• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The French get a bad rep, rubbish cars, rubbish airlines and particular ire is reserved for the music. So I thought I'd post some of the definitive songs from the 30s to the naughties. First a quick tour from 1938 to 1958

First up, Paedophile crooner Charles Trennet with Boom from the film "La route enchantée" 1938

From 1946, Piaf with the Trois Cloches, telling the story of little Jimmy Brown/ Jean-François Nicot from the cradle to the grave in his mountain village

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_trois_cloches

Gainsbourg, hard to believe he was active in the 1950s.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Poinçonneur_des_Lilas

A song about a ticket controller at the Lilas metro station doesn't seem like the ideal subject for this breakthrough track for Gainsbourg but it has been covered a number of times.

Davidg seems to be on holiday :) so I'll add a few tracks to follow on from his post.

The 1960s:

First, a tune everyone will have heard... but not many know that the English-language version was actually a remake of this:

Serge Gainsbourg (already mentioned by davidg) had a career spanning several decades; he is known in the UK for this track:

Gainsbourg courted scandal throughout his career, with sexually explicit lyrics, direct attacks on the military, etc... but he also wrote more tender stuff. Here is an example from the 60s:

3 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I bought the single back in 1997, and then the album. Very good! B|

And this one from the year of my birth...

I frigging love that track. It spawned a lifetime love of synth based music in me. I'm 10 years old that you by the way. About the same time that Donna Summer's I feel love came out, if my non-Wikipedia-assisted memory serves.

Edited by blobloblob
Auto correct thought her name was Dogma Summer

On 05/04/2017 at 15:17, davidg said:

First up, Paedophile crooner Charles Trennet with Boom from the film "La route enchantée" 1938

Really? That's news to me, got a link? (I had a quick search but couldn't find anything).

Deep Lurker nailed it with Je T'aime..I was going to post it as the prototypical Frenchie. This is from the golden age in the 70s and is also of the type...

La Mer a well known one from an earlier era...

Edited by crashmonitor

5 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

First Luxembourg Euro winner I remember was Ann Marie David in 73, Gallic women with their beautiful accents always seemed more exotic thereafter.

Your 67 entry is even better btw...I've added to my youtube list.

Edited by crashmonitor