DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cost of drive.

One percent

Question

One percent

Been quoted what i think is pretty expensive for a drive.  However, I’ve been trying to get it sorted for about 9 months and everyone is overloaded with work. This guy is a mate of a mate and his work is goo.  Quoted 8k for the following

two car drive and path along front of house

small dwarf retaining wall (way less than a foot high but to be done on proper foundations)

drainage strip things across front of drive, channelled back into manhole near bottom of drive

dropped kerb extended as per permission given by council

dig out, tarmac and resin.  

thoughts on price?  

18 answers to this question

Bobthebuilder
15 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes, skips and everything.  

Sounds cheap to me.

Make sure you get a printed/ emailed breakdown quote and offer payment in three parts, deposit, mid-job and completion. That way you are both happy as the job progresses.

Hope it turns out looking nice.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Been quoted what i think is pretty expensive for a drive.  However, I’ve been trying to get it sorted for about 9 months and everyone is overloaded with work. This guy is a mate of a mate and his work is goo.  Quoted 8k for the following

small dwarf retaining wall (way less than a foot high but to be done on proper foundations)

drainage strip things across front of drive, channelled back into manhole near bottom of drive

thoughts on price?  

Including materials and VAT?

One percent
Just now, SpectrumFX said:

A wall won't keep the dwarves out. They'll just tunnel under it.

Depends how deep you go i guess.  I’ve also planned a couple of gun nests for when it all goes mad max 

• Lol 1

5 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Sounds cheap to me.

Make sure you get a printed/ emailed breakdown quote and offer payment in three parts, deposit, mid-job and completion. That way you are both happy as the job progresses.

Hope it turns out looking nice.

Make sure the quote is detailed. You need to know what costs what, and what is not included.

• Agree 1

Bornagain
22 hours ago, One percent said:

thoughts on price?  

Roughly how many square meters ?

that would cost 500 quid in France......even less if you know a guy with a digger :D

that's for a stone drive mind you....who the fuck has a tarmac drive! they look shit.....with stones you can hear the baddies coming up the drive too

yeah ok I live in a different world now away from the mad consumers, enjoy! lol

PS I'd want a brick block paved drive for that money.......they look class if you have a decent house at the end of it :)

PPS with tarmac make sure your drainage is 100%.....and if they lay it badly you could end up with ugly puddles forming....see I told u it was crap xD

Edited by nirvana

23 hours ago, nirvana said:

PPS with tarmac make sure your drainage is 100%.....and if they lay it badly you could end up with ugly puddles forming....see I told u it was crap xD

Plus building regs/planning is relevant re. provision for surface drainage.

I did mine with stone chippings.  No drainage issue.  Looks nice.  Weeds have to be cleared (blowtorch or chemicals) as I read weed fabric is not that robust.  May need to be redone/topped up say after 10 years as it silts up a bit (surrounded by trees, etc).  But chippings are cheap and easy.

I enjoyed using that sit on roller machine you see at roadworks.  Getting a nice gradient took time though.

Edited by Harley
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Harley said:

as I read weed fabric is not that robust

builder I used some years ago said it's shite so better to use roofing felt....

I think concrete is a shit idea too, if you don't reinforce it, it'll crack and look even worse than tarmac

11 hours ago, Harley said:

Plus building regs/planning is relevant re. provision for surface drainage.

I did mine with stone chippings.  No drainage issue.  Looks nice.  Weeds have to be cleared (blowtorch or chemicals) as I read weed fabric is not that robust.  May need to be redone/topped up say after 10 years as it silts up a bit (surrounded by trees, etc).  But chippings are cheap and easy.

I enjoyed using that sit on roller machine you see at roadworks.  Getting a nice gradient took time though.

Heavy usage on a small area though it will compact a lot and the fines rise to the top, even after a coupe of years it can be a compacted pan. The interwoven and the even finer fabric type are a pain in you go to refinish the surface and mix in new chippings  as can easily get caught and rip up sections of it. If the above applies a good quality heavy duty dpm I've found is much better, the whole top crust easily breaks away from the surface and can be agitated much more easily without ripping or tearing it up, just need to perforate it for drainage.