• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of date Cultural References

I recently said to a youngster - aged 30, the phrase "...even Geoff Capes couldn’t lift that!" Youngster didn't have a clue. It was then that I realised that the phrase must be:

An 'out of date cultural reference'.

geoff-capes-010-300x180.jpg

I get these situations at work all the time.

I take my breaks with a group that includes veterans in their early-fifties such as myself - to the Engineering Students at the other end of the spectrum. A smattering of thirty-somethings complete this jolly gathering.

A couple of my colleagues chuckle away when I say stuff like "...Aye..? Sounds about as bright as getting your daughter swimming lessons off Len fuckin' Fairclough to me mate" when I hear about the student's latest first-world problem - and there's an uncomfortable silence when the 30-something cycling-freaks ask what's my favourite bike after discussing lots of titanium-framed items that cost more than my car, when I reply that it's a bright-red 1973 Mark 2 Raleigh Chopper.

I really am an old cunt, aren't I...

XYY

1 hour ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I recently said to a youngster - aged 30, the phrase "...even Geoff Capes couldn’t lift that!" Youngster didn't have a clue. It was then that I realised that the phrase must be:

geoff-capes-010-300x180.jpg

I have shared a few afternoons with Geoff Capes not so long ago. Lovely guy. He moved to the Algarve and bred budgies. I shit you not.

I recently said to a youngster - aged 35, the phrase "non-darts player to throw first". Youngster didn't have a clue. It was then that I realised that the phrase must be:

5 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I used to say "you want the moon on a stick" from Lee and Herring. Even people my own age look at me blankly and move on.

To be honest, I don't even know that one - and I'm over 50. 

20 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I recently said to a youngster - aged 35, the phrase "non-darts player to throw first". Youngster didn't have a clue. It was then that I realised that the phrase must be:

Did you give him his BFH?

5 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Did you give him his BFH?

Haha! If I would have said that, he would have been more confused!

Both, classic. I was only talking about bullseye today at work.

I'm guessing that the odd looks myself and the other old buggers get in the morning from the young un's means 'Good Moaning' is now out of date.

Got soaked in a downpour and said to a group of youngsters that I felt like 'Jacques Cousteau'. Blank looks.

12 minutes ago, One percent said:

That's making a comeback post brexit so it doesn't really count 

I'd check with the urban dictionary first to make sure you're both referring to the same thing.

The fitters from Leigh always used to refer to their nights out on the town and the ladies they met as 'she's a nice bit of flange'.

Being a first year apprentice I hadn't seen a 'flange' but managed to work it out by the second year after I was shown one in the boiler house.

51 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I used to say "you want the moon on a stick" from Lee and Herring. Even people my own age look at me blankly and move on.

A lot of it was hit and miss but oddly produced some of the most memorable comedy bits from the nineties like this