• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Pub recommendation request

A thread that may be help when we need to go somewhere new

I need to travel from Loughborough back home to Surrey on Saturday. Looking for a nice country pub to stop off for lunch about 1 hour or so south of Loughborough but not too far of a detour off the M1

Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I need to travel from Loughborough back home to Surrey on Saturday. Looking for a nice country pub to stop off for lunch about 1 hour or so south of Loughborough but not too far of a detour off the M1

Any suggestions?

Why not stop at a pub and go in and have a beer and a pie?

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why not stop at a pub and go in and have a beer and a pie?

There are pubs and pubs, a local's recommendation is always the best.

I am not only too far south but too far west to know such an area; maybe the Scots can help?

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I am not only too far south but too far west to know such an area; maybe the Scots can help?

I will not be allowing my wife to navigate so hopefully have no need of CC's recommendations.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

There are plenty of pubs between Loogabarooga and Surrey.

If this were me I'd just go on TripAdvisor, look for one that YOU like the look of, and tell her it was recommended to you by {someone you vageuly know}. Otherwise we'd end up at either McDonalds (when we can't find anywhere else) or some dive.

The Wharf at Bugbrooke is about an hour from Loughborough and just off the M1. Nothing fantastic but clean and easy to find, food is middle of the road pub style.

I’ve only visited once and as the weather was good we sat outside and watched the boats go past on the canal….if the weather is bad you could watch from inside and just be glad you’re not out there!

Same distance from Loughborough give or take a few minutes but other side of the M1 is The Cromwell Cottage at Kislingbury. Smarter, better food and more expensive but OK the couple of times I’ve stopped there. 

42 minutes ago, Duck said:

The Wharf at Bugbrooke is about an hour from Loughborough and just off the M1. Nothing fantastic but clean and easy to find, food is middle of the road pub style.

I’ve only visited once and as the weather was good we sat outside and watched the boats go past on the canal….if the weather is bad you could watch from inside and just be glad you’re not out there!

Same distance from Loughborough give or take a few minutes but other side of the M1 is The Cromwell Cottage at Kislingbury. Smarter, better food and more expensive but OK the couple of times I’ve stopped there. 

Thanks Duck - it is just a refuelling stop so the Wharf looks just the thing.

5 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Any suggestions?

The chip shop in Shepshed was tolerable.

6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

If this were me I'd just go on TripAdvisor, look for one that YOU like the look of, and tell her it was recommended to you by {someone you vageuly know}. Otherwise we'd end up at either McDonalds (when we can't find anywhere else) or some dive.

This. Just put your perimeters into trip advisor. It is pretty accurate.  

6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I've found beerintheevening.com to have pretty honest reviews, although coverage is patchy.

13 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

I've found beerintheevening.com to have pretty honest reviews, although coverage is patchy.

That used to be a good site, full of CAMRA bearded sorts reviewing the drinks on offer. Shame it's died a bit of a death.

20 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Thats OK  - except that it is actually quite a large area to cover so you could spend an age looking at all manner of reviews and then finding they were nowhere near a junction etc.

Personal recommendations are always the best. 

14 hours ago, One percent said:

And don't fear the reaper if you get food poisoning. 

Am i being too obscure? 

No it's the first inappropriate use of an excessive umlaut in 1969.:o Spinal Tap eat your shit.

I would just go back down the A6 and get back on the M1 at Northampton couple of choices in the villages south of Leicester and there's a decent one in Brixworth, between Market Harborough and Northampton.

Edit: It's The Coach & Horses in Brixworth, the first one you come to off the bypass going south.

Edited by SNACR

On 04/10/2017 at 16:15, Duck said:

Update. Went to the Wharf. Was ok, nothing special but much better than a service station. I think it would be much, much better in the summer.

Need to be in Devizes this Saturday. Anyone got any personal recommendations for a pub lunch round there?

22 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Update. Went to the Wharf. Was ok, nothing special but much better than a service station. I think it would be much, much better in the summer.

Need to be in Devizes this Saturday. Anyone got any personal recommendations for a pub lunch round there?

Yes, but it's a secret. You won't have trouble finding a pub.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Thank you. Most helpful.

And I hope, grammatically correct.O.o Remember you could be in Wiltshire. Do not mention crop circles, or Somerset.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Only been to The Crown, near Wadworths brewery, was OK, nothing special but fine fine what it does. The brewery does 2 hour tours for £12.