DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Electric hair clippers need screw adjusting every time I use; are they worn out?

Cat JonJon

Question

Cat JonJon

I have a set of electric clippers (WAHL Homecut Corded Hair Clipper). Been using them to shave my head approximately once every 4 weeks for about 2 to 3 years. They have a screw that can be turned to adjust the blades. What I've been finding over the past few months is that every time I start to cut my hair they don't cut very well at first so I turn the screw. They then make a loud buzzing sound (louder than under normal use and quite annoying) but they cut better. I then turn the screw back again to reduce the noise but then they might not cut as well. I then keep turning the screw back and forth, trying out different positions until eventually I seem to get them to a happy medium state where they cut reasonably well without making the annoying loud buzzing sound. The strange thing is; the screw ultimately seems to be in more or less the same postion as when I first tried to use them and they didn't cut very well, and yet now they do cut well, at least until the next time....

I wonder if they are worn out. I've only had them a few years but they were quite cheap when I bought them. I think I paid about ten quid for them (new). I have been oiling the blades (with shredder oil) each time I use them but other than that I've not done any maintenance on them.

6 answers to this question

AlfredTheLittle

I find clippers don't last very long these days. 30 years ago when I had hair, my clippers seemed to last forever, in fact I tended to buy a new set while the old one still worked. Now I have no hair, so they hardly have any work to do at all, I find they only last a couple of years.

Yours do sound worn out, time to get a new set. Once they're gone there's nothing much you can do that will get them working well again.

• Agree 1

One percent

Where is the screw you are turning?  Clippers normally have two screws holding the blades together and a lever fot altering blade length.  Do you oil them?  

Chewing Grass

Clean them out, I do it the lazy way with GT85 and a plastic takeaway tray. They will be full of fine hair choppings so run them whilst spraying them with a very light oil (not wd40) or brake cleaner. Once all the crap is out, re-lube them and tighten the two screws. The blades need to be close together to chop hair.

Slackening them off was reducing the friction (from muck) so they speeded up but stopped the cutting action.

Cat JonJon

Thanks for the replies. The screw I referred to is the "power/voltage screw" I think. It's a big plastic screw on the side of the handle/body of the clipper.

There are also two smaller metal screws on the underside of the blades, but I've not messed with them. I have been oiling the blades, but maybe I need to loosen those two metal screws, clear out any hairs/dirt that is between the blades and then tighten the two metal screws.

I wonder if the blades might have become blunt from use. Then again, they seem to still cut ok once I've messed about with the power/voltage screw enough.

Joncrete Cungle

I take mine apart and clear out all the bits of hair trapped inside, quick oil, reassemble and they work better again. Might need sharpening?

Cat JonJon

I looked into the cost of getting the blades sharpened but it wasn't much cheaper than buying a new clipper if I bought one similar to the one I already have. I chose corded because I thought it would last longer (no battery to wear out). Also, I thought it might be more powerful than one that runs on a battery.

There were plenty of models that were more expensive than the one I bought, but I didn't see the point in spending more. Mine has worked quite well so far, apart from this recent annoyance with the buzzing sound and screw adjustment.

Come to think of it; I think the blades are meant to be self-sharpening.