• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Bible on tram

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41466140

It happened outside Wimbledon station in south-west London at 08:30 BST as a man apparently began reading lines aloud from the Bible.

Commuters became scared when the man began quoting phrases such as, "death is not the end", a passenger said.

Rail power lines were cut as passengers "self-evacuated", police said.

Trains through the area were expected to remain disrupted until 17:00 BST.

Back in the 1950s, in Swansea there was a guy who every Saturday walked the High Street with a large banner reading 'Repent Now' or such like.

Also, on the hottest of summer days he would walk along the sand at Langland Bay in front of all the people sitting there carrying his banner.

Each to his own I suppose.

I haven't seen any street preachers for some time but they used to be quite common.

Edited by Byron

1 hour ago, Byron said:

Back in the 1950s, in Swansea there was a guy who every Saturday walked the High Street with a large banner reading 'Repent Now' or such like.

Also, on the hottest of summer days he would walk along the sand at Langland Bay in front of all the people sitting there carrying his banner.

I haven't seen any street preachers for some time but they used to be quite common.

You get some in Cardiff city centre still.

Though these days they're as likely to be preaching the Koran as the Gospel.

They always seem very lackluster. 

We still get the white shirted preachers at the end of Soi Cowboy and in the entrance to Nana Plaza reading out passages that they hope will cause customers to abandon their drink and their belle de jour and for the bargirls to repent.

I only hope after the many decades of them imploring this, is that they are not taking heart from nubile, skimpily-clad tarts heading away from the bars with older, drunken men, as, rather than abandoning the Sodom and Gomorrah scene, they are generally heading to hotel rooms, where the kind of salvation the preachers have in mind, is not available.

17 hours ago, Byron said:

Belfast city centre has them