• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Consumer tat that's actually really good

We all know that most stuff in the shops isn't really that good and your life would be better without it.

However very rarely you come across something that you've never heard of that's actually really good...

I got a water pick a few months ago. You connect it to the tap and you can floss your teeth. I've used it a few weeks and my mouth/ teeth seem a lot fresher. It's a lot better than dental floss. You can also use it to clean things - I can clean things for my aquarium.

Is there anything you can recomend?

image.jpg

20 hours ago, eight said:

These things - provided you have a need for them in the first place, obviously.

I had a regular need for a tool to do that and with nothing in the UK I did  luckily stumble across these in the States a few years back:

They're out of prodcution, I think now, and going for about £150 on ebay but I bought mine from Sears for about the equivalent of £50 with charger and battery so as I hadn't seen anything like it, and it was likely a DIY rather than a trade quality tool, so I bought half a dozen and haven't been too bad, so far - I'm only on the second. Advantages over the one in your link are it tightens and has a lot of power to more than just run the nuts up the stud. It can also be used as a low profile power ratchet tool and with a separate Craftsman Max Axess socket set can do the whole range of nut sizes.

Used it in anger just now changing a brake disc and a deep socket is no good.

59d32ec852cc7_BrakeDisc.thumb.jpg.56366f2418bd97676388fb0c88d15816.jpg

Edited by SNACR

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

Dog collars with LEDs. I love seeing people walk their dogs at night. They should do for children too.

I do keep getting the urge to start a charity that gives bike lights to children. 

Edited by sarahbell

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

I do keep getting the urge to start a charity that gives bike likes to children. 

Interesting. I keep having dreams where, each spring, I hand out a load of bike helmets to kids AND ensure that they know how to wear them properly.

B&M selling red led flashing armbands for a £1.00.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/red-led-cycling-armband-1-ideal-for-back-of-bike-helmets-kids-arms-bags-or-pet-collars-bm-home-stores-2800697

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So how does that work then - do you stand on the pavement shouting "Nice bike!"? Or is it some social media thing?

lights! Lights!
Although shouting "crap bike" at some of them before driving off very fast would be amusing. :)

Talking about lights, Tritium lights are good.

They are vials of radioactive tritium gas. The alpha radiation triggers a special coating on the inside of the vial. They last for years and are good for key rings and stuff :)

image.jpg

Just put this stuff on one of my single glazed windows. It seems good, you heat the film up and it shrinks to give double glazing for about £2 a window.... 

It could be suitable for people staying in listed buildings or people that don't think £10k for double glazing is worth it.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Just put this stuff on one of my single glazed windows. It seems good, you heat the film up and it shrinks to give double glazing for about £2 a window.... 

It could be suitable for people staying in listed buildings or people that don't think £10k for double glazing is worth it.

I was going to use it in a flat I rented in London but the window frames wouldn't really accommodate it. So I bought a dehumidifier instead. Much more expensive solution.