• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The confidence gap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-41444682

Columbia Business School in New York calls it "honest over-confidence" - that easy tendency men have to believe they are more able than they actually are.

In fact, says Columbia, men tend to overestimate their abilities by something like 30%. And it's not that they're faking this confidence, they genuinely believe it. 

We women, on the other hand, tend routinely to underestimate our abilities. Our perception of our talent skews lower than our actual worth.

This is what we've dubbed the confidence gap and over the course of a career it can lead to fewer promotions, limited opportunities and less pay.

i can relate to this.  Behind every successful man is a suprised woman and all that. 

Hmmm...

I just see another poorly disguised attack on men. Probably has a sub-clause in there, in tiny print, saying that they are only referring to white men.

Sorry, but I am fed up with this guff.

If you follow the theory through then presumably it was a male who first climbed down from a tree... a male that killed the first sabre-tooth tiger or hyena... If the females had their way we would all still be up in the tree. Maybe this report is merely women subconciously admitting their inferiority?

Not too bad... climbing down from a tree and before we knew it we were walking on the Moon.

In anything directly measurable men beat women significantly be it physical or not physical. Sports, motor racing, chess, snooker whatever.

It's likely that the same increased performance carries over into the working environment, so the pay gap is fully expected.

Of course women always being victims means it must be some sort of conspiracy, rather than just businesses paying people what they think they are worth. 

Also this idea that women have better communications and people skills in the workplace is also complete and utter shite, if anything women keep up with men better in technical skills than soft skills.

I think I've touched a nerve here. xD

speaking from the dark side, I do see this in the workplace. I've often been told that I "don't sell myself". I see it as not being a bull shitter. A lot of the blokes, not all but a lot, do bull shit their way through. When they have to actually deliver anything tangible they are at a complete loss.

the women who get on appear to have to out macho the blokes.  

There are more stupid men than stupid women, so the Dunning-Kruger effect will likely mean a bunch of those stupid men think too much of themselves.

But there are also more very smart men, than very smart women. So some of the averagely intelligent to smart women are correct to lack confidence. They're competing with people who are better than them.

xD

Edited by SpectrumFX

I would say a lack of natural aptitude to problem solving, improvisation and seeing the bigger picture are probably what I see as the main things holding women back work wise.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I would say a lack of natural aptitude to problem solving, improvisation and seeing the bigger picture are probably what I see as the main things holding women back work wise.

It doesn't seem to hold me back on this forum. :) 

Worth remembering that impostor syndrome is relatively common, and is fairly well associated with males.

I also seem to recall something along the lines that lots of ballsy males are overcompensating for an impostor syndrome.

Maybe blokes are expected to be more confident both by females and other males. Maybe this leads to them bullshitting more. It's  certainly not the done thing for a bloke to appear weak or discuss their lack of confidence with his mates. 

Also, I don't see a difference in confidence between young children (boys and girls).

Edited by BigV

1 minute ago, BigV said:

Maybe blokes are expected to be more confident both by females and other males. Maybe this leads to them bullshitting more. It's  certainly not the done thing for a bloke to appear weak or discuss their lack of confidence with his mates. 

Also, I don't see a difference in confidence between young children (boys and girls). Which maybe suggests societal influences

If there are differences, I would argue strongly that it is environmental. 

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Men are more willing to break rules and take risks. There are more male than female CEOs, inventors, thieves and murderers. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

If there are differences, I would argue strongly that it is environmental. 

It's both environmental and innate, the only argument is to which is the dominant factor for different traits. 

I keep telling my son their is nothing wrong with being a bit shy. I wish our society wouldn't keep ramming the opposite viewpoint down our throats

1 minute ago, One percent said:

In what way do you see itbas innate (biological?)

Something like aggression is highly influenced by physiology which is under genetic control. The environment makes a difference but we know from twin studies that innate differences are the major factor in how people turn out. 

58 minutes ago, One percent said:

We women, on the other hand, tend routinely to underestimate our abilities. Our perception of our talent skews lower than our actual worth.

Women are not stupid. I try to follow their example at work when the boss says "David, you are an expert on XYZ" - oh no not me, speak to my bullshitting colleague about that.

Boss finally asked why they employed me, as I don't seem to know anything about anything. Check out my CV, I said, it is a blank sheet of A4.

So a bunch of highly paid women - wonder how many have kids - are going to have a conference about how lack of confidence is holding women back?

Presumably they judge success by how much money you earn, how big your office and personal allowance is and how many people have to do what you say - what about pointless stuff about giving birth to, caring for and raising children.

When I worked in TV-land there were loads of women like this - the lowest ones were earning 2 or 3 times the average salary - and they would collectively have meetings where they would whinge about how hard life was for them because they were women being oppressed by men. Men were holding them back.

Truth, feckers had contempt for their own gender as much as they had for men.

Decades later and, whilst most of them are financially well off, nearly all are bitter, fecked up in the head, childless - tried the IVF route countless times, ridden the cock carousel till it broke down, etc - and still sprout the "Isn't Hillary Clinton the most wonderful human on the planet and I will shout at anyone who dares question her!" crap.

Most are still single. The ones who are not have feminised males as husbands.

I think the OP is correct but it's another aspect of risk taking that men are more inclined to do.

I've taken on big projects, confident that I can do them and not worrying about the aspects I've not covered because "How hard can it be?".

Women IME are much less likely to take such a punt so yes you can probably call it a confidence gap.

I just assume I can do anything I want to, but also used to assume that everyone thought like that; as I've got older I've found that not many do think like that, men or women.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think men just work harder and are less easily distracted.

Wel, I really don't agree. 

What was that you said?  

xD

seriously, men work harder?  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😳😳😂😂😂😂. Do me a favour.