• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JackieO

Blade Runner 2

9 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Sorry, you've got Darryl Hannah in her prime as an 'officers' pleasure model', and you're fixated by a set of shoulder pads and a fringe?

Yep, he's failed my Voight-Kampf test.

Mind you Sean Young is proper mental so grade A catnip for on here.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Yep, he's failed my Voight-Kampf test.

Mind you Sean Young is proper mental so grade A catnip for on here.

I always wondered whether that's her real hair, and Sean is a silly name for a woman. Kevin would make just as much sense.

13 hours ago, Dipsy said:

I'm looking forward to watching it, but am concerned about the running time 2hrs 44 mins, I hope it's not a bloated mess, reviews seem decent.

I might just wait for the director's cut.  

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

If it takes as long as the first one, i'll be 70 by the time "The Final Cut" is released. :o

I didn't see a huge improvement in the final cut over the director's cut really.

Just now, SNACR said:

I didn't see a huge improvement in the final cut over the director's cut really.

No, about 30 seconds of extra cityscape, and a contemplative pan back from a balcony.

To be fair, "The Director's cut" was genuinely a substantial improvement over the theatrical release.

19 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The reviews are wildly enthusiastic. Interesting that Ridley Scott and Denis Villeneuve, got into a public disagreement over whether Deckard was definitely a replicant or whether it was left ambiguous in the original. Very excited.

I have to say I think Rutger Hauer's opinion of them coming up with it as a clever plot-twist after the fact seems most plausible. If he's a replicant it opens more plot holes than it fills in.

Interesting the bits of the future (only two years away) Blade Runner got most wrong. It's the stuff like the guy doing  the Voight-Kampf test smoking that date it most jarringly now.

Edited by SNACR

16 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I have to say I think Rutger Hauer's opinion of them coming up with it as a clever plot-twist after the fact seems most plausible. If he's a replicant it opens more plot holes than it fills in.

Interesting the bits of the future (only two years away) Blade Runner got most wrong. It's the stuff like the guy doing  the Voight-Kampf test smoking that date it most jarringly now.

I always thought Deckard was a replicant in the movie, implanted with the memories of an actual now deceased Deckard (or maybe even Holden). Although there are plot holes either way you look at it, it does hang together better with him as a "Nexus 7" replicant IMO.

The most interesting section of the book involves Deckard discovering a ring fenced police station/"Blade Runner" unit operating in the city, who were unaware that they themselves were replicants.

29 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I still haven't seen the first one yet. :ph34r:

I suspect it's one of those films that willl either leave you cold or you'll think it's a masterpiece. I do feel it's a masterpiece, I think it's been recognised as such and put in the library of congress.

Just now, SNACR said:

I suspect it's one of those films that willl either leave you cold or you'll think it's a masterpiece. I do feel it's a masterpiece, I think it's been recognised as such and put in the library of congress.

I watched the trailer and it looked a bit like Mad Max, quite dark so will give it a go. Things like Star Trek/Star Wars don't really appeal to me at all!

50 minutes ago, SNACR said:

payphones

maybe the guy doing the test is French... judging by my colleagues

57 minutes ago, SNACR said:

My favourite bit is when he has to make a phonecall. The lack of mobile phones in old sci-fi really looks strange now.

The new Blade Runner movie is mostly excellent. The score, the sets, the acting, the slow pacing and overall tone were perfect.

The only duff notes seemed to relate to the studio's desire to tease a bigger story for a potential multi-film epic franchise.

I don't want to do any spoilers, so suffice to say if you enjoyed the original you will likely appreciate this one just as much.