• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Green Devil

Recycling Madness

To cut a long story short, i was offered bits of a nice kitchen from a relly in Wales. So i checked if i could take the bits to the tip i dont want, apparently i cant as im not a welsh resident and cant show my V5 with a welsh address. Plus i cant take a trailer as id need a permit.

So the fitters are taking it ALL to the tip.

Madness. 

6 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

To cut a long story short, i was offered bits of a nice kitchen from a relly in Wales. So i checked if i could take the bits to the tip i dont want, apparently i cant as im not a welsh resident and cant show my V5 with a welsh address. Plus i cant take a trailer as id need a permit.

So the fitters are taking it ALL to the tip.

Madness. 

Can you not just get them to keep the bits you want and take the rest to the tip?

29 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Can you not just get them to keep the bits you want and take the rest to the tip?

Im not there. So i need them to leave it all and i will select what i need when i visit end of Nov. Relly is not to clued up on what bits are what.

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just leave the bits you don't want in a beauty spot. If caught claim to be a persecuted minority. 

Very true, but it wont wash with the council.

11 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Im not there. So i need them to leave it all and i will select what i need when i visit end of Nov. Relly is not to clued up on what bits are what.

Very true, but it wont wash with the council.

Well significant numbers seem to get away with it.  Caravan in tow when you drop the stuff not needed in the beauty spot?

10 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Ok hire a van and get them to put your rellies address on the hire slip. You will have to check with the council that they allow hire vans in to the tip.

Wales you say the kitchen is in? There's a van hire place in Portyclun you could try..

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Ok hire a van and get them to put your rellies address on the hire slip. You will have to check with the council that they allow hire vans in to the tip.

Wales you say the kitchen is in? There's a van hire place in Portyclun you could try..

Do you not have to worry about marauding gimmigrants with ak 47s whilst hiring a van there? Or is that the car wash down the road?  

42 minutes ago, One percent said:

Do you not have to worry about marauding gimmigrants with ak 47s whilst hiring a van there? Or is that the car wash down the road?  

I think that extra only comes with the daily hire, he's just needing it for a few hours go get rid of some rubbish. I only mentioned it as he mentioned Wales, it's good to support local businesses I feel.

1 hour ago, man o' the year said:

I agree there is a great short sightedness with refuse. The recycling advertised as successes by councils are fictions as their policies are pushing many types of rubbish into other methods of disposal. This means that many of our fields and hedgerows are spoiled with dumped waste costing council and others much more money than they would spend if they relaxed their policies in legitimate disposal. It also means that mountains of waste are built up by unscrupulous scum who rent land and then do runners. The same is true of some owners who then have fires, claimed as accidental, to clear the waste. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Well significant numbers seem to get away with it.  Caravan in tow when you drop the stuff not needed in the beauty spot?

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

I think i am tending towards the "Fuck it and chuck it in the hedgerow idea" suggested by @One percent

:)

5 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I think i am tending towards the "Fuck it and chuck it in the hedgerow idea" suggested by @One percent

:)

I try and do that with our recycling bin. I work on the principle that if they don't want to recycle it they can throw it away. 

From time to time the bin police catch me out.

Go to a rural one in wales. they don't give a toss. We took a van and cleared a house and only on the 4th trip did they start to ask questions. 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Just leave the bits you don't want in a beauty spot. If caught claim to be a persecuted minority. 

Indeed. The pikeys round here burn their own waste on site and flytip everyone else's. 

27 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Since our local Household Waste Recycling Centre started charging £2.50 for a bag of DIY waste I just leave it all in a heap round the side of my house and add small amounts to our general waste wheelie bin each week. Often I drop a bit into neighbouring bins too. I'm sure the bin men can see the pile getting smaller each week but they've never rejected it. I couldn't fit the old toilet and sink in whole so I took a club hammer to them and fed the pieces into the bin over a few weeks (too heavy for one load - didn't want to make it too obvious). The 400 old bricks took some time to get rid of but luckily a friend had a skip they didn't fill and I got rid of a couple of hundred that way.

I do the same with garden waste. Bag it up and drop it in the wheelie bin.

Fuck the council. I pay all that Council Tax and yet the fuckers want me to pay again to dump my waste. Fuckers.

Agreed. Its crazy. To me the best place to deliver rubbish is to a tip. They can sort it and recycle what they can then landfill the rest. They are experts. Rubbish is sorted in one place. The onerous legislation adds fuck all. In fact it just means that a nice kitchen had to go to the tip. A welsh tip. Instead of it being recycled. And if I was a pikey it would be down the local lane in a layby. And what is this v5 bollocks about? Gone mad.

I've said before that councils' attitude to waste is just wrong. Everything brought to a tip is something that will not be dumped in a layby which the council will have to clear up.

So you should welcome people to your tip and be grateful that they have taken the time and trouble to bring their waste to a designated area where it can be dealt with easily.

There should be a reward scheme going on, something like reward points for free parking vouchers for every bag delivered, not refusal to take some things and charging for others.

The councils should recognise when people are doing them a favour rather than adopting their usual surly jobsworth persona.

(Ignore the below, it grows when I try to delete it, like a garden!)

@the gardenergardennebgardenergargardenergardennebgardenerg

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've said before that councils' attitude to waste is just wrong. Everything brought to a tip is something that will not be dumped in a layby which the council will have to clear up.

Oldham spent 56k on clearing flytipping last year. (Think I read that)

Found a juicier figure of 50m for the UK though
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/02/fly-tipping-clean-up-costs-50m-as-cases-in-england-rise-for-third-year-in-a-row

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Pretty obvious that charging for waste disposal doesn't magically reduce waste, but simply incentivises people to dump it elsewhere.

Not to the fuckwits who are responsible for these servces at the council.

Like the way that councils slash adult social care (home help) funding which then costs the NHS ten times the saving made because they cannot discharge people back into their own homes as there is no "care package" (home help) available and have to keep them in hospital.

As long as the saving is in your budget and the much bigger cost is in somebody's else's budget then it's not your problem; it is their's.

The cost of a lorry trailer (probably £1500) is evidently less than the cost of disposing of the waste you can fill it with:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2016/03/04/what-a-load-of-rubbish-huge-lorry-load-of-waste-abandoned-by-road/

Another one (56 tonnes is impressive in one trailer and took some balls to move it)

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2016-09-15/company-fined-20-000-over-abandoned-waste-trailer/

This lot did even better with 90 tonnes - seems like a record - unsurprisingly it sank into the road

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34998768

_87023582_87017140.jpg

Edited by SNACR

9 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Agreed. Its crazy. To me the best place to deliver rubbish is to a tip. They can sort it and recycle what they can then landfill the rest. They are experts. Rubbish is sorted in one place. The onerous legislation adds fuck all. In fact it just means that a nice kitchen had to go to the tip. A welsh tip. Instead of it being recycled. And if I was a pikey it would be down the local lane in a layby. And what is this v5 bollocks about? Gone mad.

Isn't even a case of that - use the local tip and drop it off yourself you are effectively doing their job for them - they expect you to sort and put material in appropriate skips.

Then they go and want to charge / restrict ability to do that.

The hypocrites then complain about recycling rates.

I still think dumping it outside your own house and calling the council to report flytipping has some merit. One day I'll try it.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Oldham spent 56k on clearing flytipping last year. (Think I read that)

Found a juicier figure of 50m for the UK though
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/02/fly-tipping-clean-up-costs-50m-as-cases-in-england-rise-for-third-year-in-a-row

I'm shocked... that it's so low.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I still think dumping it outside your own house and calling the council to report flytipping has some merit. One day I'll try it.

Just make sure there is nothing that can be used to identity you or your address mixed in with it.