• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

And a bonus!

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/executive-pay
Senior salaries at Westminster City Council (CSV, 20KB)

tucked away at the bottom is the CEO
The Chief Executive is paid a spot salary of £207,474 per annum (as at 1st April 2017). In addition, up to18% of salary may be awarded as a bonus. This is dependent performance. The Chief Executive was awarded a payment of £32,867 in May 2017 for the period 1 April 2016 – 31st March 2017. 

The former one worked at Oldham before going to Wesminster and has since moved to Jersey
http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2017-07-21/new-chief-executive-appointed-to-jersey-states/

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I struggle to get angry over council chief salaries. If the guy was in the private sector managing 000s of staff he'd be paid much more.

Really?

What private sector?

I think there's an issue with council's like Oldham having over 70 people paid over 70k a year.
Why?
Does paying the guys at the top mean better services for those at the bottom? No.

Just now, sarahbell said:

Really?

What private sector?

I think there's an issue with council's like Oldham having over 70 people paid over 70k a year.
Why?
Does paying the guys at the top mean better services for those at the bottom? No.

A lot of it is "jobs for the boys", but yes generally speaking you do have to pay more for quality.

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

That's alright if it is quality that's being paid for, but usually it isn't, in private sector or otherwise.

I think this is what I take issue with the most. I wouldn't really begrudge someone on 250k a year with a load of people under them on 100k if the service that we received from them was top notch....In fact, fuck it, not even 'top notch' I'd settle for merely 'acceptable'.

Unfortunately what you usually tend to get with councils is not 'acceptable' or even 'ok'. 'Shithouse' would be a more appropriate description  'clusterfuck', another. 

250k is acceptable for someone doing a good job however most councils that I've had the joy of dealing with are comically badly managed and in many cases, as bent as a nine pound note so quarter of a million is a bit of a piss-take. Sticking a guaranteed bonus on that for crap work is just...well...crap.

5 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I struggle to get angry over council chief salaries. If the guy was in the private sector managing 000s of staff he'd be paid much more.

I hear that all the time about public sector.  Frankly, I don't believe it,

[and private sector CEOs tend to be paid less (in general) than people think.  The big salaries are multinationals and financials]

MrsLTS is an MD in the private sector for a company with a £300million turnover and 175 full-time staff. Her salary is half what this council chief takes home so I doubt very much he'd get anything comparable or more to what he is earning milking from the tax payer. 

Westminster Council may employ 4,800 people but lots of them are flexible their words. Take for example schools, 50 in their boundary, probably all have a cook and a server upper plus a playground assistant, two cleaners and two people on lollipop duties. That's >7% of his staffing numbers already and they will work on average <16hours per week (most entitled to tax credits - probably). It'd be interesting to see a break down of the numbers but they are not proper employees in the sense of a CEO on £300,000 per annum (pension entitlement will be a benefit worth 25-30% of base salary).