DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The death of self-driving cars is inevitable ...

BoSon

... while people are allowed to drive other cars and vehicles on the same roads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60126014

Users not legally responsible in driverless cars

Human drivers should not be legally accountable for road safety in the era of autonomous cars, a report says.

In these cars, the driver should be redefined as a "user-in-charge", with very different legal responsibilities, according to the law commissions for England and Wales, and Scotland.

If anything goes wrong, the company behind the driving system would be responsible, rather than the driver.

In this final report, their recommendations include:

• a user-in-charge cannot be prosecuted for offences arising directly from the driving task, such as dangerous driving, speeding or running a red light, but remains responsible for other tasks, including insurance and checking people are wearing seatbelts
  • some vehicles may be allowed to drive themselves with no-one in the driving seat and a licensed operator responsible for overseeing the journey
  • data to understand fault and liability following a collision must be accessible
  • sanctions for carmakers who fail to reveal how their systems work

The liability on the car maker to pay for any failures in their systems causing accident or death will bankrupt them or any insurance will be too costly.

It will require segregation of automated and non-automated traffic to avoid chaos as manual muppets cause the automated cars to panic attack slamming on the brakes at every encounter.

See that 'idiots in cars' thread for how dumbass people are and how easy it will be for them to totally fuck up the day of anyone in an automated vehicle as the AI goes "WTF" and slams on time after time while the passengers are shouting at it to "just go around", "what are you doing", "just change lanes", "FFS come on speed up I'm in a hurry", "FFS stop slamming the brakes on you dumb computer it's only a cyclist, squeeze past", "how do I drive this fecking thing, where's the manual override" and other family friendly phrases. xD

Those not wanting to lose access to the right to drive what will become classic human controlled cars when these automated ones start to get favouritism in the rules and regulation, consider getting an old banger and going demolition derby with any Tesla or other pretender to the crown of king of the road. Bash them into bankruptcy. B|

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I'll put self driving cars in a bucket, along with warp drive, and transporters. Not because it's impossible, but because it will be thoroughly dangerous. As AI is seen as a magical cure for everything.

Chewing Grass
7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'll put self driving cars in a bucket, along with warp drive, and transporters. Not because it's impossible, but because it will be thoroughly dangerous. As AI is seen as a magical cure for everything.

What will humans do when AI does everything and nobody wants excessive amounts of handmade pottery or was wanked themselves bored. At least driving is something to do that improves hand eye coordination and automatic judgement of speed, distance and the basic physics of motion.

3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

What will humans do when AI does everything and nobody wants excessive amounts of handmade pottery or was wanked themselves bored. At least driving is something to do that improves hand eye coordination and automatic judgement of speed, distance and the basic physics of motion.

Drink more, because the automated car can take you to the pub sober, and bring you back pissed, happy days. 

• Cheers 1

Wight Flight
3 hours ago, markyh said:

Drink more, because the automated car can take you to the pub sober, and bring you back pissed, happy days. 

Much cheaper to get a wife.

15 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Much cheaper to get a wife.

A Tesla wont take your house, half your wealth and make you pay for the kids after 20 years together. ;) 

Wight Flight
9 minutes ago, markyh said:

A Tesla wont take your house, half your wealth and make you pay for the kids after 20 years together. ;) 

Neither will the right wife.

And the batteries needed to keep her revving are a whole lot cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Neither will the right wife.

And the batteries needed to keep her revving are a whole lot cheaper.

Helps is you have a massive chunk of your wealth in Crypto and they dont understand anything about the blockchain and know if you die and take those passwords with you, "poof" ,the wealth is gone!  9_9

Wight Flight
Just now, markyh said:

Helps is you have a massive chunk of your wealth in Crypto and they dont understand anything about the blockchain and know if you die and take those passwords with you, "poof" ,the wealth is gone!  9_9

As i say, helps if you have the right wife.

I wouldn't even think of using threats of poverty to keep mine. Not that I need to.

belfastchild
9 hours ago, markyh said:

As my mate recently found out. The wife doesnt need to know any of that, but her solicitor did.

Frank Hovis

Along similar lines IMO I saw a piece about a working Czech produced @The Generation Game flying car yesterday.

It looks great and the wings etc. fold into the body so you don't need to store them at the airport.

I'd love to have one but what you really have is a very compromised and expensive car and a heavy, slow, short range plane.

As you can only take off from an airport then if you want this for regular commutes you will do far better with a normal small plane and keeping a normal car at the airport at either end.

I remember Jimmy Edwards, who was ex RAF, saying that he used to fly to shows around the country in a small plane.

This sounded impressive but he packed it in because he used to notice that with any headwind the motorway traffic below him was outpacing him so he switched to a car instead.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/look-its-actual-working-flying-car?amp=1

The Generation Game
43 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Along similar lines IMO I saw a piece about a working Czech produced @The Generation Game flying car yesterday.

It looks great and the wings etc. fold into the body so you don't need to store them at the airport.

I'd love to have one but what you really have is a very compromised and expensive car and a heavy, slow, short range plane.

As you can only take off from an airport then if you want this for regular commutes you will do far better with a normal small plane and keeping a normal car at the airport at either end.

I remember Jimmy Edwards, who was ex RAF, saying that he used to fly to shows around the country in a small plane.

This sounded impressive but he packed it in because he used to notice that with any headwind the motorway traffic below him was outpacing him so he switched to a car instead.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/look-its-actual-working-flying-car?amp=1

Flying from Bratislava? Looks like a perfect vehicle for Ursula to reduce increase her carbon footprint. 

• Agree 1

Rare Bear
11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

An Auster that hd been owned by him was for sale fairly recently.

In favour of it being practical, a friend of mine had one a long time ago. He said he could land it in the length of a cricket pitch.

• Informative 1

Driverless cars will work if they have their own lanes as a minimum or there are only ever driverless cars on the road. Anything less than this and it will be too risky for the reasons discussed.