with it, he was fucking nuts. Mind you his nickname was 'the mad gringo' (on account of having a big moustache that vageuly made him look like some mad mexican ... well to a load of 16 year olds it made sense. mutter mutter mutter)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JFK said:

My A-level biology teacher used to carry a cut-throat razor in his jacket pocket. He'd pull it out and sharpen his pencils with it, he was fucking nuts. Mind you his nickname was 'the mad gringo' (on account of having a big moustache that vageuly made him look like some mad mexican ... well to a load of 16 year olds it made sense. mutter mutter mutter)

Ah hem. Open blade...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was using my dad's Gillette Slim Twist from the 60s until last year when the opening flaps went just a bit too far out of alignment. Still have my Gillette Tech from the 70s somewhere but got myself a Merkur 33C until it turns up. I use common or garden Wilkinson Sword blades and soap. I ram the soap into the bottom of an old work mug and froth up with a silvertip badger-hair brush, just because. Still got my dad's creamware shaving mug in reserve, swapped out at the moment, and a couple of very worn down, white plastic-handled badger brushes from whenever. Only learned the names of all this stuff when I was looking for the Merkur and was surprised to see it held in high regard, it was nothing special back then, just ordinary shaving stuff.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.