• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Am I England's last remaining prude?

I have been out for a meal a couple of times this year, first was a lovely summer day to a local gastropub garden for the in-laws wedding anniversary. The blokes on the next table were effing away. I had a word and to be fair they apologised and then moved tables.

Went out tonight with the kids to a family pub for dinner. Again, the nearby table was littered with the 'f' word. Didn't intervene as there were 10 of them and my wife hates it when I get involved. 

Also, we live next door to a playing field. Thursday night is football practice. I always shut the windows because the language is pretty toxic, despite there being loads of kids around.

Am I just out of touch?

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have been out for a meal a couple of times this year, first was a lovely summer day to a local gastropub garden for the in-laws wedding anniversary. The blokes on the next table were effing away. I had a word and to be fair they apologised and then moved tables.

Went out tonight with the kids to a family pub for dinner. Again, the nearby table was littered with the 'f' word. Didn't intervene as there were 10 of them and my wife hates it when I get involved. 

Also, we live next door to a playing field. Thursday night is football practice. I always shut the windows because the language is pretty toxic, despite there being loads of kids around.

Am I just out of touch?

Yes you are, but I still agree with you.

I find myself doing it as well. I'd like to blame XYY but it dates from before I ever read his profanisaurus-inspired offerings....

I have noticed a lot of advertising in the last year with wordplays on 'fuck' or 'fucking'. I'm no prude but I find it very distateful, not just for the vulgarity but also for the presumption of rebelliousness implied in its use. It isn't.

Edited by Panther

I HATE those idiots who walk around in French Connection tops.  It is absolutely pathetic.

Move from Essex-near-to-London to rural Hampshire. Sorted. Almost everyone is extraordinarily polite and nice. In some ways it's like going back 30 years, in a good way.

Yes upsets me to. Recently was waiting in an airport with my wife in a coffee shop and there was a couple of blokes talking in very explicit terms about what they had done with various prostitutes they had been with. Had to move tables.

The odd swear word when kids aren't around is fine, but there seems to be a lot of 30+ blokes who still snigger every time they hear one, as though it's a fresh gag in its own right. 

7 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Am I just out of touch?

Haven't been out to a pub for a meal for 3 years. We used to go about once a month for the 5 years before that and once a week before (in the winter).

If I go out for a country walk or to the coast for a swim (one or other almost daily) I get disgruntlled if I meet anyone else, especially someone I know who I don't want to see, such as ex-work colleagues.

I almost never go shopping in town/city, the last time was January.

All that because I find engaging with society just winds me up (peoiple's selfishness and ignorance), and the fact that as soon as you stick your nose outside the door it is a war on your wallet..

I have a handful of people who I'm happy to see and that is about it. We now keep very much to ourselves. We're as happy as possible in a miserable society.

I use the words fuck and cunt a lot (a few years ago I wouldn't have done so), but I wouldn't swear in a public place where people other than the intended recipient could overhear.

Edited by Hopeful

I've no problem with the odd usage but I do find the men (and it usually is men) who do it repeatedly also sound thick as two short planks (not through the usage itself, but their voices) so it probably is what I was told when younger: the result of a severely limited vocabulary.

And 100% with @Miss S on the FCUK tops; it's the sort of thing you find funny when you're twelve, "Tee hee, it looks like it says 'FUCK'. "

Hilarious.

31 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't think I've ever sworn in public. It makes me cringe when every other word is a swear word.

You would not like Cockney-Land. Every other word is fuck, and all yer best mates are cunts. A far cry from Eliza Dolittle

9 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Am I just out of touch?

I find people who complain about swearing in pubs and at football matches almost as distasteful as people who swear  at children's playgrounds or in shopping centres.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I find people who complain about swearing in pubs and at football matches almost as distasteful as people who swear  at children's playgrounds or in shopping centres.

Pub is fine. This is really a restaurant. Average age about 60 with plenty of grandkids in tow. The old couple on the next table were looking very uncomfortable.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Pub is fine. This is really a restaurant. Average age about 60 with plenty of grandkids in tow. The old couple on the next table were looking very uncomfortable.

Probably they were leaking shit into the incontinence pants.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Context is everything.

I did say family pub. There is another round here that is a 'workers' pub and I would expect it there. However, last time I went there with family, last summer, the guys nearby knew they were a bit potty mouth, apologised and moved to the other side of the garden. Better class of people in the downmarket boozer!

I've probably sworn more on here that in real life. I generally only swear when angry about something or really exited although the air can turn a bit blue if a thumb detector properly finds its mark or a circular saw bounces towards my happy sack.

41 minutes ago, MrPin said:

You would not like Cockney-Land. Every other word is fuck, and all yer best mates are cunts. A far cry from Eliza Dolittle

Half of my extended family are Cockney and therefore are guttermouths. o.O

23 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I did say family pub. There is another round here that is a 'workers' pub and I would expect it there. However, last time I went there with family, last summer, the guys nearby knew they were a bit potty mouth, apologised and moved to the other side of the garden. Better class of people in the downmarket boozer!

I think you have summarised it here. A lot of working class sorts grew up speaking like this, and accept that it's a bad habit, but everyone else wants to be vulgar nowadays.

40 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Fucking Hell! Have a thought for us Tourette's sufferers!

Dog wanker! Suck a black mans cock!

If you have a few minutes spare, this guy is a new level of.. depravity?

"I want to do you from behind, have your baby and call it John"

He is aware that people are laughing at his condition rather than him, so it's fine. He has done loads of videos.

Swearing is a separate issue for me to what I would call "inappropriate broadcasting". Like being in the car with my then 8 year old daughter and BBC Radio 1 news deciding that this was the most pressing issue of the day, at 8.30am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38207594

Women and men who regularly trim or remove all their pubic hair run a greater risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) than those who do not, research suggests.

Doctors say small tears in the skin from shaving or trimming could make it easier for infections to take hold.

But they also say groomers - particularly extreme ones - tend to be more sexually active too.

Still, at least they didn't swear during the piece. More tea, vicar?