DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Future Classics.

Bus Stop Boxer

Not if you want to drive it. 
Active suspension system is reliably temperamental and expensive to fix plus another long list of things that can go wrong almost all expensive.

A lot of performance for the money but they’re not engaging to drive always feels closer to a fast BMW or Audi saloon than a thoroughbred sports car.

• Informative 2

17 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

I drove one of them once, what a complete dog! The auto box was a right load o shite too.....

Maybe the one I drove wasn't a 5 litre lardy piece of crap :P The ex liked it......she wasn't a hairdresser but that's for hairdressers and sad old cunts xD

• Informative 2

7 hours ago, Easylife said:

I prefer the older W107 SL, it has more character 

You're looking at £30k plus for a good un though. 

Problem is, all the well built mercs of the mid 90s have reached classic status already. Then after that you have the shit from the Daimler-Chrysler era which will never have the same draw. 

• Agree 2

Luckily I’ve had my 500SL almost 20 years. It is mostly restored, just a  bit of maintenance to get it back on the road when I return to the UK. I love the car, but I’m not sure if I’ll keep it long term because sourcing parts may become an issue and the cost of parts can be excessive.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, nirvana said:

I drove one of them once, what a complete dog! The auto box was a right load o shite too.....

Maybe the one I drove wasn't a 5 litre lardy piece of crap :P The ex liked it......she wasn't a hairdresser but that's for hairdressers and sad old cunts xD

SLK is the hairdressers’ one.

sleepwello'nights
2 hours ago, Albo said:

You're looking at £30k plus for a good un though. 

Problem is, all the well built mercs of the mid 90s have reached classic status already. Then after that you have the shit from the Daimler-Chrysler era which will never have the same draw. 

There are still loads of mid 90s available under £10K. I'm toying with the idea of an E class convertible (A 124), coupe (c 124), or an estate (S124). 

There are several that are currently advertised with less than 100,000 miles. 

I had an estate from new that I sold at 130,000 miles. Wish I'd kept it. 

I absolutely hate the term "future/modern classic"... it's what has destroyed the chances of ordinary genuine petrol heads being able to own and enjoy relatively cheap yet interesting older cars as they're all now going for stupid money due to being bought by speculative investors and then horded away and treated as garage ornaments to preserve their perceived value.

I also think with the ongoing war on ICE anyone would now have to be very brave to bank on the same insane level of price rises that we've seen in recent years for "future classics" going forward. 

Having said all that I am quite surprised that the R171 SLK 55 doesn't really seem to have been caught up in the most recent round of insane free Rishimoney price rises that all other "future classics" have seen, 05 and 06 examples are still more or less the same prices they were 4 or 5 years ago.

• Agree 2

Austin/Rover Metro & 100 series. 

On the subject of Mercedes, I like the 190 series (W201 I think) and the original C class that replace it in 1993. :)

• Agree 1

belfastchild

Future classics are what the people with money now/in the future were driving as a first car.

Im probably one of the last with a decent pension payout, young enough to enjoy it. I went to look at a mk1 fiesta doer upper last year and thought, fuck me, how shit was this and I remember it struggling getting up the motorway to where I now live and I weigh a bit more than I did then! Abolutely stupid money, probably never recoverable.

• Agree 3