• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Poseidon

Micro Sd card unreadable

Micro Sd card in phone has stopped working/unreadable.

Tried it in other devices, no joy.

Tried recovery softwate, no joy.

Any where I could send it to atempt to recover the photos on it. Is it possible.

Any hope here. 

Not sure which recovery software you've used, but I've had quite a bit of success with photorec.  It is a linux app, so you'd have to download an ubuntu live distro, then put onto a usb stick.

Funnily enough, I used it yesterday.  I bought a disk second hand from Cex (complicated story), and for fun ran it through photorec -- I was surprised that it hadn't been wiped and had just been reformatted -- it was full of files.  I guess the lesson there is don't assume any of these people will wipe your data if you sell  a surplus machine to them.

Anyway, if that doesn't work then you're in the realms of the 'pros' which i) are expensive and ii) actually won't do more than run something like photorec, so if you're not had success they won't either.  Unless you spend big bucks -- direct connection to the chips etc -- but that is more of a forensics lab thing and way out of reach.

6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You say you have tried recovery software - there's some here that might be worth a try if not already done so. 

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/14560/how-to-recover-data-from-a-bad-sd-card

Ive plugged  it into a PC and it simply doesnt even react to it.

Plugging it into a mac results in a message saying 'card unreadable. ..'  then 3 choices ' initialise' 'ignore' or 'eject'

It doesnt seem to be recognised in any way.  

8 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Ive plugged  it into a PC and it simply doesnt even react to it.

Plugging it into a mac results in a message saying 'card unreadable. ..'  then 3 choices ' initialise' 'ignore' or 'eject'

It doesnt seem to be recognised in any way.  

Deffo try the linux distort with test disk / photoreceptors then as they can apparently detect files without valid partition information, also seen the freezer trick mentioned elsewhere and that worth a try -  that would likely fix more of a hardware/physical problem - presumably shrinking the device and temporarily restoring a solder connection on the card.

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Was your phone backed up recently? Mine automatically uploads photos to the cloud so if I lost it my photos would still be there.

Hope you can find them again, or get them off that card.

Yep. Got it sorted. I thought I  had set up an  auto back up to the cloud but I couldnt see the photos on there because, and im guessing here..the SD card was removed(doesnt seem to be any internal memory).

Went to laptop checked account and there they all were.

Wife a lot happier today then last night. 3 months of photos of the kids on holiday 1st day at school etc etc.

Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions.👍

Good that you were able to recover the files from back up.

I recently had an SD card from a DSLR go caput. Had all the holiday snaps on it. I was (foolishly) working directly on the card deleting the duff images before copying them to the PC when the USB card reader 'detached' which resulted in the card being corrupted. Tried all kinds of free tools without success then found a tool from here:

http://www.eassos.com/

It cost nearly 70 quid (for lifetime license, half that for a 30 day license) but managed to recover about 80% of the photos. Has a trial mode where you can recover something like a couple of hundred files but I had more images than that and was happy to pay someone for the effort of creating a tool that actually works.

3 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Yep. Got it sorted. I thought I  had set up an  auto back up to the cloud but I couldnt see the photos on there because, and im guessing here..the SD card was removed(doesnt seem to be any internal memory).

Went to laptop checked account and there they all were.

Wife a lot happier today then last night. 3 months of photos of the kids on holiday 1st day at school etc etc.

Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions.👍

First day at school, shit!

Glad you got it sorted.