DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Seeds on the cheap thread

spunko

I normally buy seeds for my veg but this year I want to try doing it from food I've bought in the supermarket. Despite all the warnings you read about how they won't "come true" etc, I suspect this is mostly bullshit.

For example, if i were to buy a bag of radishes, plant one or two, then wait for them to flower and collect the seeds, why wouldn't that work? Unless they are F1 / genetically engineered to not reproduce true, but this is often overstated IMO. Most "F1" hybrids have funny names and are trademarked, for example like Pink Lady(TM), which I suspect would not work.

Some ideas I've had at growing from seed are:

Sweetcorn (just plant a few kernels)

Potatoes - these don't need to be "sets" despite what some people claim, I think?

Onion - same as above

Spring onion

Anyone ever tried this?

sarahbell

I've grown a sprout from a sprout base plate. Probably got a photo somewhere. I kept it in a small pot in the greenhouse. 

D-t browns sent me a seed catalogue with a discount code D233XX I think. Not everything from their main catalogue but enough to keep me happy.
I was playing last night. Means 50p, 1.50 for beans and peas and £1 for anything else.
I am after some cucumber seeds and yellow courgettes. Which I think are best from seed. 

I did cover up my runner bean roots this year with a barrow full of muck to see if that'll mean they'll grow again. Suspect they need a frost free greenhouse really but we'll see. 

What lettuce do people grow?

belfastchild

Supermarket potatoes that sprouted - ended up with 2 whole raised beds of spuds from 8 wee spuds.

Fermented, dried supermarket cherry tomato seeds and they worked this year.

Planted the bases of spring onions, they grew, went to seed and ive replanted successfully.

Tried garlic to no avail but will try again this year as I have garlic sprouting in the fridge

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

sarahbell
16 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Tried garlic to no avail but will try again this year as I have garlic sprouting in the fridge

I put some in the ground when I put the onions out. It hasn't appeared yet. So I put some more in the greenhouse and that's shooting. It's in a tray so I will plant it out at some point.

• Informative 1

Bobthebuilder

Take some seeds out of a tomato, dry on paper towel and sow. Has worked for me many times in the past. Supermarket spuds work perfectly well also.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Agree 1

belfastchild
33 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Take some seeds out of a tomato, dry on paper towel and sow. Has worked for me many times in the past. Supermarket spuds work perfectly well also.

I put them in water for a week or so before drying. It breaks down the outer seed coating I think. Every seed worked.
Ive too many san marzano seeds but still took some of last years and did the above with them.

I even got potato seeds from a batch of supermarket potatoes I left. I read somewhere thats a whole new variety!

Year before last, everything got taken by blight although managed to get the spuds out and cook down for mash/champ and freeze before they all started rotting.

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Ive too many san marzano seeds but still took some of last years and did the above with them.

I think we spoke about San Marzano toms before. I bought some cheap San Marzano seeds from eBay this year, have to see how they turn out.

When do you sow? I normally start in mid February.

belfastchild
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I think we spoke about San Marzano toms before. I bought some cheap San Marzano seeds from eBay this year, have to see how they turn out.

When do you sow? I normally start in mid February.

I did it too late during the first lockdown, think it was early april. Last year I did it in Feb and put a few plants into the new conservatory Id built to see if any would take. They all did! It was like wild kingdom come mid April and they all got moved outside into a plastic greenhouse.
In retrospect Id keep one san marzano in the conservatory. They were torn apart by some sort of wee fly or grub or something, every one that got to any decent size ended up with a hole in it. I had a couple of plants outside but they didnt really reach full maturity by late september.

The wee cherry tom seed plants were the nicest Ive found outside of the likes of south america etc where you can just pick them yourself or get them delivered by the farms. I got a big crop due to the balls up above so ended up freezing a couple of 3l bags full so will use them in stews/soups etc.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, spunko said:

I normally buy seeds for my veg but this year I want to try doing it from food I've bought in the supermarket. Despite all the warnings you read about how they won't "come true" etc, I suspect this is mostly bullshit.

For example, if i were to buy a bag of radishes, plant one or two, then wait for them to flower and collect the seeds, why wouldn't that work? Unless they are F1 / genetically engineered to not reproduce true, but this is often overstated IMO. Most "F1" hybrids have funny names and are trademarked, for example like Pink Lady(TM), which I suspect would not work.

Potatoes - these don't need to be "sets" despite what some people claim, I think?

Onion - same as above

Spring onion

Anyone ever tried this?

Had a potato patch this year despite not planting a single one - they all came free with the compost! Weirdly a lot of the potatoes had a void in the middle, which had its own skin. They also had mottled pink skin - I forget which verity we decided they most resembled. We still ate them and didn't die...

Pak Choi I grew from collected seeds were nothing like the previous year. Bolted to seed early and far less leaf growth.

• Cheers 1

Bought 4 bags of potatoes before Christmas when they were 19p each for this purpose.

There's a tomato plant in one of the borders that tries to grow every year but we're a bit far north for it to succeed outdoors. I suspect it came from a dropped sandwich many years back.

6 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I've grown a sprout from a sprout base plate. Probably got a photo somewhere. I kept it in a small pot in the greenhouse. 

D-t browns sent me a seed catalogue with a discount code D233XX I think. Not everything from their main catalogue but enough to keep me happy.
I was playing last night. Means 50p, 1.50 for beans and peas and £1 for anything else.
I am after some cucumber seeds and yellow courgettes. Which I think are best from seed. 

I did cover up my runner bean roots this year with a barrow full of muck to see if that'll mean they'll grow again. Suspect they need a frost free greenhouse really but we'll see. 

What lettuce do people grow?

Do you mean you just cut off all but the bottom of an uncooked sprout and planted it straight away?

With a crooked smile
4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Edited 4 hours ago by Bobthebuilder

My grandfather did this 

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

My grandfather did this 

It was an old boy who showed me as well. He took a few seeds from his cheese and tomato sandwich in his lunch box and put them on a bit of tissue. Handed them to me and said, "let them dry for a week than stick em in pots". Very old trick I expect.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Spiney Norman
7 hours ago, spunko said:

I normally buy seeds for my veg but this year I want to try doing it from food I've bought in the supermarket

I have done just that.

Planted seeds from tomatoes "picolo" type and thay grew great. Also those big long red peppers that are twice the price of bell peppers and they grew vey wll indead, we had loads of 'em.

Spiney.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, spunko said:

Onion - same as above

Spring onion

Anyone ever tried this?

II have grown supermarket potatoes without any problem other than the variety not being shown.  Mostly I just save the spuds that have turned green and replant them next year. Once again, no problems.

The nurseries and seed suppliers have to earn a living so, as you suggest, tend to indulge in a little harmless bullshit. But to quote the late, great Lawrence D Hills, nature does not live on a knife edge. Clear the weeds, plant the seeds, fill a bucket with water, piddle in the bucket, pour the contents of the bucket on the seed row and if God is in a good mood, you should get a result.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, spunko said:

After two or three seasons most F1 hybrids will breed true and it is fun to try. The only problem is that, fun or not, it is an awful lot of arsing around for a few quids worth of seed.

• Agree 1

sarahbell
13 hours ago, spunko said:

Do you mean you just cut off all but the bottom of an uncooked sprout and planted it straight away?

I kept it on the window sill in a tray of water until it grew roots. 

• Informative 1

reformed nice guy

Iv done potatoes, onions, spring onions and tomatoes. Most work out pretty well and Im not particularly fussy.

I use realseeds.co.uk and they include instructions on how to harvest the seeds from your plants, they even encourage it. All their seeds are non hybrid.

They are a small family run business in Wales I think

• Informative 1

Well.  Guess who got a heated propagator for Christmas.

Guess who is going into the kitchen to furtle the seeds out of the lonely tomato which is suicidal.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
9 minutes ago, jamanda said:

Well.  Guess who got a heated propagator for Christmas.

Guess who is going into the kitchen to furtle the seeds out of the lonely tomato which is suicidal.

Make sure you dry them on tissue paper for a few days until they are completely dry, if you plant them straight out of the tomato they will just rot.

• Agree 1

I've got to time it better this year.  The greenhouse was too cold when the seedlings were outgrowing the windowsills.

• Cheers 1

reformed nice guy
27 minutes ago, jamanda said:

I've got to time it better this year.  The greenhouse was too cold when the seedlings were outgrowing the windowsills.

When they get to that size you can put them in a small pot then put a 2l plastic bottle over them with the bottom cut off for another few weeks

• Cheers 1

Spiney Norman
3 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Make sure you dry them on tissue paper for a few days until they are completely dry, if you plant them straight out of the tomato they will just rot.

The seeds straight out of the Tomato has a coating on it, to protect the seed if the fruit is eaten. This coating needs to be removed prior to planting.

To remove this coating place your seeds in a small amount of water 10 -20ml and leave for a few days, a mold will form on the surface of the water this is whan you need to dry your seeds out before planting. The process is known as fermenting and will result in very high germination rates.

Spiney.

• Informative 4