DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Jack Hargreaves appriciation thread.

Bobthebuilder

Joncrete Cungle

I could watch his programmes all day, much to the annoyance of everyone else at home. The theme tunes transport me back to a magical time riding in the cab of an old Ford tractor making silage with a drag chopper, being sent on foot back to the farm to being more bottles of pop for thirsty workers. Spending all day getting in and out of a landrover opening and closing gates.

• Love 1
  • Cheers 4

Joncrete Cungle

I have watched that episode before Bob, fascinating history and geography lesson all rolled into one. Plus an encyclopaedic knowledge of the countryside its flora and fauna.

In the oldests class of 30 odd at school ours was the only one who knew milk came from a cow, spuds were harvested from the earth etc.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Bus Stop Boxer

I grew up on the Cranborne Chase.

The old man was born in Tarrant Monkton.

His dad and grandad had the bakers.

Pissed it all up the wall in the Langton Arms.

In one episode Jack also visited the village i grew up in nearby.

Visited the wheelwright, who was my mates step dad, still made cartwheels well in to the 80s.

From memory he made Jacks cart for him.

Had a few in the Truelovers Knot on way back from cricket matches.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

The old man was born in Tarrant Monkton.

His dad and grandad had the bakers.

Pissed it all up the wall in the Langton Arms.

You probably know a few friends of mine, I have spent quite some time and money in the Langton Arms. My mates' family were born and bred in Tarrant Launceston, was only there with him last summer, I am staying at the Langton again this summer.

I have quite a few photos of the valley.

IMG_20210828_140652.thumb.jpg.e6e3e983a859ba412d19f05d831fe24b.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Bus Stop Boxer
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

You probably know a few friends of mine, I have spent quite some time and money in the Langton Arms. My mates' family were born and bred in Tarrant Launceston, was only there with him last summer, I am staying at the Langton again this summer.

I have quite a few photos of the valley.

IMG_20210828_140652.thumb.jpg.e6e3e983a859ba412d19f05d831fe24b.jpg

I will admit, i've only been to Tarrant Monkton twice in my life.

I was in the TLN about 5 years ago on the way back from Kingston Lacy.

I worked in Blandford when i left school, and drove on the A354 every day through Tarrant Hinton.

Lived in nearby Farnham for 21 years from birth. Don't recognise it now. Gentrified doesn't really cover it.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

Is the old Mill pool still there that Jack fished in a couple of episodes? Holiday pics in this thread please @BobthebuilderI definitely want to visit that area one day, just need to convince the Mrs.

He fished the pond at Fiddleford in one episode, that's a nice place, and the Fiddleford Inn is great for some nose bag and a pint.

The episode that he caught eels in is in a location that I am unaware of.

Here's my pic of the lepers squint.IMG_20210828_165056.thumb.jpg.4373179e1606fd0af6458703c8c4f34a.jpg

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Bobthebuilder

Ashmore pond. 220 meters above sea level, probably the highest village in Dorset.

IMG_20220429_131424.thumb.jpg.06e3398acdaaf0e5ccd7eb9594476081.jpg

The black stuff you can see at the front edge of the pond, is thousands of tadpoles.

• Cheers 2

haroldshand

Loved Jack Hargreaves, he gave me my love of all things rural, he made British fishing and the rivers and lakes sound like Wind in the Willows and that they were different worlds.

If you never believed in British culture than all you had to do is point people to Jack

• Agree 2