DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Heart's Ease

Thought I'd start a separate thread to keep an eye on the Motorhome market as I think it will be one of the dominos to fall in the wider everything bubble crash.  

Couple of extracts from industry websites to set some context:

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/advice/2019/03/uk-motorhome-sales-at-an-all-time-high#:~:text=UK Motorhome Sales Hit an All Time High,higher than the previous year's total of 14%2C062.

The latest Market Brief report from the National Caravan Council has revealed that new motorhome sales in the UK reached an all time high in 2018. The number of new motorhomes registered was 14,655, marginally higher than the previous year's total of 14,062. Not many will be surprised by this and in fact, it just follows a long term trend. Over the last ten years, new registrations per annum have grown by 83%, from 8,017 in 2009 to that figure of 14,655 in 2018.

Used Motorhome Sales in the UK

One interesting if slightly quirky statistic that can be gleaned from the NCC's Market Brief report is concerning used motorhome sales in the UK. Over the same ten year period that new motorhome sales per annum increased by 83%, used motorhome sales only increased by 10%. In fact the used motorhome market is incredibly stable. Over that ten year period, between 50,000 and 55,000 used motorhomes were registered every year. Regardless of what new sales, the economy or anything else did, every year a remarkably similar number of motorhome owners decided it was time for a change.

https://www.aboutcampbtob.eu/uk-sets-new-record-for-motorhome-and-campervan-sales/

UK sets new record for motorhome and campervan sales

The latest figures released by the NCC (National Caravan Council) show that record numbers of motorhomes and campervans have been sold in the UK in the past year thanks to a continued growth in demand for UK holidays.

A total of 16,608 new motorhomes were registered with the DVLA in the 12 months from 1 July 2020 to the end of June 2021, an 8.25 percent increase on the previous record of 15,342 in the same period in 2018/2019 (pre-COVID). The total value of sales of new motorhomes is the highest it has ever been, now nearing £1.15 billion p.a.  Campervan sales have been particularly buoyant. 

John Lally, Director General of the National Caravan Council (NCC), the UK trade association for the leisure vehicle industry (touring caravans, motorhomes and holiday caravans), commented: “COVID-19 restrictions on travel have helped, as the industry offers ‘social distance by design’ products. The industry is successfully attracting a new, younger customer while retaining existing ones.”

The record level of production of motorhomes to satisfy this growing market is even more impressive given many UK industries are faced with empty order books and a struggle to obtain raw materials and labour due to a combination of Brexit and the pandemic.  Even last year, when manufacturers and dealerships were closed in the first lockdown, the industry managed to achieve 9,964 registrations in the July 2019 – June 2020 period. 

Edited by Heart's Ease
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Thought I'd start a separate thread to keep an eye on the Motorhome market as I think it will be one of the dominos to fall in the wider everything bubble crash.  

Couple of extracts from industry websites to set some context:

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/advice/2019/03/uk-motorhome-sales-at-an-all-time-high#:~:text=UK Motorhome Sales Hit an All Time High,higher than the previous year's total of 14%2C062.

The latest Market Brief report from the National Caravan Council has revealed that new motorhome sales in the UK reached an all time high in 2018. The number of new motorhomes registered was 14,655, marginally higher than the previous year's total of 14,062. Not many will be surprised by this and in fact, it just follows a long term trend. Over the last ten years, new registrations per annum have grown by 83%, from 8,017 in 2009 to that figure of 14,655 in 2018.

Used Motorhome Sales in the UK

One interesting if slightly quirky statistic that can be gleaned from the NCC's Market Brief report is concerning used motorhome sales in the UK. Over the same ten year period that new motorhome sales per annum increased by 83%, used motorhome sales only increased by 10%. In fact the used motorhome market is incredibly stable. Over that ten year period, between 50,000 and 55,000 used motorhomes were registered every year. Regardless of what new sales, the economy or anything else did, every year a remarkably similar number of motorhome owners decided it was time for a change.

https://www.aboutcampbtob.eu/uk-sets-new-record-for-motorhome-and-campervan-sales/

UK sets new record for motorhome and campervan sales

The latest figures released by the NCC (National Caravan Council) show that record numbers of motorhomes and campervans have been sold in the UK in the past year thanks to a continued growth in demand for UK holidays.

A total of 16,608 new motorhomes were registered with the DVLA in the 12 months from 1 July 2020 to the end of June 2021, an 8.25 percent increase on the previous record of 15,342 in the same period in 2018/2019 (pre-COVID). The total value of sales of new motorhomes is the highest it has ever been, now nearing £1.15 billion p.a.  Campervan sales have been particularly buoyant. 

John Lally, Director General of the National Caravan Council (NCC), the UK trade association for the leisure vehicle industry (touring caravans, motorhomes and holiday caravans), commented: “COVID-19 restrictions on travel have helped, as the industry offers ‘social distance by design’ products. The industry is successfully attracting a new, younger customer while retaining existing ones.”

The record level of production of motorhomes to satisfy this growing market is even more impressive given many UK industries are faced with empty order books and a struggle to obtain raw materials and labour due to a combination of Brexit and the pandemic.  Even last year, when manufacturers and dealerships were closed in the first lockdown, the industry managed to achieve 9,964 registrations in the July 2019 – June 2020 period. 

I get the feeling they'll start to suffer from "Peleton syndrome" something that looked like a good idea during shutdown but which is expensive and doesn't get used much once the novelty has worn off.

• Agree 6

One percent
1 minute ago, Option5 said:

I get the feeling they'll start to suffer from "Peleton syndrome" something that looked like a good idea during shutdown but which is expensive and doesn't get used much once the novelty has worn off.

Councils are beginning  to place restrictions on where they can park as they are a right bloody nuisance. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1

Uncle Buck Rogers
2 hours ago, One percent said:

Councils are beginning  to place restrictions on where they can park as they are a right bloody nuisance. 

Like everything these days, there are simply too many people doing it, cos we are over crowded.

Oh and Pikies.

• Agree 3

One percent
2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

Like everything these days, there are simply too many people doing it, cos we are over crowded.

Oh and Pikies.

Yes. If it were one or two , it would be fine. Its hundreds of the fuckers all parked up for free that’s the problem. I posted a photo of one of the carparks here a couple of years ago. Wall to wall caravans and campers. 

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

I'm not sure the used motorhome market would be a useful barometer of wider economic issues, motorhomes have always been in reasonably high demand and held their value remarkably well, since well before the craze for lockdown driven van life staycationing became a thing.

In fact I don't think the wider "everything bubble" will pop either, not without a complete collapse of the whole economy and fiat money system, which would also crash every other aspect of the economy... employment, stock markets, property etc etc

The above may happen at some point, but I doubt I'll be lucky enough to see it occur in my life time.

• Agree 1

reformed nice guy
14 minutes ago, Royston said:

I'm not sure the used motorhome market would be a useful barometer of wider economic issues

They are also the sort of thing that people can just leaving rusting on their drive, promising themselves that they will get it running again next summer when they have more time

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

They are also the sort of thing that people can just leaving rusting on their drive, promising themselves that they will get it running again next summer when they have more time

I was also going to make that exact point... I know a few examples ranging from rust buckets to £80k minters that the owners barely use but have no compulsion whatsoever to get rid of them.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
16 hours ago, Option5 said:

Yes if it's a second car.

I know two people who have it as there only car.

Obviously these aren't the huge leviathans that you sometimes see.

• Agree 2

belfastchild
33 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

you called? ;-)

• Lol 5

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes if it's a second car.

I know two people who have it as there only car.

Obviously these aren't the huge leviathans that you sometimes see.

Agreed but they will fall foul of the "Clean Air" zones like the ones Manchester are imposing.

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis
On 26/01/2022 at 10:52, Option5 said:

Agreed but they will fall foul of the "Clean Air" zones like the ones Manchester are imposing.

Yes.

Tbh I don't take much notice of them as they are established in places that either I don't wish to visit in the first place, most big cities, or if I did I would anyway get the train.

I used to travel up to London at least twice a year for work but I always went on the train and would have done even if there was no congestion charge.

The two people I know with them live in the SW and the nearest charging zone may be Bristol centre; again I don't wish to drive there anyway.

• Informative 1

On 25/01/2022 at 21:35, One percent said:

Yes. If it were one or two , it would be fine. Its hundreds of the fuckers all parked up for free that’s the problem. I posted a photo of one of the carparks here a couple of years ago. Wall to wall caravans and campers. 

it's not their fault....that's the result of rentier capitalism, just another example of 'you reap what you sow'. ya!?

• Agree 2

On 26/01/2022 at 11:37, Frank Hovis said:

there only car

THEIR Frank...standards slipping old boy! :Old:

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

'Nazi'! :-)))

gonna let myself off here, speeling is just basic manners chief! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Heart's Ease

I've mentioned The Motorhome Man Youtube channel on DBs thread as a useful resource to follow for an insight into the Motorhome/Caravan market.  As well as his various solo pieces to camera he has a regular catch up with a used caravan dealer, and a guy who works for Webuyanymotorcaravan dot com.  Sometimes they do this as a Youtube live and respond to the viewers comments in real time.

I've gone back to mid 2021 to pick out some of their observations on a Live to give this thread a bit more context.  A few points below from May 2021:

Supply

• Supply of new MoHos/caravans is down due to production shut downs in 2020/21 UK and Europe, plus semiconductor shortages impacting on base vehicles
  • For some makes, dealers have already sold 2021 and 2022 stock; some brands only offering 2023 for orders (side issue noted here about dealers having sold the stock in weeks but having to cover 2 years overheads, plus not geared up to buy used stock via auction)
  • Lack of used stock - usual part exchanges not coming into dealers

Demand

• Demand up from those who have brought retirement plans forward; people used to spending a few £k on foreign holidays (point made needing to spend another £1k on covid tests for the family).  Huge demand for campervans.

Price

• Glasses Guide to used Motorhome (and Caravan) prices is no longer reflective of true used market prices
  • Trade is paying retail prices on unseen used stock - plus auction fees
  • New 2022 stock prices up significantly
  • New prices going up will drag used prices up
  • Q: Will prices drop once foreign holiday market reopens?  A:  No.  Can't build MoHos/caravans quick enough; will never catch up on lost production.  Too many people in the market creating massive demand.  Even if the industry loses 50% of new entrants demand still higher than supply.  
  • Q: Will prices ever drop?  A: Not a chance.  Not even in three years.  May level out over winter but only going up.  New Normal on prices.  Good if selling up for good, not if trying to buy another one [housing market anyone?]. No bargains to be had, just occasional misprice. 
  • Q: Won't we get to a point where customers can't afford second hand or new?  A:  Possibly.  Customers will have to go for older units that fit their budget.

--------

Quick run through of half a dozen 'family vans': original sold prices; current for sale; sale prices pre covids.

Broadly, MoHos are dropping a couple of £k on original sold, current asking prices a couple of £k higher than pre covid.  

Edited by Heart's Ease
edited to add he's got loads of content on his channel and well worth a sub
  • Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
Heart's Ease

Caught up on a few months of Motorhome Man videos to record the position - as they see it - in the trade in the latter half of 2021.  

September:

• Reference again to tightness of supply due to reduced amount of 20/21 models coming to market/not a lot of stock with dealers
  • Expectation of increased motorhomes available due to PX over the winter which hadn't been seen in 2021: expecting people to start to swop out 'starter' vans
  • Dealers not buying just for the sake of it because coming into winter and they would sit on forecourts. Demand there for good quality but tailing off for other types of stock
  • Motorhome Man still busy selling in September
  • September auctions (50-60 motorhomes through each auction) saw a 'correction' in prices for less good service history.  No dip for good quality stock, even back to 2005/06 motorhomes if low mileage/GSH.

October (with Shane from webuyanymotorcaravan):

• Shane reports: prices they are paying gone down by around £3000 per unit.  Unsure whether this will go back up in the NY but looking at the prices new 2022 model vans are going up, thinks used vans will be back up in price.  Big brand increases per unit: Elddis up £2-£3k; Benimar up £5k; Swift £9k (and short of parts)
  • Shane repeats the point that two years of stock (20/21) will never make it to market, so the industry won't ever 'catch up'.  Waiting lists stretching to 2023.  Rollerteam cancelling orders for 2022 because they can't build them fast enough/parts shortage
  • Dealers still very busy and low on stock.

November 3 (with Mark from CaravanPlace)

• Auctions give trade a good indicator of market 3/4 months in future
  • Mark agrees trade prices dropped in September.  Still paying more for caravans/motorhomes that did 2 years previously
  • Mark notes vans/motorhomes coming to market are beginning to be units bought in haste: either doesn't suit or 'has issues' and owners want to 'get rid of the rubbish' while prices still high.  High numbers of self built VWs coming for PX as owners realise they are not good for long holidays. Good units still not come to the market - why swop now with the uncertainty of next year and no good stock to replace with?  People waiting 'for the dust to settle'
  • Mark thinks prices are going to go back up.  He knows the industry is in a massive bubble and it has to end sometime.  Re demand in 2022 - that will depend on whether holidays abroad are back on.  If people are putting off buying now because more stock will be available in the NY - what happens if it isn't?

November 29 (with Shane)

• Dealers never been so cash rich so are buying because they know demand is going to be there again in 2022.  They're also paying more money for stock because they don't want empty forecourts.  Prices paid currently up to August 2021 levels (probably time of peak wanted).  Expectation March 2022 prices will be higher than March 2021
  • Some dealers will see 50% cuts in new supply in 2022, added to cut production in 20/21.  These have never had to go out to buy from auction, have relied on PXs from new and existing customers.
  • Notes Glasses Guide still useless: WBAMC paying as much as £15k extra on guide prices.  

December Live (Jason, Mark, Shane)

• Public demand still high
  • Low stock everywhere
  • Dealers going to have to change how they do business.  Brownhills is biggest dealer in UK.  2022 stock cut by 50%, and all already sold Cost cutting will need to happen.

https://youtu.be/JXQZU0K4Nww

https://youtu.be/4rz7Zxoh5eI

https://youtu.be/67qPzWq25lc

https://youtu.be/dTQElZRmKko

https://youtu.be/Ac_GHmUjJ18

Edited by Heart's Ease
  • Informative 4

Joncrete Cungle

Dad was planning to spend an eye-watering sum of money on a new camper, despite him never having been in one before. Convinced him to rent one for a week first and he disliked it. Buying one has now gone out of the window.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

Sugarlips
On 21/02/2022 at 01:24, Joncrete Cungle said:

Dad was planning to spend an eye-watering sum of money on a new camper, despite him never having been in one before. Convinced him to rent one for a week first and he disliked it. Buying one has now gone out of the window.

The whole having to pack the campervan up every time you need to go to the shops or wherever is a drag - esp with kids in tow. Not so with a camper trailer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Heart's Ease

A few more bits to add:

Jason (The Motorhome Man) listened into the first auction of the year in January.  Prices were 'crazy'.  Trade paying almost retail prices for the units.

https://youtu.be/ZrvDg6VgkKw

Fast forward a few weeks and it's the Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC.  Video has general chit chat, with comment that "£56,000 [for a 2022 model] is the new £45,000."

https://youtu.be/9TVpLC4qbeg

--------------

"New data from buymymotorhome.com has found that the average motorhome has seen an increase in price of 13.86 percent, or £4,060, in the past 12 months.

Across the past year, prices for motorhomes have seen a big increase, similar to price increases across the used car market. 

In part, this is due to a lack of new motorhome supply, meaning more people turning to the second-hand market with more competing buyers pushing up prices. 

In addition, a new wave of first time buyers have driven used motorhomes prices up as they venture into the market for the first time."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1571405/caravan-motorhome-prices-today-at-the-caravan-show-experts-exclusive

--------

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-petrol-diesel-price-record-high-130142000.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Diesel prices on the rise again.  Fiat Ducato base vehicles generally have 90 litre tank.  25-30 MPG for motorhome conversions.  £1.51 per litre supermarket prices yesterday.  Tank fumes to brim £120 give or take, which would give roughly 500 miles of motoring.

• Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...
23rdian
On 25/01/2022 at 17:53, One percent said:

Councils are a bunch of self important pricks. Always have been. Always will be.

Edited by 23rdian
  • Agree 3

Uncle Buck Rogers
On 01/03/2022 at 20:27, Heart's Ease said:

Tank fumes to brim £120 give or take, which would give roughly 500 miles of motoring.

And probably far easier and more worthwhile for the lovely nomadic tribes to siphon.

• 1 month later...
Heart's Ease

A snapshot interview from November 2021 with Shane from We buy any motor caravan.

Helpfully sets the scene for 2022.

https://www.webuyanymotorcaravan.com/what-will-happen-to-motorhome-prices-market-in-2022/

What Will Happen To Motorhome Prices & Market In 2022?

With motorhome and caravan prices going up since Covid began and staycations kicked in, people are now asking will motorhome and caravan prices go down in 2022?

Have you seen them too? The comments from people saying “Oh you wait a few months, the market will be flooded with cheap motorhomes and caravans as everyone goes back abroad!” We see a lot of people trying to guess the 2022 market, but without having the insider knowledge it is very difficult to predict. There are multiple factors which compile together to come to a conclusion. So, what will happen to motorhome prices and the market in 2022? Lets see what motorhome industry expert, Shane Malpass has to say!

Are 2022 motorhome models sold out?
As a general rule, absolutely they are! And the ones that aren’t sold out, will be very soon. A lot of motorhome manufacturers are already into 2023 models with the dealers scared to take orders, just because there are even doubts of a 2023 model arriving on time, let alone having no idea what price it will be, how it will look and to what spec. 

See this screen shot below of the Brownhills Motorhome website below, the single biggest dealership in the U.K., taken 20th November 2021.

What Will Happen To Motorhome Prices & Market In 2022?

With motorhome and caravan prices going up since Covid began and staycations kicked in, people are now asking will motorhome and caravan prices go down in 2022?
Have you seen them too? The comments from people saying “Oh you wait a few months, the market will be flooded with cheap motorhomes and caravans as everyone goes back abroad!” We see a lot of people trying to guess the 2022 market, but without having the insider knowledge it is very difficult to predict. There are multiple factors which compile together to come to a conclusion. So, what will happen to motorhome prices and the market in 2022? Lets see what motorhome industry expert, Shane Malpass has to say!

What is causing the shortage of new motorhomes?
Various things! As we all know the semi-conductors are a big factor in all things new and electronic. You then have the increase material prices because of demand. There have even been times where manufacturers can’t build the wood cabinets inside, because they can’t get hold of wood. Power shortages in the far east have meant they are on shorter weeks, in which even if that impacts on one component, it could stop the whole build.

Swift are a good example of having to alter parts around. Their lovely Swift Command unit has had to be ditched on the lower priced models to a simpler non screen button, just because it will be easier to get hold of.

Chassis cabs are a general nightmare. Fiat being particularly bad. You then have shipping implications where it’s taking so long to get them delivered due to the demand. For example, we currently have 2 new Fiat work vans that have been sat on the docks of Italy for over a month, and are now sat on the docks of England, with no drivers able to get them back to the Fiat dealership. 

Have new motorhome prices gone up?
Absolutely they have. Even models such as a Swift Escape has gone up around £15,000 for 2022, which is a huge increase. Baileys, and other models have gone up approximately £10,000 per unit. Elddis who are only advertising 2023 prices now, around £10,000-15,000. If you are talking the £100,000 plus German market, you are then talking £15,000 plus, if not more depending on spec. At the time of the February NEC show, there was another 5% increase. And there could well be more price increases to come!

There are even rumours that some European manufacturers are no longer taking orders from the U.K. market, and concentrating on their own area.

Is the demand still there for new customers into the motorhome and caravan market?
When this article is being written, in what is the off season coming into December 2022, dealers are still selling at an incredibly high rate. There are still floods of first time buyers onto the market which is incredible for the industry. Alls we need now is some of the campsites to invest to the standard the newbies will demand, plus more opening up to meet the demand.

Are there many used motorhomes and caravans for sale?
No, dealers are well down on stock. Scar so. Some dealers who usually stock 20, 30, 40 motorhomes, are down to as little as 2 or 3 for sale. There is even one chain of 13 branches, that is down to 38 total stock. Thats averaging 2.92 per branch! With new motorhomes in short supply, this is going to be very difficult to improve on.

Will second hand motorhomes go down in price in 2022?
For the fact that there are very virtually no new 2022 models available, first time buyers flooding onto the market, used motorhomes still unavailable, new motorhome prices going up, that will do only one thing to the used motorhome price in 2022. It will without a shadow of a doubt, go up.

Will motorhome prices ever go down?
There may be some gradual depreciation in years to come, but for the next few years, probably not. Why? Because every year, new motorhomes increase in value. This means that the used maintains its price so it falls in line with the new prices.

For example, a brand new Swift Escape 674 was £56,450 in 2021 and the used price on a forecourt was around £47,950, do we think that the same used 2021 Swift Escape 674 would still retail at £ 47,950 in 2022, when the new ones are now a whopping £68,995? No! There is just no way that there will be a near £20,000 gap between new and used. Therefore, if you managed to get hold of a Swift Escape in 2021, you probably could get your money back in 2022 in a private sale.

Will the February 2022 NEC Motorhome & Caravan Show go ahead?
This has caused a big debate between the dealers and manufacturers. I personally think it will, but almost by default. And what I mean by this, the organisers, manufacturers and exhibitors have likely paid for the show and won’t be able to recoup that money by not going. However, it will be a show like none before. There is a good chance that come February, there will be nothing to sell there apart from a potential 2023 model that at the moment is just an idea. And that includes the accessory stands who are also struggling to get stock.

Want to know a little insider to how the dealers and manufacturers work together at the shows…? A manufacturer such as Elddis will pay £300,000 for example for their stand and will get all their new motorhome models there. The dealer will pay approximately £1,500 maybe more per sales person, to sell from that stand for the week, which is why you see sales people from different dealerships.

Now, the question is, would you as a dealer pay £9,000-12,000 plus expenses which is likely to include accommodation, travel and food, to send your staff to the NEC, when already sold out?

Should I buy my motorhome now, or wait?!
BUY NOW! If you see one for sale, grab it! We have all heard that old line from the sales staff, “if you don’t buy it, someone else will”, whereas before that may have been a gentle push to get the sale, it is now a genuine warning. Leave it for a couple of days, the chances are it will be gone, and the next one you look to buy, has gone up in price.

Screenshot-2021-11-21-at-07.23.10-1024x431.png

• Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

Heart's Ease

Sticking with We Buy Any MotorCaravan, a recap of three podcasts.

Feb 2022, Motorhome insiders - 2021 and why 2022 could be a disaster featuring Shane (Director) and Pete (Buyer)

• Covid been a friend to dealers through all the lockdowns
  • In 2021 the Left Hand Drive market bombed (although Pete blames Brexit).  Also >3.5t market has suffered as more drivers come to motorhomes without the necessary qualifications on the license 
  • Shane's prediction for 2022: "record [price] highs"  Two years of not building enough stock, dealers receiving a 50% cut in stock allocations for 2022, so many more people in the market.  2021 was good, 2022 should be better.  Thinks market is going to be "stupid"
  • Both expecting the end of Motorhome shows as they know it due to lack of stock
  • For 2022 season, WBAMC is looking forward to new models appearing.  Gives example of Swift increasing prices from £56k to £71k for 2022 models and how that £15k uplift can be justified.  Wonders whether greed or just upspeccing?
  • Hopes not too many dealers go under.  Understands dealers are taking eg 40 new vans instead of 120.  Unsustainable business model

March 2022, Motorhome insiders - The rise of the campervan feat. Shane and Pete

• Two big news items which are causing uncertainty: Fuel prices and Ukraine/Russia conflict
  • Shane thinks these will drive people one of two ways: scare people away from spending money, or draw people in to motorhomes because they don't want to go too far east on their holidays
  • Wide ranging conversation about campervans with acknowledgement that since The Covids there are lots more out there with varying degrees of competence in fit out.  WBAMC won't buy without gas and electric certs and crash tested belts
  • Average new retail prices - £50k starting, £60k - £80k mostly, a few over £100k
  • Plenty of demand for campervans.  Both agree that they will be more popular from here on - attracting the younger end of the market

April 2022, Motorhome Insider - What are the trends for 2022? feat. Pete and Liam (senior buyer)

• Discuss trends over the last couple of years.  Liam notes that LHD motorhomes are being offered to WBAMC a lot more.  Market very difficult (ie divergence in opinion about 'what it's worth') due to lack of opportunities to drive in mainland Europe.  Also discuss challenging market for tag axle and 4.5t - 5t motorhomes: heavy and older stuff is struggling to sell.  UK roads and supermarkets not equipped for 8m tag axle motorhomes
  • Punters looking for 6m - 6.50m high top panel van conversions (eg Citroen Boxer) and same length in motorhomes because storage prices are increasing so they can park on drive
  • Average used forecourt price is £40k
  • Seeing more 30 - 40 year olds with families buying into market
  • People want onboard wifi, not £3k on satellite dish and tv
  • Re fuel prices - report sentiment on motorhome forums is pragmatic: paid £££ for motorhome, most people only go 10 times a year, 3000 miles all in, so will go on holiday closer to home to even out diesel costs

Diesel at £179.9 at local Shell station today.

https://youtu.be/OinB_K2vUWY

https://youtu.be/AWoYeoWedZA

https://youtu.be/sMfC8VrI5sg

• Informative 6