DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The most expensive used car for under 5k

King Penda

King Penda

I’d guess this might be a Lexus type debate ie expensive but reliable but vw are often reliable and the Phaeton was I suspect very expensive and can be bought for under 5k.forget landrovers they don’t count has they are infamous for breaking and every 10th person in the country has one .

King Penda
1 hour ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Just look for any car that costs £4,999.99

That cost 50k to buy years before yes my bad description 

King Penda
2 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I think you have mentioned it: any Lexus - with it's legendary Toyota build quality. :D Or maybe a Honda Legend (very rare). 

My Honda cost 27k to buy in 1989 I bought it in about 98 ish for 3k . It even had electric back seats the 2.7 was a police car has it was the only thing on the road that could match the cosworths .I could floor it at 90 miles an hour if it was raining and it would wheel spin in sports mode . The problem was the cam belt garages lied yes we can do it charge you 350 over 20 years ago and leave it .

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Lexus, and toyota definately up there with mechanical reliability, but the electrics can be a problem.

I think all manufacturers suffer with car related electrical issues, Japanese and zer Germans. 

1 minute ago, UmBongo said:

I think all manufacturers suffer with car related electrical issues, Japanese and zer Germans. 

They all do. It's more important to check the electrics now, as the engine and transmission is easily chaged out.

Some old roller or bentley perhaps. Old enough to not have loads of poncy electical stuff to go wrong and will have cost a mint back in the day.

One of my cousins had one a few years ago, though he's a mechanic that has built kit cars as a hobby so fixing it himself is doable, but he's not weathy at all so it can't have cost much to buy or run. He got shut for some other smaller sportier old classic I'm not familiar with so can't remember the make/model, before my time.

Frank Hovis

I considered buying a Phaeton a few years ago on a whim as they were one of those well built luxury cars that cost so much to build as a vanity project that VW lost money on every sale.

There were very few about though; suggesting that people were holding onto them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, spunko said:

A Citroen Saxo VTS, if you can find one.

There's a VTR for £2k but a VTS will probably cost £4k if you can find one, I've had my eye out for a while.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102199246260

that looks quite interesting.....I was thinking recently I'd love my old Citroen AX GT back.....only 85bhp but they only weighed about 750kg! I had some 110watt bulbs in the headlights and didn't even melt the wiring....and the lift off oversteer was hilarious......I ended up facing the wrong direction on a few roundabouts :Jumping:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, nirvana said:

that looks quite interesting.....I was thinking recently I'd love my old Citroen AX GT back.....only 85bhp but they only weighed about 750kg! I had some 110watt bulbs in the headlights and didn't even melt the wiring....and the lift off oversteer was hilarious......I ended up facing the wrong direction on a few roundabouts :Jumping:

Be interested to know if the prices have gone mental on those in France like they have here...

7 hours ago, 23rdian said:

I was looking at a £1500 Merc CLS the other day £80k new 420rwhp but £600pa road tax. Ouch.

Yep, any 'cheap' prestige or previously expensive car is cheap for a reason. Only mugs will buy them. The better options have enough non-mugs keeping the prices higher.

So avoid anything that appears too good to be true or make sure you can live with the running costs and have a decent pot of spare cash for a repair fund. Guaranteed after emptying ones wallet a few times even the most 'must have that' car becomes an absolute pain in the ass and is gotten shut of for something a bit more sensible. Go for the sensible one in the first place. I offer this advice as an ex-TVR owner, ended up getting an Astra SRi just so I could be confident about getting from A to B quicker. xD

Edited by BoSon
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, nirvana said:

A bit cheaper than here but you can get a GT for £4k easily.

It's the 205 GTi that is selling for mental prices:

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/peugeot/205-gti

• Informative 1

sleepwello'nights
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Makes the two or three available on Mathewson's auctions look reasonable.

10 hours ago, spunko said:

A bit cheaper than here but you can get a GT for £4k easily.

Had a Fiesta mk1 XR2 in black in my early 20's , A reg.  Every now and then i get the urge to consider going back down memory lane have a look around and are genuinely shocked at the prices.  I paid £4k for mine in 1989 , sold it for £2500 in 1993. 

If i could find a mint body one with shagged engine / gearbox for cheap i would consider buying it and spending five figures having it converted to a classic EV. 

1 minute ago, markyh said:

Had a Fiesta mk1 XR2 in black in my early 20's , A reg.  Every now and then i get the urge to consider going back down memory lane have a look around and are genuinely shocked at the prices.  I paid £4k for mine in 1989 , sold it for £2500 in 1993. 

If i could find a mint body one with shagged engine / gearbox for cheap i would consider buying it and spending five figures having it converted to a classic EV. 

Classic EV? The only one you need:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/356906/nissan-newbird-concept-blends-classic-bluebird-body-and-leaf-electric-motor

Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 20-28-40 Nissan Newbird concept blends classic Bluebird body and Leaf electric motor Auto Express.png

• Agree 1