DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Noon deadline for project in West Cornwall

Frank Hovis

With a crooked smile

Mmm, are these guide prices a bit like the auction guide prices where I often feel they are used as click bait to drill up interest ie the property or land in this case goes for far beyond guide. 

1 minute ago, With a crooked smile said:

Mmm, are these guide prices a bit like the auction guide prices where I often feel they are used as click bait to drill up interest ie the property or land in this case goes for far beyond guide. 

It's gone now but it was best offer by then rather than by auction.

I'd say that was a realistic price as it's poor land with mine workings and to turn the engine house into a hone would cost a load.

17 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Probably go for 50k per acre. 

Who'd buy a mine, when all the mining rights are not even included in the sale price :wanker:

I don't know this precise mine but there are areas of Cornwall where the land has been poisoned by mining waste and a hundred years on plants still don't grow in the soil.

I've seen this in areas near the coast south of St Agnes and big blighted areas in the valley that runs down from Scorrier to Devoran (Mineral Tramway walk, Julia Bradbury did this walk but mostly skipped this grotty area).

It's also on granite so the ground will be wet where it isn't draining down a nearby open mineshaft that needs to be capped.

£150k sounds about right.

With a lot of work you could have a tall narrow cold house and run some sheep in the fields. Lovely.

51 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know this precise mine but there are areas of Cornwall where the land has been poisoned by mining waste and a hundred years on plants still don't grow in the soil.

I've seen this in areas near the coast south of St Agnes and big blighted areas in the valley that runs down from Scorrier to Devoran (Mineral Tramway walk, Julia Bradbury did this walk but mostly skipped this grotty area).

It's also on granite so the ground will be wet where it isn't draining down a nearby open mineshaft that needs to be capped.

£150k sounds about right.

With a lot of work you could have a tall narrow cold house and run some sheep in the fields. Lovely.

Might not be a bad plan with the way things look to be going. At least it’s isolated. 

Looks a bit wind swept,  not sure what it's like during a storm. I'm sure it'll be on Airbnb shortly :CryBaby:

Lack of planning consent, even outline, would concern me when it also says this: Interested parties must NOT view the property without authorisation, as there are safety concerns due to the number of open mine shafts on site and loose masonry on the engine house.

It's a £150k punt into the unknown plus consider that obtaining planning permission will probably be another 10k on top minimum and take a year or so. 

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Looks a bit wind swept,  not sure what it's like during a storm. I'm sure it'll be on Airbnb shortly :CryBaby:

Lack of planning consent, even outline, would concern me when it also says this: Interested parties must NOT view the property without authorisation, as there are safety concerns due to the number of open mine shafts on site and loose masonry on the engine house.

It's a £150k punt into the unknown plus consider that obtaining planning permission will probably be another 10k on top minimum and take a year or so. 

Expect Cornwall Cornwall to give planning permission on anything, they are desperate for the investment, otherwise its derelict, dangerous land. The owner obviously even now has a due dilligence to keep people who stray onto his land safe, so that would be expensive. I expect it will be converted into a nice rolling farm with a quaint old mining tower, and be snapped up by some londoner seeking a WFH refuge for 2.5mill. :Jumping:

Chewing Grass
11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

£150k for twenty acres and an engine house (used for mines).

People have converted these into houses before.

Not for me but it's cheap if you're brave.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/83289126#/?channel=COM_BUY

Been derelict for over 120 years, no open mineshafts showing (they generally do on the lidar as black) a very wet area just east of the engine house and I suspect there is one unmarked shaft 50m SSE of the structure. All the drier areas are brown on the aerial. I reckon that could easily hit £500K however there are no boundaries shown (for some reason) which may be because land parcels 111 and 122 to the NW adjacent to the road are not included as they are de-marked by a non-overgrown hedge and the land has been recently worked.

1380575159_Screenshotfrom2022-01-1420-59-05.thumb.jpg.9bc01814b73e0342c99b6ee20cf1d14b.jpg

Lidar produces good results.

1730761844_Screenshotfrom2022-01-1421-11-15.thumb.jpg.04bfcda079191149f856c3e00bf266f9.jpg

I looked at a habitable Grade2 place in Wales, even getting approval to replace the smashed panes of glass in the old (not original) windows was going to be a nightmare - that put me off any listed building in the future... 

9 minutes ago, Andersen said:

I looked at a habitable Grade2 place in Wales, even getting approval to replace the smashed panes of glass in the old (not original) windows was going to be a nightmare - that put me off any listed building in the future... 

Any part in the 'curtilage' of the building at the time it is listed becomes subject to the listing.

Which is how I ended up with a shitty 1960s listed pool house and two even crappier listed sheds.

22 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Any part in the 'curtilage' of the building at the time it is listed becomes subject to the listing.

Which is how I ended up with a shitty 1960s listed pool house and two even crappier listed sheds.

I visited a chap up in the Scottish borders who had converted an old Church/chapel into a family home, and used some surplus stone to build a side extension which matched the style of the original building.

It amused him when the authorities (local council?) declared the new extension was part of the original structure on the listed building forms... 

17 hours ago, Andersen said:

Why would anyone bother asking for listed building consent for something like that? If it isn't recorded anywhere and you don't like it, then take it out.

Never ask for permission unless you absolutely have to, because the answer will often be "no". If you just get on with it, even IF it does get noticed later, just say it must have been the previous vendors or you haven't a clue. I'd recommend FOI-ing your local council to find out how many enforcements they have done against listed buildings in the past 10 years - for most local authorities it will either be zero, or maybe 1 to 2. They make threats but never follow through.

Don't let it put you off buying one - they are worth it, IMO. Mainly just to have the additional protection from slaveboxes going up around you.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Why would anyone bother asking for listed building consent for something like that? If it isn't recorded anywhere and you don't like it, then take it out.

I thought that. I had the top flat in an old listed Mill Building, and decided to put in a mezzanine deck and velux window. 

I assumed nobody would notice. Until the day I had to go to the planning office for some other reason - where, across the whole back wall behind the front desk was an old black and white photo of my mill - sans roof window.

Oops.

Archived