DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Internet screen

Wight Flight

Question

Wight Flight

I am looking to get three or four screens to hang in the office to show my live website stats (and a fourth to show the local beach webcam as my view is shit).

They just need to have a built in web browser and nothing else, so I don't want pricey smart tv's.

Do such things exist?

24 answers to this question

Yep easy to do - the difficulty is finding a screen that can be suitably butchered and has an accessible usb port to deliver power to the raspberry pi.

After that you just put some 2 way mirror glass in the front.

It's probably complete overkill for what @Wight Flight wants - just find few cheap wall mountable screens with an hdml socket and usb and attach your raspberry pi to the back of them with strong velco

• Agree 1

Not sure if you can be arsed with the learning curve associated with Raspberry Pi. I certainly can't.

Why not just get 4 Hi-Sense LED monitors and an HDMI splitter. How many HDMI ports do you have?

Personally I'd get 2x of those curved widescreen monitors, they look rather cool.

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

You will pay more for a plain monitor, than a TV set, because they do not contain advertising, or data gathering tripe.

Cheap TV sets are only HD Ready so 1366 by 768 resolution rather than the 1920 by 1080 you really want for a dashboard.

I can buy a 27" monitor for £170 or a 32" for £230 - if you want a TV screen the cheapest option is almost the Frame. 

15 hours ago, spunko said:

Not sure if you can be arsed with the learning curve associated with Raspberry Pi. I certainly can't.

Why not just get 4 Hi-Sense LED monitors and an HDMI splitter. How many HDMI ports do you have?

Personally I'd get 2x of those curved widescreen monitors, they look rather cool.

Why do you think I suggest Dakboard - they have their own OS image for easy of install.

The instructions for setting it up on a Raspberry Pi can be found at Download and Install the DAKboard OS for Raspberry Pi : DAKboard Support (freshdesk.com)

Actually scrub that FullPageOS doesn't have a monthly fee so GitHub - guysoft/FullPageOS: A raspberrypi distro to display a full page browser on boot 

You would need to connect to the raspberry pi once and follow the very simple instructions. 

Edited by eek
  • Informative 1

17 hours ago, spunko said:

they're a doddle especially for a wizz like you! just write an image to an SD card....

tiny SBCs and things like ESP32 modules must be the future now shirley? you can scatter them around your property, harness power using your solar panels etc set traps for gypos and the like......control a water pump for your veges, the limits are endless!!!

I'm rebuilding my odroid cos I need an MQTT broker o.O

1 minute ago, nirvana said:

they're a doddle especially for a wizz like you! just write an image to an SD card....

tiny SBCs and things like ESP32 modules must be the future now shirley? you can scatter them around your property, harness power using your solar panels etc set traps for gypos and the like......control a water pump for your veges, the limits are endless!!!

I'm rebuilding my odroid cos I need an MQTT broker o.O

I was going to give Raspberry Pi a go, if I got a new TV, just to use Adblock and other privacy tools/blocks on my entire connection. But decided I don't need a new TV just yet.

The problem is I just tend to glaze over when it comes to Linux. Is there a simple kit you can buy without having to spend ages researching it all?

Edit: just noticed it's Debian. Not bad, I use that for my servers including this one.

yeah raspios is based on debian....just get a decent 5v power adaptor, u might have one lying around, I think you need 2amps (or 3 amps better) for a pi4 and they use a usb-c adaptor, pack of SD cards off amazon.......ssh and get stuck in lol

PS I use adblock too, it's amazing how those Samsung smart TVs like to 'chatter away' god knows wtf they do......

Edited by nirvana

On 20/01/2022 at 11:44, nirvana said:

yeah raspios is based on debian....just get a decent 5v power adaptor, u might have one lying around, I think you need 2amps (or 3 amps better) for a pi4 and they use a usb-c adaptor, pack of SD cards off amazon.......ssh and get stuck in lol

PS I use adblock too, it's amazing how those Samsung smart TVs like to 'chatter away' god knows wtf they do......

Going to give it a go. Does this look okay?

https://shop.sb-components.co.uk/products/raspberry-pi-zero-2-w-with-soldered-header

+ the case.

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-cases/products/official-raspberry-pi-zero-case

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

pi zero 2 w defo good kit there! sb-components.co.uk appear to be offline so not sure about them.....

problem is availability nowadays sadly.....I thought they made this stuff in Wales too, should get more sheep shaggers on the job xD

7 minutes ago, nirvana said:

pi zero 2 w defo good kit there! sb-components.co.uk appear to be offline so not sure about them.....

problem is availability nowadays sadly.....I thought they made this stuff in Wales too, should get more sheep shaggers on the job xD

I think they've blocked your French IP address as it works fine for me :D

• Cheers 1

The pi zero's only have 512mb of ram. That may or may not be a problem depending on the page you are displaying. 

Edit - should be fine to run adblock but it's wifi only which may not be what you want for adblocking software. 

Edited by eek

Android TV box is the obvious answer if you don't want to get into Raspberry Pi things. EXCEPT I have struggled to get a web browser to work on them. Loads of this and that movie TV apps but try installing a browser and they all say "incompatible with your device."

The XYY Man
On 18/01/2022 at 21:01, Wight Flight said:

I am looking to get three or four screens to hang in the office to show my live website stats (and a fourth to show the local beach webcam as my view is shit).

They just need to have a built in web browser and nothing else, so I don't want pricey smart tv's.

Do such things exist?

Why do you think smart TVs are expensive..?

They're practically giving the fuckers away...

XYY

The XYY Man
8 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Ooh. Technical question.

I guess about 36" minimum

Well you won't get a smart TV or PC monitor at that size at that price.

Plenty to choose from if you're happy with a 32" though...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
  • Agree 1