DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Paraffinic diesel cars (already here)

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

This is the first time I've come across this.

There has been this idea about using vegetable oils in your old diesel which I've resisted as mine is 2009 and it seems a good way t break it.  Plus Lidl's cheapeast vegetable oils are £1.25 a litre so there isn't much saving anyway.

VW is already producing and selling cars with a diesel engine that runs on almost anything.

I likes this.  I likes it a lot.

All Volkswagen models with 4-cylinder diesel engines (TDI) delivered since the end of June this year (CW 25/21) have been approved for operation with paraffinic diesel fuels in accordance with European standard EN 15940.

There is a wide range of different paraffinic fuels with some produced from biological residual and waste materials such as HVO (hydrotreated vegetable oil).

These vegetable oils are converted into hydrocarbons by a reaction with hydrogen and can be added to the diesel fuel in any quantities.

Vegetable oils such as rapeseed oil can also be used for production of HVO, but the maximum environmental benefit is obtained only through use of biological residual and waste materials such as used cooking oil and sawdust :o, says Volkswagen.

Biofuels such as HVO are already available on the market, and it is likely that their share could increase to 20 to 30 percent in the energy market for road transport in Europe within the next ten years.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2021/12/14/volkswagen-approves-paraffinic-fuels-for-latest-diesel-engines

• Informative 9

On 05/01/2022 at 18:56, Frank Hovis said:

This is the first time I've come across this.

There has been this idea about using vegetable oils in your old diesel which I've resisted as mine is 2009 and it seems a good way t break it.  Plus Lidl's cheapeast vegetable oils are £1.25 a litre so there isn't much saving anyway.

VW is already producing and selling cars with a diesel engine that runs on almost anything.

I likes this.  I likes it a lot.

All Volkswagen models with 4-cylinder diesel engines (TDI) delivered since the end of June this year (CW 25/21) have been approved for operation with paraffinic diesel fuels in accordance with European standard EN 15940.

There is a wide range of different paraffinic fuels with some produced from biological residual and waste materials such as HVO (hydrotreated vegetable oil).

These vegetable oils are converted into hydrocarbons by a reaction with hydrogen and can be added to the diesel fuel in any quantities.

Vegetable oils such as rapeseed oil can also be used for production of HVO, but the maximum environmental benefit is obtained only through use of biological residual and waste materials such as used cooking oil and sawdust :o, says Volkswagen.

Biofuels such as HVO are already available on the market, and it is likely that their share could increase to 20 to 30 percent in the energy market for road transport in Europe within the next ten years.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2021/12/14/volkswagen-approves-paraffinic-fuels-for-latest-diesel-engines

Really good news if it can take straight vegetable oil. The prices of old diesels that can run on SVO have gone through the roof. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Dave Beans

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10123087/Toby-Walne-road-tests-humble-biofuel-used-chip-fat-oil.html

It may be worthwhile on older cars, if you can get a ready supply...

Another drawback is that vegetable oil is thicker than diesel, so it puts more of a strain on a fuel pump and can clog up fuel injectors. It might be worth installing a dual tank system instead – allowing diesel to start the engine before switching to biofuel. 

Diesel and biofuels can be mixed in a cocktail of 20 per cent diesel and 80 per cent biofuel, making it less likely that you will struggle when starting a vehicle. Biofuel conversion kits can cost £1,000.

Edited by Dave Beans

I wonder if this is like approved 20,000 mile service intervals, approved for as long as it takes for the warranty to run out

The Bear of Doom

I've heard of people running diesel engines on "waste" jet fuel (kerosene), after all, it is similar to diesel and paraffin. Apparently it has to be blended with diesel as it doesn't have the same lubrication properties on its own, and damage to the injection pumps would result if not blended.

Frank Hovis
On 07/01/2022 at 19:04, Albo said:

Really good news if it can take straight vegetable oil. The prices of old diesels that can run on SVO have gone through the roof. 

I don't think that it's being proferred as "run on anything" technology that would have been useful on the Eastern Front.

Whilst anything can go for processing into the fuel it isn't saying that you can substitute these others for the fuel itself.

I like it because I would say that it's opening the door for diesel cars to continue being made as long as they are running on this fuel which is bio diesel: no fossil fuels involved.

Meaning that I can continue to buy new diesel cars beyond 2030 when everyone else is forming a massive queue at the charging points.

• Agree 1

King Penda
On 07/01/2022 at 19:04, Albo said:

Used to put anything in my old pug 1999 ish 306 red derv was the best at 50p ish a litre from farmer friends This would be about 2010 one farmer had tens of thousands in stock has he had basicly retired and rented his fields out

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Penda said:

Used to put anything in my old pug 1999 ish 306 red derv was the best at 50p ish a litre from farmer friends This would be about 2010 one farmer had tens of thousands in stock has he had basicly retired and rented his fields out

Naughty naughty, very naughty 

King Penda
1 hour ago, Loki said:

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I’d also buy it 5 gallons at a time from 3 different petrol stations around cheadle though I suspect that’s harder to do now.I used to use loads of derv working quite often 6 days a week in community care

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Caravan Monster
On 09/01/2022 at 11:20, The Bear of Doom said:

I've heard of people running diesel engines on "waste" jet fuel (kerosene), after all, it is similar to diesel and paraffin. Apparently it has to be blended with diesel as it doesn't have the same lubrication properties on its own, and damage to the injection pumps would result if not blended.

Can't remember the exact details, but there was a 'thing' for putting a litre of two stroke oil / tank in diesels a few years back to clean and lube the injector pump and injectors. Suspect it was when heating oil was the 'in' alternative fuel. I'm not that old and can remember when there was a red diesel pump at the local BP and no one cared if you filled up the family car with it xD Grandfather used to relate how an Austin Seven or something could be made to run on tractor paraffin during rationing once sufficiently warmed up on petrol. The smoke was probably something of a giveaway xD

• Lol 1