DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Wen Elon?

jamtomorrow

2 hours ago, jamtomorrow said:

https://news.sky.com/story/elizabeth-holmes-former-chief-executive-of-blood-testing-startup-theranos-found-guilty-of-fraud-12508609

The worm has started turning, but Elon hasn't yet realised he might actually be held accountable for his statements at some point in the future. What fun!

Tried hard but didn't understand. The BBC page quoted him as saying "a couple of thousand satellites no biggie, like a couple of thousand cars on earth." Then Prof. Egghead debunks (pages of weird formulas) that there is space for tens of billions. What does it all mean, apart from someone doesn't like Elon.

I have heard it said, in the context of the changing room in professional team sports, that "winning fixes everything". I think this maxim will apply to Elon as well. While people are making money no-one will rock the boat, but if we get a BK Tesla will surely crater and implode. In that scenario recriminations will be bitter, and Elon has already committed many felonies that will be used at that point in time to put all blame on him personally and none on authorities that let this go on or investors that should have known better.

44 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Tried hard but didn't understand. The BBC page quoted him as saying "a couple of thousand satellites no biggie, like a couple of thousand cars on earth." Then Prof. Egghead debunks (pages of weird formulas) that there is space for tens of billions. What does it all mean, apart from someone doesn't like Elon.

From the BBC article:

20220104_110704.thumb.jpg.fbdf41b50aa0f4033c4a9eb4cc646b6d.jpg

1 minute ago, jamtomorrow said:

From the BBC article:

Surely his get out would be "oh a futuristic satelite could be the size of my bell-end"? All the debunking maths etc will be assuming a given minimum satelite size.

He might use a different unit of measure to be fair

8 minutes ago, jamtomorrow said:

From the BBC article:

20220104_110704.thumb.jpg.fbdf41b50aa0f4033c4a9eb4cc646b6d.jpg

Cannot get through Financial Times paywall to see what he actually said but Telegraph reports it like this:

“Space is just extremely enormous and satellites are very tiny,” he told the Financial Times.

“This is not some situation where we’re effectively blocking others in any way.”

He noted there were 2bn cars and trucks on the roads globally but that each orbital “shell” around Earth was larger than the entire planet’s surface.

“That would imply room for tens of billions of satellites,” he added. “A couple of thousand is nothing. It’s like ‘Hey, here’s a couple of thousand of cars on earth’.”

His comments come after the European Space Agency claimed regulators were failing to respond quickly enough” to Mr Musk’s actions.

Josef Aschbacher, the ESA chief, said: “You have one person owning half of the active satellites in the world. De facto, he is making the rules.”

He's making the point there is room for everyone.  Don't know if true as didn't understand Prof. Wizard's formulae. My guess is purely they are pissed off that he's owning the sky and they are not.

18 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Cannot get through Financial Times paywall to see what he actually said but Telegraph reports it like this:

He's making the point there is room for everyone.  Don't know if true as didn't understand Prof. Wizard's formulae. My guess is purely they are pissed off that he's owning the sky and they are not.

That is quite possibly the motivation. And if Elon is 100% certain the Prof's model is wrong or doesn't apply then fair play. My guess: this is Same Old Elon, in spades.

Musk's greatest chance is the stupidity of his opponents. E.g. the Chinese gov complaining about pollution of space: FFS they deliberately blew up a satellite, scattering debris in every direction - then they complain about Starlink, whose satellites fly in predictable trajectories. Idiots.

Archived